Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Sarnak

Default Sk vs pal

Just wondering what the pros and cons of each as a tank are. And which one make a more efficient tank in your opinion
Old 05-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Kobold

they are virtually identical since equipement has the same amounts of AC/HP and their defense caps are the same.
in the classic Era however, SK would benefit from being able to play ogres and trolls which gave them a significant HP bonus.
what also makes a good tank is the ability to hold aggro, which both do just as good. Paladins with their stuns, SK's with disease cloud and darkness spell line.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Kobold

Depends on the player, not the class. I've played with good tanks and rotten tanks. Class didn't make a difference, it's how well you play it. Play what you would enjoy more.

TZ-The Highland Army
SZ-Malignant, Hate

Stormhammer-Science of War
The Rathe-Precision Strike

R99 - 52 Necro
P99 - 34 Mage
Old 05-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Planar Protector

In short, the average experience group won't care which they have. Both hybrid tanks are broadly characterized by vastly superior hate generation but inferior durability relative to a Warrior. They're both superior to a Warrior in situations where maximum durability isn't needed, and particularly when good initial hate generation is desirable. This includes virtually all group content. Read on for more detailed thoughts.

I actually consider Paladins the superior group tank, at least on paper. They have more defensive tools and generally better ability to prevent other folks' deaths. Paladins' multiple stun spells also gives a decided advantage against spell caster monsters. Shadow Knights tend to be more reliant on having other group members do things like stop loose mobs or interrupt casters. The Paladin has access to buffs which ensure good defense even in groups which lack a Cleric. They also tend to be better-played on average; it's a straightforward class. Many Shadow Knights are incompetent and don't do anything while tanking except spam Disease Cloud.

In practice, the above doesn't matter very often because experience groups don't usually get into the near-death situations where the Paladin can really shine. In a controlled environment--the norm for an experience group--both classes can be used interchangeably. As I said, most groups think of them as generic "knights" and don't care which they invite.

Ogre Shadow Knights have roughly a ten percent hit point advantage up until you get into Velious raid loot. This makes them somewhat more likely to be chosen as tanks in a raid setting, but confers minimal advantage in regular group content. In practice the additional experience penalty of Ogres or Trolls will occasionally lose groups, while the stat advantages conferred by those races will essentially never win them groups.

Shadow Knights are superior to Paladins in non-tanking roles. The Shadow Knight can solo more easily after about level 15 or 22 at the latest, deals somewhat more damage, has the ability to feign pull, dies less often (feign), and comes with more quality-of-life utility (invisibility, levitate, enduring breath, see invis, etc) than the Paladin. This is why the Shadow Knight is marginally more popular than the Paladin on P1999. The Paladin's primary non-tanking advantage is in having access to relatively cheap equipment and (eventually) 90% res.

Danth
Old 05-19-2013, 06:39 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by raff01 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
SK's with disease cloud and darkness spell line.
it's funny how everywhere I go I always read that, and it's the same story in game. I feel like I'm the only SK using shadow vortex in between 2 DCs and before using a darkness spell for max aggro generation. From what I can tell it roughly has the same aggro value as DC which means solid value AND it's NOT a DoT.. Besides, it has precisely the same cooldown as DC which means either of em is always ready, doesn't cost too much mana either, casts quickly, useful buff + debuff, and best of all, you can cast it on other mezzed targets while you're tanking a mob to build up aggro in advance and have em on you as soon as mezzes break... I'm shocked I never hear that spell even mentioned, especially in this forum where aggro is often talked about [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Guess it's because it's a mid-lvl spell and many people give up on SKs early? Go figure
Old 05-20-2013, 06:19 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogdar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it's funny how everywhere I go I always read that, and it's the same story in game. I feel like I'm the only SK using shadow vortex in between 2 DCs and before using a darkness spell for max aggro generation. From what I can tell it roughly has the same aggro value as DC which means solid value AND it's NOT a DoT.. Besides, it has precisely the same cooldown as DC which means either of em is always ready, doesn't cost too much mana either, casts quickly, useful buff + debuff, and best of all, you can cast it on other mezzed targets while you're tanking a mob to build up aggro in advance and have em on you as soon as mezzes break... I'm shocked I never hear that spell even mentioned, especially in this forum where aggro is often talked about [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Guess it's because it's a mid-lvl spell and many people give up on SKs early? Go figure
You're not alone dude, I use Shadow Vortex all the time. Generates nice aggro and provides AC bonus.
However I don't use for aggro as it consumes much more mana than DC.
Closed Thread