Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 03:04 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow didn't curb stomp EQ in terms of sales because it's better, it curbstomped EQ in terms of sales because people are dumb. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Specifically, the people who were given product manager and marketing positions in Sony online Entertainment.

"Let's make a game that will compete with our own flagship, and release it half-developed so that it will be out in time to contest this other company's product that is also competing against our flagship!"

"I don't know boss, that sounds risky. How will it work?"

"Simple, we'll just let Blizzard spend all their money on saturating the advertising uncontested!"

"Genius!"

"I know!"
Old 11-01-2019, 08:41 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Would EQ be what it is by adding more QoL in order to gain the 10 million subs or would we be shitting on all of the EQ clones now because they copied something that sucked?
Well obviously we'd be shitting on the clones. It's what we do as gamers. It's part of our pedigree. However, I'd be happier with a world of EQ clones than WoW clones.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
However, I'd be happier with a world of EQ clones than WoW clones.
Why?
Last edited by Mblake81; 11-01-2019 at 08:45 AM..
Old 11-01-2019, 08:51 AM
Aviak

Because I believe EQ had a better overall design and course. So if it were all EQ clones, the new market of games would adhere closer to EQ's original design than what they all do with WoW's. If EQ had been the big boy, game design would have been completely different than it is now and games requiring socializing, grouping, painful death mechanics would be flooding the market today rather than MMO's that are solo play, with quest markers and instantly transporting harvested materials to your bank...AH, Teleports....bullcrap.

So in an alternate universe somewhere EQ was the big boy and all those people are having a better gaming life than us.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:03 AM
Banned

You could argue WoW is a clone of EQ. Powerslave, Heretic, Hexen are all clones of Doom. People looked to solve the issues with EQ, which was very popular for its day. They found the improvements in WoW, which removed some of the things you listed. It became even more popular and broke all of EQ's records, ended the MMORPG genre and still sits on top.

So the clone added more QoL and thus gained far more subscribers, which takes me back to my earlier question of why a million subs matter. We can see what it took to gain that. WoW was created because EQ was a success. The EQ clone WoW got more market share because it "improved" the game with better QoL, which are things you listed as why you hate them. But you also mentioned earlier that if EQ had done this first then games would be like EQ. You do realize that the things like corpse runs etc would have been removed to do that right? and the clones of EQ would be based off of that and not the original hardcore experience that wasn't hardcore at the time.. it was just the way games were and only later when things like WoW released was it considered hardcore because you could now compare it.

Edit: If anything, not having WoW ever be created could have resulted in less people coming over to computers. If you wish to take this route I can agree with you as there wouldn't be people asking for these things in their MMORPG game design. But remember WOW was created with improving the EQ experience and would probably happen again. Even here on the boards you have people unhappy with some aspects of Green, like the UI. So someone might've created a game with a better UI etc.. it would probably go down the same road. "EQ is amazing, nothing else like it.. but it needs to be improved."

I would take a ToddFX graphics upgrade but that is about it. Sound is not really an option these days. I also wouldn't look for it to have 10 million subscribers. Just another passion project done.. because. Gamers these days don't want what EQ offers because the games have changed, so much that something like EQ is seen as "Hardcore". I am joking but some of them ask for a Games Journalist mode, because they don't want to play it. Then we get into a Life Philosophy argument about what is fun and what are games.
Last edited by Mblake81; 11-01-2019 at 09:21 AM..
Old 11-01-2019, 09:40 AM
Kobold

WoW won because of marketing dollars and name recognition. EQ doesn't even come into the picture because only a tiny fraction of players even came from or knew about EQ. It peaked at like 250k subs.

Most QOL things were in EQ by the time WoW was released, the guild lobby was released like 3 months after WoW. The high end EQ base was tired of unfinished releases..WoW was released in an era designed for lvl 70s with solos speed rape and group dungeons required for progression that needed war, cler, chanter, chanter with 2k hitting charm pets to carry people through.

Casuals were tired of it because PoP locked them out of most content and GoD did the same
Old 11-01-2019, 10:19 AM
Banned

^ I didn't play past Luclin, only briefly came back during LDoN, so I didn't take any of that into consideration. Ignore my earlier comment, I was mainly wanting to argue with him for forumquesting.

Anyway, It makes me frown when a game that had 250K subs is considered tiny on computer. The internet wasn't cool yet, social media hadn't hit yet, and computer capable of gaming was niche at best. On top of that how many of them would be interested in a game like EQ.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:19 AM
Planar Protector

What killed live for me was it got to the point where you needed raid gear to have a chance at being able to tank entry tier content to a new expansion.

I don't know what caused this, but something was very sick in the beta testing for new expacs. Missions were dropping no trade gear that was significantly worse than what you had to have equipped to even avoid being 1 rounded.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:17 PM
Sarnak

I think EQ was approaching 500k in it's peak. I can't prove it now, the old site that used to track MMO population ("MMO charts" or something) seems to be gone.

Also, according to the site below, WoW is not as dominating as it once was:
https://mmo-population.com
Old 11-01-2019, 01:26 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voland [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think EQ was approaching 500k in it's peak. I can't prove it now, the old site that used to track MMO population ("MMO charts" or something) seems to be gone.

Also, according to the site below, WoW is not as dominating as it once was:
https://mmo-population.com
That site shows Pantheon (barely in Alpha stage still?) showing 20k players. Something's amiss.