Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-22-2016, 05:36 AM
Kobold

Default Discord Overlay

Anyone found a way to get the overlay to work with p99 era eq?
http://discord.gg
Old 08-22-2016, 08:48 PM
Orc

No, but I was just trying...
Old 12-13-2018, 10:00 PM
Aviak

Bump. Anyone been able to get this to work?
Old 12-14-2018, 05:58 PM
Aviak

Hmmm, I was under the impression that the old EQ Titanium client just simply did not work but I happened to install Discord on my work PC yesterday and noticed today that it does detect EQ.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But doesn't on my PC at home, though. Adding more mystery and frustration to the equation...

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-20-2020, 05:42 PM
Orc

I found a homebrew overlay project released a couple months ago called Discord-Overlay. It shows up as a "game" in Discord settings, so it can host the overlay. Then you position its window, similar to a GINA overlay, anywhere on your desktop.

It works great with P99 in windowed mode. I gave it a quick try with fullscreen, but EQ did a familiar device_reset crash, so I gave up.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:35 PM
Decaying Skeleton

As the developer of the Discord Overlay that bivouac posted, I can shed a little light onto what is likely happening. The way Discord does its overlay is it watches your graphics card and waits for anything that creates what's called a Graphics Device Context (GDC). This is what DirectX and OpenGL use, and it is what all of your graphics runs through. Kind of like a switch board for the graphics card.

When Discord finds one, it then highjacks the device and the process (app) that made it, and begins intercepting keyboard/mouse inputs and begins drawing to the program's GDC to have its stuff show up. The problem is most likely due to the fact this game is quite old and uses a very old version of DirectX or OpenGL for its graphics. This means Discord may not have support for those versions and is failing to highjack the GDC for the game.

Unfortunately if a game is fullscreen, you cannot show any other windows on top. This is why my program works for the game in windowed mode, but not in fullscreen. If you can survive with windowed mode, then I really hope you enjoy the Discord Overlay program I made. I originally made it for myself while playing D&D games in online virtual table tops (Roll20 and the like) but it's really cool to know it might help people out when playing other kinds of games [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I have a new version out (v2.0) that gives you some Quality of Life configuration options.
P.S. Sorry for the long reply :P
Old 11-30-2020, 02:36 AM
Sarnak

try http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html
Old 11-30-2020, 09:45 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaix1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can we ban this guy. All he is doing is posting virus filled links.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:00 AM
Planar Protector

It's not a "virus filled link". It's a false positive. I, and many others, use dgvoodoo2 so EQ works with our modern graphics cards under Win10.

-Mcoy
Old 12-19-2020, 12:38 PM
Fire Giant

Anyone get this figured out yet?