Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Aviak

Default Spell casting mechanics vs mobs!

Hi,

Been trying to figure it out on wiki.

Do any of you know the game mechanics behind spell casting? - whats the max lvl you can cast on with a succesfull landing rate?

Let say im lvl 29, what is the highest level mobs I would be able to land spells on?
Old 07-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Planar Protector

I think you can technically land spells on any monster, but your chance of landing it gets super-low. For instance, if I wander around Mistmoore on my 57 wizard and aggro a bunch of spell-casters, I'll resist most of what they throw at me, but once in a while something will land (especially Boil Blood, which has a -100 resist modifier). It works similarly the other way around.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Aviak

I'm aware of that.

What would you recommand being the max level mobs above your own level ? when you want to have chance for hitting, but still be able to hit highest level mob possible? without wasting the mana? +3? +4?
Old 07-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Planar Protector

What are you trying to accomplish?
Raids will have tash, malo, and hopefully bard debuffs on the mob, but being L60 also greatly helps.
In exp groups, as a mage or wiz I probably wouldn't toss more than a single nuke on each mob unless shit was hitting the fan and things needed to die now, regardless of resists.
In solo exp, the most efficient option has always been "lowest level mobs that are still dark blue."
Old 07-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Aviak

I'm trying to accomplish some PL for a wizard by a Monk.

Therefor I would like to take highest possible mobs down, without using my entire manapool due to resists.
I know a good spot for PL, but its lvl 35 mobs, and so far im lvl 29. Would I be able to hit them with fair chance?
Old 07-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Banned

Back in the day some mobs were more resistant than others
Old 07-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyboyo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm trying to accomplish some PL for a wizard by a Monk.

Therefor I would like to take highest possible mobs down, without using my entire manapool due to resists.
I know a good spot for PL, but its lvl 35 mobs, and so far im lvl 29. Would I be able to hit them with fair chance?
Would it be viable for the monk to leave the monster with so little HP that you can melee it dead? This would definitely save you med time and let you take down very high level monsters. As Falkun's noted, resists are very noticeable even for a high dark blue monster. I'm not convinced that nuking is the right answer in this scenario.

A different method for wizard PL that would work nicely is to hire a bard and do AE kiting. The bard gets low HP, gets a ton of monsters that con dark blue to you in an outdoor zone, trains it onto you, and you time a PBAE so that it hits them as they pass. This may be faster than a monk PL, not sure though.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 07-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyboyo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi,

Been trying to figure it out on wiki.

Do any of you know the game mechanics behind spell casting? - whats the max lvl you can cast on with a succesfull landing rate?

Let say im lvl 29, what is the highest level mobs I would be able to land spells on?
If I'm not mistaken there is a rule which says you can't land spells on NPC's x levels above you. I thought it was 7?

Although spell resists seem not to be classic on this server. I think the range at which you can land spells is much too tight, especially at lower levels. For example landing spells on a level 8 as a level 10 should be easier than landing the spells as if you were level 50 casting on a level 48 but that does not seem to be the case.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A different method for wizard PL that would work nicely is to hire a bard and do AE kiting. The bard gets low HP, gets a ton of monsters that con dark blue to you in an outdoor zone, trains it onto you, and you time a PBAE so that it hits them as they pass.
Easily faster than a monk at higher levels.

Hopefully they will fix it so the spike in aggro is based on a time limit and not permanent.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Orc

Quote:
I'm aware of that.

What would you recommand being the max level mobs above your own level ? when you want to have chance for hitting, but still be able to hit highest level mob possible? without wasting the mana? +3? +4?
If the mob is much more than 4 or 5 levels above you, resists are almost a given. Even white cons will resist with some frequency
Closed Thread