Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 04-13-2023, 11:31 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Norrath immigration form: Xablatan

Completely new to EverQuest, enjoying it quite a bit so far. I haven't posted in a forum like this since the Dink Network in 2012 so forgive me if my formatting is atrocious. I'm a level 8 Gnome magician looking for tips.

Currently split between leveling to 12 in Freeport or Greater Faydark, I made quite the trek to Freeport to sell bone chips but had no luck. Here's a pic of me stranded at the Island of the Sisters of Erollisi for 28 minutes because I thought it was Freeport.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Is Freeport really all it's made to be, or will I be fine in gfay? What's good grouping etiquette like? Finally I seem to have deleted the game window (with the quarterstaff and spell icons) in the bottom left corner of the screen in the above image. How do I get it back.

Thank you for reading, give me all your platinum.
Old 04-14-2023, 03:01 PM
Aviak

Welcome to P99. A magician is good class to start out as. Not great dungeon divers, but not bad nonetheless. You should consult the leveling guides on the wiki for additional resources. I personally never leveled much in Freeport area. I find getting buffs there is spotty. Players are either lazy and will not buff you or are afk. I recommend you go back to steamfont and level around the windmills. It is my go to place to level. You can get to level 12 easily there and then go to unrest. Unrest is when groups finally get a modicum of structure.

Crushbone is too crowded and a lot of times the groups there are too newbtastic to amount to anything useful. As a magician you provide reliable dps in groups. That is your role. Group etiquette is to maintain that role and nothing else. Most people are not chatty because we are all watching tv while playing this Grindy game.

I can’t more highly recommend you join a guild. You have immediate access to answers for many questions and also group content you may not otherwise have known. Joining a guild changed my P99 enjoyment drastically for the better. Good luck out there gnome.
Old 04-14-2023, 03:06 PM
Aviak

Alt+h for hotkey window, go past freeport to East commonlands and try sell your bone chips there. You’ll be fine on faydwer for quite some time, can easily level to 40 without leaving.
Old 04-14-2023, 04:17 PM
Fire Giant

Both crushbone and the oasis area are good. It just depends on what mood you're in.
Old 04-14-2023, 10:02 PM
Planar Protector

Which server are you on, green or blue. I’d be happy to group with you in the evening time.

You chose a pretty good first class I think. Mages are powerful and decent in both groups and soloing. With the current state of both servers, you really need to allow for the ability to solo. Sometimes finding a group can be difficult at certain level ranges. Certain classes have basically no solo ability, like warriors and rogues (unless you have extremely good gear)