Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

View Poll Results: Which race is best for an Enchanter that will also be a crafter?
Gnome 9 30.00%
Dark Elf 15 50.00%
Erudite 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 07:16 AM
Orc

Default Enchanter Race - DElf vs. Gnome

Hello,

I am deciding between D.Elf and Gnome as a race for enchanter; while I understand there are 'better' races in terms of starting stats (e.g. High Elf or Human), I am set on either D.Elf or Gnome because I can't really stand how the other races look except for maybe Erudites, but Erudites don't get hide or tinkering!

Gnomes have more stamina when comparing the two races side-by-side after adding +25 CHA and +5 STA to either, which also seems 'better'.

I see tinkering as fun and entertaining and I could make stalking probes for necromancers - including my own - but am not sure if there's really any benefit to having tinkering as an enchanter - is there? I just don't know the ins-and-outs as I am still pretty green to all of this.

Additionally, a gnome enchanter may also serve as a legit. blacksmith too in that they could also enchant ore to create magical items from what I understand - is that correct? Not that a D.Elf enchanter - or other race - couldn't do the enchanted ore and magical item crafting thing, but it makes more sense to have a more focused crafter like having tinkering AND blacksmithing all on the same enchanter, right?

Is 'hide' really that important for an enchanter in that it is 'game-changing' or a 'game-breaker'? Is 'hide' really that much more important than 'tinkering' and +5 more STA by default? +5 STA seems way more important then -1 INT when comparing the two side-by-side anyway.

Hope that wasn't too wordy, and, thanks in advance for the help!

-Oz
Last edited by oZtiaZ; 04-09-2020 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: auto-correct is annoying
Old 04-09-2020, 07:38 AM
Orc

There's nothing *wrong* with it, and you should play what you like.

That said, I rolled an Erudite enchanter on live and always regretted it. Ultravision is amazing and Hide is very helpful (not necessary, but helpful) for breaking charm/anim on demand.

That said, this is the worst class to play where you are selecting the race based on looks/appearances. You can always illusion to a different race if you like the aesthetics, but more importantly, you're very likely to end up spending a lot of your time as an air or water elemental anyway for reagent-free levitate/EB.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:51 AM
Sarnak

D elf and gnome both have garbage starting cha. It's the cloest thing to a "game breaker". It's not go to make much difference long term when you are fully geared... but as soon as you start lulling and charming when doing CR you are going to massively miss not having high start cha. There only three nechanter races imo human, erudite, high elf.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by axisofebola [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
D elf and gnome both have garbage starting cha. It's the cloest thing to a "game breaker". It's not go to make much difference long term when you are fully geared... but as soon as you start lulling and charming when doing CR you are going to massively miss not having high start cha. There only three nechanter races imo human, erudite, high elf.
My min max!

Hey OP, do you think dark elfs are cool or do you like gnomes? do you have a little story about your character or find something interesting about them?

As far as dungeon CR lulls go.. oh well. The dark lord Innoruuk didn't bless you with the ability and prefers you to just dominate, by his will if you or your group mates die like fools deep in a dungeon.. GOOD! your punishment is bad lull pains.

As for gnomes..I don't know, use your imagination rather than something stats because the next thing you will be asking is if a Duke controller is compatible with EQ.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:03 AM
Planar Protector

agnostic erudite is neutral which has it's own perks that dark elf or gnome may suffer from
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:05 AM
Banned

For OP
Old 04-09-2020, 09:12 AM
Planar Protector

Erudite put all points in AGI

*** gnomes TRIGGER me
Old 04-09-2020, 09:26 AM
Planar Protector

I'm leaning hard on dark elf these days, they are so cool looking and can see SO WELL.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:41 AM
Planar Protector

You're gaining 6-7 int and losing 20 cha over the elf. Hide and Tinkering and 5 stamina are worthless I mean you if must tinker then I understand but the practical effects are nil.

At 50, you'll notice those missing 13-14 points very little. At 60 you won't notice them at all.

I did all the research and I chose my enchanter race based on how it renders the breasts. I like a certain look.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're gaining 6-7 int and losing 20 cha over the elf. Hide and Tinkering and 5 stamina are worthless I mean you if must tinker then I understand but the practical effects are nil.

At 50, you'll notice those missing 13-14 points very little. At 60 you won't notice them at all.

I did all the research and I chose my enchanter race based on how it renders the breasts. I like a certain look.
Erudite butts best butts
Closed Thread