Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-23-2020, 03:45 PM
Planar Protector

Default Mac Laptop Temperature

Does anyone else have an issue with their Mac laptop getting super hot when playing P99, even with fans running at really high speed?

I don't run into this on any other type of computer. PC fine, Mac desktop fine, but my Mac laptop gets so hot that I can't even have it in my lap.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:25 PM
Planar Protector

If anyone has run into this issue and found a way to solve it I’d love to know
Old 06-24-2020, 06:31 AM
Planar Protector

Same issue with any Linux laptop but unfortunately since only a small percentage of P99 players use Linux (or Mac) to play P99, the devs don't care. My (uninformed) guess is that it is either the buggy implementation of dynamic lighting which is now forced for everyone, or some Themida options that use too much CPU/GPU for whatever reason. Maybe both.

Probably the dyn light thing though.

I fixed it by reducing my play time to essentially zero, as I don't really keep Windows computers around.
Last edited by Izmael; 06-24-2020 at 06:33 AM..
Old 06-24-2020, 09:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Same issue with any Linux laptop but unfortunately since only a small percentage of P99 players use Linux (or Mac) to play P99, the devs don't care. My (uninformed) guess is that it is either the buggy implementation of dynamic lighting which is now forced for everyone, or some Themida options that use too much CPU/GPU for whatever reason. Maybe both.

Probably the dyn light thing though.

I fixed it by reducing my play time to essentially zero, as I don't really keep Windows computers around.
I don't think it's the dynamic lighting for me because I had the same issue on Blue pre-Green and I think it wasn't forced back then. And if it was, why would my temps on every other type of computer be mostly fine?

I've heard people say something about the .dll causing temp issues but I don't really think that would be something that would cause it to be this drastic.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:10 PM
Planar Protector

What temperature is "super hot", Does your mac laptop have any sensors to relay temperatures to a program?

What model mac laptop, newer, older?
Do you play any other games on it and if so does it get hot?
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 06-24-2020 at 10:13 PM..
Old 06-27-2020, 07:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think it's the dynamic lighting for me because I had the same issue on Blue pre-Green and I think it wasn't forced back then. And if it was, why would my temps on every other type of computer be mostly fine?
Well, from my experience on Green, sometimes the dyn lighting thing would stop working. As in, a lightstone or a fire beetle eye wouldn't add any light to the scene. When this happened, my frame rate improved dramatically, to the point that when this bug occured, I would leave my character FD'd for days in game just to be able to play with a good FPS (relogging would reset the bug and FPS would go down to 10/15 in some areas again - namely Unrest, or - shiver - the tunnel).

So as far as I can tell the whole FPS issue / laptop not being able to keep up, therefore heating up, was linked directly to the dynamic lighting logic.

Quote:
I've heard people say something about the .dll causing temp issues but I don't really think that would be something that would cause it to be this drastic.
Yup, that could ALSO be an issue.

The DLL is packed with Themida, which is a commonly used software packer/scrambler that helps deterring reverse engineering of binaries. It is a very good thing that the P99's custom client-side code, contained in DSETUP.DLL is protected this way.

It sets the bar quite high for hacking the DLL, and it's a good thing. Themida has a million of options, some of them can cause high CPU usage because it can go to great lengths to add as much protection as possible.

Unfortunately these issues are unlikely to get looked into unless it affects enough people. I can see why the devs don't care - they see population numbers in the hundreds, they figure everything is fine.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What temperature is "super hot", Does your mac laptop have any sensors to relay temperatures to a program?

What model mac laptop, newer, older?
Do you play any other games on it and if so does it get hot?
Talking over 100 C (last time I used it, it hit 115 C). And that’s with using a program to control my fan speeds and set them to max. Now, I’m not an expert so maybe that’s sustainable but I’m not sure. It’s a MacBook Air that’s like a year old, maybe two years. It would get hot if I ran another game on it as well, but that would be a more modern and system intensive game so I’m not surprised by that, but I’m surprised a game like P99 would cause such an issue especially since it doesn’t cause it on any other computer I’ve tried it on.
Last edited by cd288; 06-29-2020 at 09:05 PM..