Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krilla [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In my experience, nobody is going to stress over whether you're a warrior, SK or pally in the 1-50 game. The catch is, warriors have trouble generating enough aggro to tank effectively. If you go warrior, it's your responsibility to have weapons that proc, for aggro purposes. Otherwise your whole group is gonna have a bad time.

That's all I know.

As Krilla says, you'll be needing proc weapons. There are different ones that proc at different levels. You could dual wield the Smoldering Brand and Iksar Berserker Club (800pp for both) and get some procs til level 25 or so, then you can get Obsidian Shards, which do a DD/AC Debuff. Then when you hit 36 you DW Yaks and can actually be a good tank.

Or get a haste item and hold aggro with weapons like lammies. That works too for a while.

Don't be discouraged if you aren't holding aggro over epic rogues.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by krilla [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In my experience, nobody is going to stress over whether you're a warrior, SK or pally in the 1-50 game. The catch is, warriors have trouble generating enough aggro to tank effectively. If you go warrior, it's your responsibility to have weapons that proc, for aggro purposes. Otherwise your whole group is gonna have a bad time.

That's all I know.
I don't find the aggro problem is much of a problem in a group if the group works well as a team.

edit:
Some weapons you can acquire whilst XPing: Polished Granite Tomahawk, Highpass (the rune-type effect is moderate aggro and pads your tanking. I used this in offhand during my teens). Attainable early teens.
Iksar Berserker's Club is attainable mid/late teens, Kurns tower (more of a dps weapon, really but worth picking up anyway. The +str/ac/dex buff is nice but doesn't really add much aggro).
Obsidian Shards can be picked up early 20s, Soldunga (Procs a small direct damage and some -AC on the enemy. I found the IBC was roughly the same aggro as these just because it has such a better ratio).
Once you are 36 you can 'help out' on a rogue epic kill in Kithicor for an Scimitar of Ykesha. Procs the hallowed 0.0sec stun + DD which is excellent aggro. Thinking about it you can probably pull the same stunt in steamfont on the Renux kill to get a Trochilic's Skean (though you may need to pay for loot rights on this one).
At 40ish you can hit up City of Mist and wait for a Kunzar Ku'juch to drop (snare/dot is decent aggro, but be careful when using this in a group that is relying on mez. Also remember it won't work on rooted mobs./edit

This said, if you have money and are willing to spend it the first thing you want to invest in is the best weapons you can afford

Many classes that can generate a lot of hate also have ways of controlling their hate generation. If the warrior is really struggling simply rooting the mob (so it attacks the closest player - the warrior) is pretty effective. If someone is really twinked out not co-operating... there is a good chance they are twinked out with a fungi and can tank better than you anyway.

I've not had a problem finding groups on my warrior, and often receive tells from strangers asking me to come tank for them even if I'm not LFG.
Last edited by Jimjam; 05-30-2014 at 02:33 AM..
Old 05-30-2014, 07:55 AM
Fire Giant

What above poster said about LFG. If you are a good tank, people will seek you out.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:01 AM
Large Bat

Awesome, well thanks for the information guys, you have belayed my fears and I'll continue to enjoy playing my warrior. Infact, I spent a bit of time last night playing ;-)

Thanks!
Closed Thread