Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 08:27 AM
Kobold

Smile Everquest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Those two have different roles even though paladins have "cleric spells". Pally will be tanking and cleric will be healing. I don't really think any classes are "bad", but many people on p99 put way too much stock in min-maxing.
This quote in a paladin thread from a brand new p99'er made me think about why I play, and probably why most of us play...

Let's be supportive of all the newbs out there, because honestly, we were all newbs at one point, and for some reason we have played this long!!

No classes are bad, that's true, or they wouldn't be part of such a GREAT game. Also "game" is a key word here. We are playing a video game, there's only value in its pixels and coins within the game. So many players are hung up on min-maxing and hitting the raid scene. WHY lol this game has so much more to offer, and we're telling brand new players about why they should or shouldn't make a certain race or class because of the raid scene.....please don't tell newbs to p99 about the raid scene HAHA

Look back to when you first started EQ, and why you picked up p99, encourage the new players so they can share a similar experience.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:03 AM
Planar Protector

Red face

When I first started EverQuest on Live, I picked an Ogre Warrior. This was a terrible idea. I will therefore attest to the fact that bad race/class picks exist, and to that you should not make one your first pick.

That doesn't mean Warrior is a bad class, or Ogre is a bad race. It just means you need a hundred thousand pp or so to make playing an Ogre Warrior to 60 a not-frustrating experience, and that pp is not best obtained by gritting your teeth and suffering my frustration of an untwinked Ogre Warrior.

When I started P99, I used that experience to make an amazing Halfling Druid, which I continue to have fun with to this day. Far more than I ever did on Live, honestly. I can't recommend it enough. It's an amazing first-character pick, and it goes to show which race/class you pick first affects your experience in a huge way. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-05-2018, 09:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I first started EverQuest on Live, I picked an Ogre Warrior. This was a terrible idea. I will therefore attest to the fact that bad race/class picks exist, and to that you should not make one your first pick.

That doesn't mean Warrior is a bad class, or Ogre is a bad race. It just means you need a hundred thousand pp or so to make playing an Ogre Warrior to 60 a not-frustrating experience, and that pp is not best obtained by gritting your teeth and suffering my frustration of an untwinked Ogre Warrior...
Like you, my first real main was a non-magic using melee class - Wood Elf Rogue. In hindsight, people who rolled trinity classes, or soloers like Necro must have had an incredibly different experience than I had.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:15 AM
Kobold

I think the community, by and large, is quite helpful to new players. That includes helping guide them onto paths that lead to the least amount of obstacles and headaches, so they don't suffer needlessly. This can be a grueling game at times, and the grind to 60 is a long, long ways away. So knowing which classes and combinations are the most effective is incredibly helpful in the long run. Want to roll a Dark Elf Necro? Great! But it's important to know that Iksar is hands down, without question, the best race for the class and the one that will provide the easiest leveling experience.

And while every class has their place, there are some like Wizard who get bent over pretty hard for almost the entire game. Your dps is terrible, everyone knows it's terrible, and that really sucks because it's a fun class. It won't prevent me from inviting one into my groups, but it will for a lot of people, and that's also important to know.

While I understand the point of your post, I think you're missing the idea of why people try to steer players in the direction of the min-max raid scene: Because they might get there. It would be an awful feeling to spend all those hundreds of hours leveling to 60, only to realize how much easier life would have been if you'd just rolled X instead of Y, and how much more fun you'd be having right now if you'd only done Z.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:57 AM
Banned

....but what about Wizards after level 46?
Old 09-05-2018, 08:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroP99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only classes needed for raiding are Warrior and Cleric, everything else is just cannon fodder or a luxury. Morale of the story is play whatever looks cool because Chardok Proxy ruined any semblance of 'classic' years ago by providing an alt puppy mill that injected thousands of level 60 toons onto the server.

#NewServer
#NoRecharges
#NoMQ
#NoChardokAoE
#RootTheDragons
Speak it, homie!
Old 09-05-2018, 10:54 PM
Fire Giant

Question is does the new server have 25 mob limit aoe right at the start or does it have 25 mob limit after 5 years of kunark.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesselring [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Question is does the new server have 25 mob limit aoe right at the start or does it have 25 mob limit after 5 years of kunark.
I don't think 25 mobs was even a thing on live - it was just put in here to stop zone disruption in terms of bard kiting, Chardok lockdown because of AOE at the entrance, etc.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don’t think any class is “fun” at the high end raid scene. The most fun in this game is small group adventures. Through that lense every class bring a unique skill set.
This is SO true. High end raids (with no PvP competition available) are boring as hell, since there is nothing left to discover and everyone is just going through the motions of grinding down the trash mobs and then doing the prescribed setup needed to beat the "boss" mob. The game (aka a properly re-tooled classic EQ) needs a big revamp in some of the combat mechanics.

In the current game, it's much more fun doing the most you can with a single group, trying to maximize your ability with what you've got available. Although unfortunately for high-end Kunark and especially Velious content, it does get rather impossible to do things without specific classes available (assuming regular gear), and even in these situations the gameplay could be way better, as we're still saddled with the one-dimensional combat mechanics of the game.

(whoever was named "Dad" on the forum seems to have been deleted, along with all their posts, WTF?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
....but what about Wizards after level 46?
Very fun on a pre-Velious PvP server. Thinking about them in PvE is a depressing thought.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:50 PM
Fire Giant

I try to be helpful as I can and am rather forthcoming with information from my experience. However I also don't sugar coat things and will offer up (meta-game) advice to players if they ask or seem like they are interested in said information.

There is players more experienced than myself (always a bigger fish, or in this case unemployed fish) but I do have 5 going on 6 level 60s. Problem is alot of players don't like to share knowledge or I information sometimes because it hurts their bottom line (if they farm something on particular or a timer etc) myself one of my favorite things to do recently was teaching another player how to play an enchanter and watching him grow and learn in confidence with the class all the way to 60
Closed Thread