Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 12:55 AM
Skeleton

Default Deepwater

So once I hit 45, deepwater > anything else? Is the AC jump really as good as stats?

Right now I have Bracer, Helm, Arms - is it worth investing in gauntlets/boots? (I can't afford BP or legs)
Old 05-22-2014, 01:35 AM
Fire Giant

The Greaves are excellent and the BP isn't bad.

The rest of the gear is just used for clickies as far as I know.
You'll probably want to wear items with stats like sta or str and just equip the DW helm when you're healing inbetween combat.

I'm currently gearing up my pally and that's my plan atleast. But I'm no paladin expert.
My plan is to wear a full set of the Dwarven cultural and keep the DW items bagged for the clicks.
The only item I would use in combat would probably be the bracers.

The AC is nice but the importance of AC is somewhat lessened and broken on this server.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:07 AM
Aviak

To me Deepwater > anything else even if u are low level, why would u have to wait to be 45 to wear this armor ? (except for clickies).
Old 05-22-2014, 05:40 AM
Skeleton

well as username17 says above the AC has been talked about as lessened or broken on the server - just wondering if stats > AC

edit; i suppose its quite minimal tho
Old 05-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by twgmot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
well as username17 says above the AC has been talked about as lessened or broken on the server - just wondering if stats > AC

edit; i suppose its quite minimal tho
You won't see many paladins wearing Deepwater aside from the BP and legs. AC is great and all (though sort of broken) but the stat gains from gear are preferred.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durothil Skyreaver [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You won't see many paladins wearing Deepwater aside from the BP and legs. AC is great and all (though sort of broken) but the stat gains from gear are preferred.
Why would you wear Deepwater BP? Zero HP (also zero STA) and zero resists on a tank class BP? What utter bullshit. The DW BP is promqueen gear, not tanking gear. Maybe if AC was a LOT more effective it would be worth considering, but as the server is now it's just something to wear on an EC tunnel mannequin or sell to a player who doesn't know better.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Planar Protector

DW BP has one of the highest clicky free heals in the game

yea it costs a jasper but 9 gold for 300 hp heal is worth it

just carry a bag around full of em ... also the BP adds alot of mana which palys need to tank

no mana no aggro
Old 05-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Fire Giant

AC is so broken it is worthless after you get past the cap (which is pretty much not being naked)
Mackaroni <Seal Team> - Human Monk
Old 05-23-2014, 01:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erati [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DW BP has one of the highest clicky free heals in the game

yea it costs a jasper but 9 gold for 300 hp heal is worth it

just carry a bag around full of em ... also the BP adds alot of mana which palys need to tank

no mana no aggro
Depth of manapool means next to nothing for sustaining agro at 45+. If you can't manage your mana usage vs. mana regen (for whatever reason) another little bit of depth to your pool isn't gonna help, you'll spend just as much of your time sitting to med regardless.

Symbol of Pinzarn on a 10second interruptable cast is nigh useless in combat or in any situation that includes a L54+ Cleric. I suppose, if you're super bored you could chain click it to inefficiently PL a newb melee twink.

A Paladin's group/raid role is tank/off-tank. The DW BP contributes much less to success in that role than less expensive and far more accessible alternatives. As a Paladin I'd happily exchange any number of Deepwater BPs for a single Cobalt BP that I could make available to a raid MT.

Go to Fear, get a Valorium Chestplate, spend your pp on something useful like an RBG or a Book of Scale.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Depth of manapool means next to nothing for sustaining agro at 45+. If you can't manage your mana usage vs. mana regen (for whatever reason) another little bit of depth to your pool isn't gonna help, you'll spend just as much of your time sitting to med regardless.

Symbol of Pinzarn on a 10second interruptable cast is nigh useless in combat or in any situation that includes a L54+ Cleric. I suppose, if you're super bored you could chain click it to inefficiently PL a newb melee twink.

A Paladin's group/raid role is tank/off-tank. The DW BP contributes much less to success in that role than less expensive and far more accessible alternatives. As a Paladin I'd happily exchange any number of Deepwater BPs for a single Cobalt BP that I could make available to a raid MT.

Go to Fear, get a Valorium Chestplate, spend your pp on something useful like an RBG or a Book of Scale.

fair enough, I wouldnt spend more than 30-40K on the BP, anything else is overcharging for the reasons you stated

I have enjoyed owning one myself but would never purchase it, Val BP is better for tanking if ur getting CH'd and you want something with RM if you are raiding a dragon

the Deepwater is best used in solo/duo/trio situations where mana is going to be consumed at faster rates with bigger downtimes

raid situation, you will have clarity and never run out of mana

TLDR: If you are looking to spend 30-50K on a paladin upgrade...dont buy the DW BP and instead go for a plethora of upgrades like Hiero Cloak + something nice like a Fingerbone hoop or Enshrouded veil type stuff
Closed Thread