Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekephee
I see a lot of warriors with a lot of great dps gear doing a shit job holding aggro. I guess you're never going to outdps the people in your group whose job is "do dps" so, I dunno, seems like kind of a weird thing to try to stack up. Seems like the real aggro comes from proc items, which have nothing to do with your haste.
Kaev is totally correct here. Something like 2/3 of a warrior's threat comes from swings; more haste = more swings. Procs just get the credit because they have a tendency to vault the warrior 'over the top' as it were. Also warriors can do 80-90% of a monk's dps when well geared, so that isn't trivial either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekephee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Aggro isn't really an issue for a paladin. Not having the ac/hp to take a mob is.
I mean what belt would you wear that has such awesome tanking stats? BiS for stats is an RBG, which has 27% haste. I mean if a paladin is wearing banded in his other slots to save up for an FBSS he's probably doing it wrong, but really paladin gear advice is the same as every other melee class: grind it out to 46, join a guild, get a fuckton of planar armor including a 41% haste belt from Sky.
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Old 04-29-2014, 02:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamalam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but doesn't more attacks = more procs? Seems like haste would affect it in that regard, unless there is something like a set number of procs per minute regardless of number of attacks?
It's not a dumb question but it is a misconception.

You proc x rate per minute based on Dex and base proc mod% for the wep (which should now be properly set to 0 during this era) regardless of the number of swings.

Used to be a pretty OP strat to have a Barbarian Spiritist Hammer, slow yourself and melee every 10 seconds or whatever between jbb casts or med ticks. You effectively proc'd 50% of the time.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 04-29-2014, 03:24 PM
Aviak

Ah, I had no idea! Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumyums Inmahtumtums [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not a dumb question but it is a misconception.

You proc x rate per minute based on Dex and base proc mod% for the wep (which should now be properly set to 0 during this era) regardless of the number of swings.

Used to be a pretty OP strat to have a Barbarian Spiritist Hammer, slow yourself and melee every 10 seconds or whatever between jbb casts or med ticks. You effectively proc'd 50% of the time.
I used to do some fairly broken ranger dps with flint dagger and spamming nukes. So the procs per minute thing... Is there an explanation somewhere of how it currently works?

Can I still run the procs per minute timer by nuking between attackers? Or even switching a non-procing weapon in and out? I imagined there was a forumla that increased the chance of a proc every second until one occurred then it reset.
Last edited by lecompte; 04-29-2014 at 04:05 PM..
Old 04-29-2014, 04:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheaume [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
SoulFire or Mithril 2 hander at level 20?
Without another haste item it's not even close, m2h over soulfire at pretty much any level. With a budget haste item like the FBSS it's still not close, m2h > soulfire. But with an FBSS I'd go Baton of Faith over m2h.

Soulfire is pretty weak as a weapon for most of the EQ timeline, basicly from the day Kunark releases (see http://wiki.project1999.com/Axe_of_the_Iron_Back). As Paladin 2handers go at this point in the timeline it's an exceptionally shitty weapon.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecompte [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I used to do some fairly broken ranger dps with flint dagger and spamming nukes. So the procs per minute thing... Is there an explanation somewhere of how it currently works?

Can I still run the procs per minute timer by nuking between attackers? Or even switching a non-procing weapon in and out? I imagined there was a forumla that increased the chance of a proc every second until one occurred then it reset.
Assuming proc frequency mechanics work same as live (seemed to when I was active here)...

As long as you're not delaying your swings with your spell casts they won't affect the chance of a proc [edit]in any given minute[/edit]. Weapon proc chance is per minute, and is adjusted only by DEX so far as I know (since they've removed proc mods from the weapons that had them.) The proc chance per swing is calculated by the game engine based on your current adjusted attack delay. That's how Shakerpaging and the BSH trick YumYums mentioned above works. Your proc chance per swing will be 100% if your adjusted weapon delay causes your swings/minute to be <= to your proc rate per minute (i.e. if you are slowed.)

AFAIK there is no accumulation or reset in the mechanic, proc chance remains constant so long as your DEX and adjusted swing delay remain constant. The fact that your last swing proc'd, or didn't, has no effect on the chance of your next swing proc'ing.
Last edited by kaev; 04-29-2014 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: removed some of the stupid
Old 04-29-2014, 05:36 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumyums Inmahtumtums [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not this.

If you have a limitless supply of cash then sure. If you're stretching a 15k budget and 11k is fbss then definitely not worth it.
You are arguing against a point that i didnt make. Im simply saying that there is no need to wait on an "uber" haste item as states by the person i quoted, as a sub par haste item can simply be resold.

Also, fbss are not 11k.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

Didn't get my first haste item on my paladin till the mid 50s, you'll live
Old 05-20-2014, 02:36 PM
Fire Giant

Heya

Like many have said haste is not needed as a paladin, until Possibly later 50 plus. At that point you will be raiding with a guild and will acquire you haste item their.

I level a paladin on live and eq mac and both paladin's didn't get a haste item till post 50.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Closed Thread