Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 10:07 AM
Banned

What are the original game kunark and velious references? I feel like those continents are just too big in norrath that they wouldn’t put more clues if it was always intended.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:07 AM
Banned

Would*
Old 10-12-2019, 10:11 AM
Planar Protector

The vast majority of people on my server and the forums I went to at the time of Luclin's release absolutely eviscerated the new models on how bad they looked. People got used to them out of necessity and because they were still addicted/invested and/or felt the connection with their raid guild.

Its kinda funny how many P99 players consider those models superior. Then again my personal opinion is that people have some serious rose colored glasses on about Lucllin as a whole. Anyone who pines for that expansion makes me wonder if they ever actually raided the travesty that was VT or if their memory just tuned out what a slog that shit was to clear.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:14 AM
Planar Protector

At the seaports in-game there are signs for travel to Velious (in Erudin) and Kunark (In East Freeport). Presumably those are the areas the ships to travel to said continents were originally intended to connect from. This means that the continents were still planned when these areas were constructed and textured--which was accomplished very early on, like 1997ish. With the relative lack of NPC's in the world it can be inferred that the two additional continents were pushed back sometime after world building but before population took place.

Danth
Old 10-12-2019, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(can't edit in RnF)

Why do a moon? Easy, and I don't fault 'em for it: They wanted more landmass, didn't want normal players running around the god-tier planes all the time, and didn't want to simply keep adding on more and more new somehow-indiscovered continents into the game world. Within the requirements of maintaining a somewhat plausible cover story for an expansion while not constantly repeating themselves, I can let that explanation pass.

Danth
Makes sense when you put it like that, still though I personally to prefer to think EQ ceased to exist after Velious, which was getting bad enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortles Snort|eS [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yoU caN teLL whEn moNey triUmPHd OvEr SoUL

*big empty white zones*
Old 10-12-2019, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With the relative lack of NPC's in the world
**who talk about those places. Oops. Again, can't edit in RnF. I need to proofread my posts better in this sub-forum.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:18 AM
Banned

What I love is that the creator was some sort of genius meth head or whatever. He might of had all these ideas at once then forgot them tomorrow.

And we’re left trying to figure out what this guy was thinking while he was completely zooted and dreaming about elf world possibilities.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
At the seaports in-game there are signs for travel to Velious (in Erudin) and Kunark (In East Freeport). Presumably those are the areas the ships to travel to said continents were originally intended to connect from. This means that the continents were still planned when these areas were constructed and textured--which was accomplished very early on, like 1997ish. With the relative lack of NPC's in the world it can be inferred that the two additional continents were pushed back sometime after world building but before population took place.

Danth
Yeah, in that sense if those released the same time it would look right and might not be the way they are. New computer tech was releasing at rapid pace back during this time, a computer could be obsolete in 6 months in some cases. They were trying to keep up with the new tech.. imagine if EQ released in 2003.. holy moly it would have looked terrible all around.

Coldain dwarfs would be snow white kaladim dwarfs, Kromriff giants would be fat dumpy looking Hill Giants (perhaps wearing armor). Giants are supposed to be stupid as they were struck down by the Rathe.. they wouldn't have cranes like those found in WL unless done so by another race helping them. Their text messages are also too elaborate for their supposed intelligence.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What I love is that the creator was some sort of genius meth head or whatever. He might of had all these ideas at once then forgot them tomorrow.

And we’re left trying to figure out what this guy was thinking while he was completely zooted and dreaming about elf world possibilities.
Left room for the imagination. If it was done today be professional games people, which degrees from Collins College, you wouldn't have to worry as it would all be explained to you. The RPG mechanics of the game wouldn't be there, because lol RPG is only for microtransaction gear upgrade use. Text chat wouldn't be there because who does that in the year 2008+

It would be like Anthem, have a very impressive trailer movie and then the game would be quietly sat on a shelf after the initial sales and MTX money was brought in. EQ would have to look good on youtube channels like Angry Joe. It would also need to fully work on consoles with controllers & tablet mobile touch screens.

*makes wanking motions* [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-12-2019, 10:59 AM
Sarnak

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenlaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well you just sound like a crazy person because the updated character models were much better, I used them for as long as I could on P99, and the server would be better if I could still use them.
Truly gross