Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 08:12 PM
Fire Giant

Is the issue with illusion items the fact that they change faction modifiers for classes that shouldn't have that ability? Would it be possible to create a custom effect that gives the illusion but doesn't alter faction?
Old 09-25-2015, 08:27 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is the issue with illusion items the fact that they change faction modifiers for classes that shouldn't have that ability? Would it be possible to create a custom effect that gives the illusion but doesn't alter faction?
Basically here's what happened:

1. All was well and everyone was in agreement that they were pretty good rewards. About 10 were handed out over a year.
2. I wanted to add werewolf to the list of options, but I didn't want to use Illusion: Werewolf because of the major stat buff.
3. I created an item called the silver bullet, and repurposed a spell called lycanthropy, making it an item with a self-only illusion werewolf clone that didn't affect stats.
4. After I left, someone changed that spell into a kunark mob ability, and the player with that item exploited it as a spammable threat generator.
5. All illusion items were rounded up and replaced with guises (except in the one case where it wasn't noticed that the player already had a guise).

If the werewolf item had been reported rather than exploited, the rest of them probably would still be out there.

My objective here is to find a reasonable alternative to the iksar egg. But since the server opinion seems to be undivided in favor of restoring illusion items as event rewards, I'm not opposed to trying to convince nilbog to re-allow them.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:02 PM
Sarnak

Stone of gnoming ftw
Ssepticbank - Trader <Azure Guard>
Old 09-25-2015, 09:51 PM
Fire Giant

Thanks for the background Uthgaard.

Personally I don't see an issue with them having enchanter illusion effects, faction adjustment and all. I can understand why some would, though.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:52 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

1. All was well and everyone was in agreement that they were pretty good rewards. About 10 were handed out over a year.
2. I wanted to add werewolf to the list of options, but I didn't want to use Illusion: Werewolf because of the major stat buff.
3. I created an item called the silver bullet, and repurposed a spell called lycanthropy, making it an item with a self-only illusion werewolf clone that didn't affect stats.
4. After I left, someone changed that spell into a kunark mob ability, and the player with that item exploited it as a spammable threat generator.
5. All illusion items were rounded up and replaced with guises (except in the one case where it wasn't noticed that the player already had a guise).

If the werewolf item had been reported rather than exploited, the rest of them probably would still be out there.

My objective here is to find a reasonable alternative to the iksar egg. But since the server opinion seems to be undivided in favor of restoring illusion items as event rewards, I'm not opposed to trying to convince nilbog to re-allow them.

jeeeesus, really sucks to be all the people who lost oogly sticks etc. because of people exploiting this

Every song I play is actually just me screaming the 1812 Overture in a raspy, shrieking falsetto.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Don't get me wrong, I love and endorse the idea of allowing illusion items as rewards, but to prevent any possible exploitation in the future, wouldn't custom titles be a fitting reward? It allows the player to be unique, and I'm sure many people would participate in events for a chance to win a title. Just my 2 cents
Old 09-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Kobold

I don't think de masks or oogly sticks are reason to worry about exploitation.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:16 PM
Kobold

Illusion items like the guise are super rare and considered 'high prestige' by many. Having them as rewards for GM events/holiday occasions or what have you is perfect. Lots of people weren't here when the server launched, missing out on some of the old 'broken' items like the guise, rubicite (rubi removal never made sense to me other than helping make CT a ghost town), manastone, etc.

I spent most of my afternoon trying to get items for the Velious launch event, assuming that a guise or some type of illusion item was in the prize pool.

Since I'm at it, here's a request - Illusion Iksar needs +1 HP regen. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-27-2015, 06:37 PM
Planar Protector

She ought to have a clicky that can summon gnome shaped cookies...OR she ought to have a nome illusion mask given to one of her non-nome chars (I'm not sure that she even plays non nomes...but she would LOVE that!). OR a unique title award to Ninik. Ninik the Gnome <Divinity> would look real cool.

Ninik is one of the best and nicest people I have ever met in EQ...it says a lot about p99 that so many people here know about how awesome she is.

It isn't every game, or even every EQ server, that someone can reach server fame status for just being an awesome awesome person.
Last edited by fastboy21; 09-27-2015 at 06:40 PM..
Old 09-28-2015, 07:45 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
I'm also putting a rider in the bill to restore thread tags.
Uthgaard/Secrets 2016
Closed Thread