Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 06:32 AM
Sarnak

Default A new-old Cleric

So I found p99 the other day and was delighted. I had said in a recent post somewhere else how the hardcore-nature of classic EQ was attractive, because it was hard, you had to work for it and corpse runs where really tricky sometimes.

I had forgotten just how hard, to the point of tedious, it was. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I started in Qeynos, because of nostalgia. It really isn't the centre of the world, but p99 is all about nostalgia, so what the heck.

Didn't really spend time to re-familiarise myself with the UI before I started to wander around. Of course the first thing I did was fall down the sewers and drown. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] just like 15 years ago. I am so used to the fluid movement of newer things I play that it took me several hours to relearn.

I forgot how bloody dark it is in tunnels, at night, when it rains, on a human. Thank Karana for fire beatle eyes and gamma correction. I zoned in and out of North/South Qyenos tunnel a few times, before I fixed the gamma and turn down the light in the room.

I also forgot how tedious it is to be a shit-melee caster before you get meditate. Level 5-8 in Qyenos Hills is loooong. I had forgotten how far between the mobs it was. And Blackburrow is yet a bit too hard solo as a level 5 with gear you pick up on the way.

Enough griping. At least people you meet are friendly. See you around, if I can hack it (with a cracked staff).
Old 07-09-2015, 07:12 AM
Sarnak

Love return stories like this, I remember I started a halfling for my first time when I got back into eq on p99, ran into the river and forgot you can't look up and swim in 3rd person view, then I moved back to 1st person and it all came pouring back in how to play the game, CS style with mouse look and straifing.

Much classic feels, enjoy your time!
Old 07-09-2015, 07:19 AM
Sarnak

Ah, you can't look up in 3rd person view. That was it. I played entirely in 1sr person originally, but has since then switched in other games.

How do you do propper mouse look?
Old 07-09-2015, 09:44 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Can't swim in 3rd person?

Page up/down by default will have you look up/down (swim up/down) while in 3rd person.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaral [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can't swim in 3rd person?

Page up/down by default will have you look up/down (swim up/down) while in 3rd person.
Thanks. Still getting used to that. I am so used to mouselook.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:43 PM
Sarnak

Naxy - You can mouselook by holding down the right mouse button (in first person).
Old 07-11-2015, 04:17 AM
Sarnak

Yeah, sorry, I meant stear entirely by mouse. Mouselook here seem to limit me to a 90? degree arc in front of me. Maybe I missed a setting?
Old 07-11-2015, 09:53 AM
Planar Protector

I seem to remember doing something like that once years ago by accident. You have to hold down one mouse button (left?) to make the character start moving forward and then move the view around/steer with the other (right?). Or maybe the middle mouse button was involved at some point, but I think that may just be the zoom...

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 07-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Sarnak

Ok, thanks friends. I'll try that.

Further adventures last night involved grinding, grinding and grinding some more. Did some "awesome" wolf hide armour quests for a few more AC. /s (I love the fact that every AC point matters.)

Got jumped by a putrid skelly and to my surprise it was an easy kill. But darn it sucks to not be able to med yet. I'll need to grind to lvl eight ASAP.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Sarnak

So today I had a very nice person travel far (well he could port, but nevertheless) to come and buff and sow me. He just asked which zone I was in and showed up without me asking. You know who you are. Thanks!

I also helped an "evil wizard" do some shopping and he gave me a nice tip. Spell purchasing secured next level when there are new spells, nice!

Level eight is in sight. Qeynos hills is a bit overrun by bards. Bards, bards, everywhere and nobody groups. Everybody soloing. Oh well, I suppose they'll want buffs and rezzes soon enough. Maybe they'll group then. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread