Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 08:24 PM
Planar Protector

Jaspers are the Demon's Souls grass of EverQuest for paladins; if wanting to single-player RPG your MMO, invest in reagents even at the expense of finesse stats. Deepwater Helm/BP both outshine +20 wisdom. And all five of the playable races can use deepwater armor so they're more or less equal, which is excluding the two or three halfling paladins that might still exist. Not having access to DW clickies has to be the least min/max solo-friendly option, everything else is can be made up for without too much trouble. Soloing shamans manage well enough without JBB and the same goes for shadow knights without BE greaves, but DW breastplate significantly speeds up the process for paladins.

Personally, after selecting high elf, most of the starting points were put into STA without hesitation, in order to compensate for the deficiency; only recently has that character neared 5100 HP fully raid buffed and that's still while falling short of max stamina with riotous health. Not that divine intervention ever finds its way into a knight's buff window, but having extra charisma could save one's life while tanking in a clear and direct way, which is more than could be said for the other stats. In terms of flavor, that is the most paladin stat simply due to how it interacts with DI.
Last edited by Ennewi; 05-13-2021 at 08:54 PM..
Old 05-14-2021, 04:36 AM
Planar Protector

20 points anyplace won't make or break you. 20 points just isn't that big a difference in a game like EQ where you usually need a lot of something before you notice all that much improvement. STR is great on a fresh server (or for a character who wants to obtain his own gear) but it's the easiest stat to raise on a mature server. Charisma and Wisdom can be nice, especially for solo'ing. Stamina is a safe dump stat since it raises the e-peen stat that tanks usually compare themselves against, but in actual practice all tank types have sufficient HP for all group content. The Cleric in your Hole XP grind doesn't actually care whether you have 4200 vs. 4290 and he's bored CH'ing you way early either way.

Point being you should feel okay just about regardless of where you put your points. Avoid INT for obvious reasons. Don't put them in agility unless you're a dwarf or erudite who needs 5 to reach 75. DEX probably isn't worth investment except for some very specific circumstances. Otherwise whatever you did you aren't really going to go too wrong.

Danth
Old 05-14-2021, 07:19 AM
Banned

High elfs already have good charisma. I got a high elf pally to 35 with 65 str some years ago untwinked ick... def at least aim for str if high elf and not twinking wr bags. Ur going to want to aim for whatever allows u to wear diamond, blue diamonds if u want to raid.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:56 AM
Planar Protector

Yep. And a fair amount of the more attainable, tankier Velious drops will lead to encumbrance issues fast.

Chestplate of Vindication
Str: 0
Wt: 25

Cloak of Silver Eyes
Str: 0
Wt: 14.4

Gloves of Stability
Str: 7
Wt: 20
Old 05-14-2021, 02:25 PM
Planar Protector

Add Cloak of the Maelstrom 3str 20wt and Imbued Granite Spaulders (19.4 wt) to that list!!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 05-15-2021, 08:40 PM
Fire Giant

I love soloing on my Pally ajd did it almost all the way to 60. It is a ton of fun and much faster than most think. I don’t think the stat allocation makes a huge deal one way or the other. I went high elf and had miserable strength (still do) all the way up.

If you are going solo make sure you get a
https://wiki.project1999.com/Luminary_Two_Handed_Sword

Free 32 charisma buff will help you with the paci. Once you hit 54 and get Enstill, as long as you are fighting level appropriate mobs a crit fail you should be able to camp out like 95% of the time without dying.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Add Cloak of the Maelstrom 3str 20wt and Imbued Granite Spaulders (19.4 wt) to that list!!
Luckily a white bear cloak only costs a bit more than a Maelstrom and weighs nothing.

I’m constantly struggling with eru strength (5agi 20 str, starting points for me) and no tink bags. Might have to finally face that head on.

My last post had some whiskey brashness to it. Do whatever you want OP. The class is a solid performer but really comes into its own at 57 and 59 via spells. It’s a slow road; I regret not putting those points in stamina but chardok gear has a ton of it. Nothing is a dealbreaker to be honest.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:13 AM
Fire Giant

Heres how i look at it: What would you choose for a free item at lvl 1 thats always equipped in its own slot? A: item that gives you +104 hp eventually B: item that gives you like 20 strength from lvl 1 and up C: about +20 mana (depending on your level and current WIS) D: a very slight increase in Lul effectiveness
Old 05-17-2021, 11:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormcow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
D
Old 05-17-2021, 05:11 PM
Planar Protector

Strength if you’re a casual pally and just want to enjoy the leveling path to 60.
Charisma if you’re hardcore and trying to get every stat closest to max.
Wisdom if you’re not casual but also not accumulating massive amounts of dkp for consistent top tier loot.
Last edited by Crede; 05-17-2021 at 05:15 PM..
Closed Thread