Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 08:11 PM
Kobold

Then I guess it's a change for Rogean and Nilbog to approve. Is this still the right place for it since this is the official location for feedback and bugs about the UI, or should it go in Green Bugs?
Old 10-15-2019, 08:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushidobull [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh, so now you are namecalling Don't make me go off on you as well, I have no problem calling you out for your hypocrisy aswell.
Please stop
Songs are being sung from every bard,
His passion is back and the fire burns,
With fear and renown, Norrath whispers: Uthgaard
Old 10-15-2019, 08:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P1999 Staff direction has been to make things accurate to the Velious UI without reducing player usability. I would classify a change such as this exactly as that.

See attached image for Velious era merchant window. It is not just a simple texture swap.
Again, I'm just one person, and (obviously) not staff. But I just want to make sure you understood what I meant, because you said "It is not just a simple texture swap" and that makes me think that you didn't.

My concern has nothing to do with texture swapping, or any other visual issue. Whether players can see prices is not a graphics or UI issue (well, I mean it is, but more importantly) it's a gameplay issue. It seems from this thread that said gameplay issue is 100% fixable: we can make it work like it did in 1999 (ie. we can make players not see prices).

Now if you hide the prices, then a "how pretty can we make it?" question comes up. But whether gameplay-affecting features are or aren't present is almost completely unrelated to how pretty they do or don't look. In other words, I get that we want a UI that looks classic, but whether it can/should do unclassic things is a separate concern.

I understand that you got direct staff guidance, but honestly it really shocks me to think that Rogean or Nilbog would prefer players have an unclassic ability to do something in Green that they never could on live in 1999 (ie. see prices) just because the alternative wouldn't "look pretty". That really seems to go against the entire point of Green.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-15-2019 at 08:37 PM..
Old 10-15-2019, 09:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashenden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Then I guess it's a change for Rogean and Nilbog to approve. Is this still the right place for it since this is the official location for feedback and bugs about the UI, or should it go in Green Bugs?
Hey! Super excited to get the merchant textures, we have a technical blocker, we'll get it it eventually I swear! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But time is the only thing that is preventing any additions getting added.

As for green bugs, just talk about em here, we are taking notes of everything. Know this: If it was posted ITT, it's on the task list already or its getting added to one, and we are going to fix it! But we just have to wait until all the peices align in the wheel of time [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Edit: Keep in mind if the answer seems simple, it may not be simple, after testing you might find out that you borked half of the players windows.

We're following a pretty secure pipeline here so that we dont end up borking your game for 3 days before anyone has time to get a new build onto your computer. So that means even a small change goes through a few peoples hands, and it takes time.

(If it were up to me I'd be hot fixing everything every 20 minuets in this thread but you'd all be like THIS GAME IS UNPLAYABLE and Id be like who cares look how classic it looks right now!) lol
Last edited by Jibartik; 10-15-2019 at 09:48 PM..
Old 10-15-2019, 09:54 PM
Skeleton

As far as not seeing prices in the merchant windows during classic era, we also couldn't see the quantity of any item they had in stock back then.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:15 PM
Decaying Skeleton

The Socials tab (afk, feedback, anon etc..) is kind of hard to see. White text and a light grey background
Old 10-15-2019, 10:15 PM
Planar Protector

Oh man now you got me pausing my movie...

God dammit now I'm posting things to test channel.

...opening up Photoshop...

discord: "so I can default it from BLA BLA"

YOU GUYS ARE GONNA KILL ME!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

FINE we'll get you something for merchants in the next build lol <3 I hate you guys (that is sarcasm but seriously LET US SLEEP lol)
Old 10-15-2019, 10:17 PM
Kobold

Yeah it sucks how limited the UI files are. I've played with them some over the years. I'm glad people are trying at all.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:22 PM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Wenai

I don’t want something janky and thrown together. So likelihood of it happening is low. Could it happen? Maybe. Currently focusing on improvements from feedback.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:24 PM
Planar Protector

Here's what we'll try for the minim viable, just reduce the starting size to be roughly more classic and then remove everything but names. Oh I might increase image size if that is super easy. (also cross fingers this makes it so you cant level up when you reach full exp so we know how dangerous adding things in this short to launch is lol)

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Then, after looking at this I might marbleize it if I have time this weekend and it if rogean is still accepting fresh builds from us (we are trying to not so they can make sure everything is secure for launch!)

Edit wait it wont look like that because of reasons, but.. see its always something lol Anyway, we'll figure out how to get you something that makes this game more difficult and looks like that, that's the bottom line haha
Last edited by Jibartik; 10-15-2019 at 10:30 PM..
Closed Thread