Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

Fundamentally, what's broken?

There was originally a plan in EQ for spells to work differently in the planes. But because of the way the client and server handle spells (as static spdat files, with each spell getting an unchanging hardcoded reference that maps to a constant, unchanging spell effect), that wasn't possible.

Anyone who knows D&D knows spells are supposed to work differently (often unpredictably) in the alter planes.

If I were redesigning the EQ spell system, I'd have the client load its spell definitions from the server each time it zones.
Last edited by Dolalin; 06-16-2020 at 11:13 AM..
Old 06-16-2020, 11:30 AM
Aviak

A major positive about the EQ magic system that is absent from large majority of games that have "spells" is the idea of the spellbook and having to memorize the spells. I can have tool bars and hot keys, but I'm still bound to my number of memorization slots. It also makes combat abilities and other skills very distinct from spells. In EQ2, combat abilities just felt like Melee spells or spells just felt like caster abilities, however you want to look at it.

It's a small detail, but it majorly effects the way you play the game. Depending on your class, you have spells you'd never take off your memorized spells, and other spells that no matter how useful, you'd just memorize it when you need it, then remove it because you'll never need it on short notice.

Any game with similar mechanics is always worth a look in my opinion.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:47 AM
Planar Protector

Agree that Wiz shoulda get faster nukes and longer stun durations, and that spellbooks are great and that there should be more beards
Old 06-18-2020, 04:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggens [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agree that Wiz shoulda get faster nukes and longer stun durations, and that spellbooks are great and that there should be more beards
They do get longer stun durations, it’s just the problem is mobs have a work around. Mobs won’t be effected by stun for more than 3 seconds, even though some wizard stuns are meant to last more than twice that. Sad. Of course, if a wizard mob stuns a player that player is out of action for a long time.

Does anyone know when the mob stun duration limit was implemented? Was it as a balance response to a specific spell (whirl til you hurl?), or was it always there and the spell effect designer wasn’t aware of it? Or was it intended design that players get stunned for a longer time than npcs from day 1?

It would be great if the tishan/markar stuns would last their full duration on mobs.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There was originally a plan in EQ for spells to work differently in the planes. But because of the way the client and server handle spells (as static spdat files, with each spell getting an unchanging hardcoded reference that maps to a constant, unchanging spell effect), that wasn't possible.
I remember when the patch note for the planes came and it said that spells would behave differently! Me and my friends thought heal would do damage and stuff like that but nope, was so disappointed.

Was so excited about classes just totally becoming NEW classes when in certain zones.

Would've been interesting to see a ranger basically be a wizard because for some reason harmony does a DD in sky haha while a wizard plays as a healer because for some reason DD's heal people. Idk, I thought that would be cool as a kid, but now saying it out loud sounds pretty dumb. But idk.

...also necromancers should be able to have an army of skeletons!
Closed Thread