Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:14 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
-- Necro DoTs don't stack (in the sense that 2 necro can't put the same dot on a mob)
Once Velious is released (one day), I suspect necro will come in higher demand (mobs will have shitload more hp and DoTs will stack) where chanty will meet their doom with most raid mobs being magic immune

Nagash/Petitpas/Jinbao/Chilper
Can anyone confirm Velious being the expansion where DoT stacking was added? I was under the impression it was in Luclin.

Edit:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/hist...es-2002-2.html Found it. It was added in Luclin.

Quote:
July 24, 2002
Quote:
** Spell Stacking Changes **

We've made two changes to the way spells stack.

Damage Over Time (DoT) spells are spells that linger on the target
doing damage. Until today two different characters could not have the
same DoT spell on the same target. As long as one copy of the spell was
active any new version of the spell would not take hold. After today
the same DoT spell cast by different casters can affect the same target
at the same time. Also, if you cast a DoT spell on a target and you
already have that spell active on it, the spell will refresh. (Note: It
will not be possible to stack Lifeburn).
Last edited by Breeziyo; 07-18-2013 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: debunked
Old 08-24-2013, 02:13 AM
Aviak

Some info for you from my limited knowledge & experience playing these 2 classes.

Necro: To just solo exp/level necromancers are easier. They also have their own line of mana regen at the cost of health. If going necro these days you have an advantage in the lich line of spells with the iksar regen to counter loss of health from lich spells.

Enchanters: they might not be the best exp soloer compared to a necro, but they will be able to conquer farming content that a necromancer could not. An a necro can do a lot of farming.

I think of it this way, the enchanter is the king of dungeon farming, and the necro is king of outdoors.

As to population there is a command you can type in that I hear shows the number of the class online despite anon.

/who all necromancer count
/who all enchanter count

At 2am EST I did a /who all necromancer 40 60 count and got 22 necs. The enchanter was 26.

My opinion: equip both with your cash and play them both to 60.

11-22-99 to 11-03-04
Torvonillous
Old 08-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by billw134 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some info for you from my limited knowledge & experience playing these 2 classes.

Necro: To just solo exp/level necromancers are easier. They also have their own line of mana regen at the cost of health. If going necro these days you have an advantage in the lich line of spells with the iksar regen to counter loss of health from lich spells.

Enchanters: they might not be the best exp soloer compared to a necro, but they will be able to conquer farming content that a necromancer could not. An a necro can do a lot of farming.

I think of it this way, the enchanter is the king of dungeon farming, and the necro is king of outdoors.

As to population there is a command you can type in that I hear shows the number of the class online despite anon.

/who all necromancer count
/who all enchanter count

At 2am EST I did a /who all necromancer 40 60 count and got 22 necs. The enchanter was 26.

My opinion: equip both with your cash and play them both to 60.
Eh, enchanters are more powerful, but they also die more often and can't summon their own corpse nor rez themselves.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Planar Protector

Necros are better soloers. Way more efficient, self-reliant, you'll always be pulling monsters and killing them. Feign Death is fantastic for when you screw up. The only time an Enchanter will rival you is when you hit 60 and you have difficulty killing things that are immune to fear (it's capped at level 55 because Sony hated Necros).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeziyo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can anyone confirm Velious being the expansion where DoT stacking was added? I was under the impression it was in Luclin.

Edit:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/hist...es-2002-2.html Found it. It was added in Luclin.
Damn I thought it was late Velious they added dot stacking. Historically, Necros were pretty terrible for raids and only looked at as being mana batteries, there were a ton of urban legends that dot damage would poof raid corpses and that necro dots would push slow out of the available debuff slots on a monster.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Aviak

I've played both from 1 to 60. Both can solo very easily and have great tools for when things go bad (Necro: harmshield/FD. Ench: mez/mem blur.) Both can kill pretty much non stop because it is very easy to med while charm/fear killing. Surprisingly I can kill things without actually taking a break to med longer on my enchanter than on my necro. If you hunt at the right spots at the right levels, charm lasts very long (even before level 39 charm) and I kill 2 mobs casting 2x tash, 1x charm, 1x root, 1x taper enchantment (my choice to break charm) and 2x low level nuke to finish the mobs. Usually I med to FM when it's time to break charm and finish both mobs.

If you choose enchanter, don't get too crazy about stacking CHA. I used to play with CHA over 200 then decided to experiment and I get the same results with ~140 CHA, the only difference being now I have 200+ INT and thus more mana to kill things.

Bottom line - Ench will have an easier time finding a group and you will get asked for Clarity a lot regardless if you are anon. Necro won't get bothered for much unless someone wants DMF or a corpse summon and those are requested far far less than Clarity. Both are easily in the top 3 most self sufficient classes, especially when you get your JBoots. And in my opinion it is more fun to solo on a necro than on an ench.
Mistersmilez - P99 Monk <Forceful Entry>
Vermouth - R99 Druid
Old 08-28-2013, 04:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necros are better soloers. Way more efficient, self-reliant, you'll always be pulling monsters and killing them. Feign Death is fantastic for when you screw up. The only time an Enchanter will rival you is when you hit 60 and you have difficulty killing things that are immune to fear (it's capped at level 55 because Sony hated Necros).
charm killing > fear kiting for both necros and enchanters
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Old 08-28-2013, 08:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splorf22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How do enchanters fear kite without snare/darkness? Some
item out there I'm missing?
Old 09-04-2013, 04:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splorf22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Given the lack of MR debuff and available undead mobs in most zones, this is a woefully dubious statement at best.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Aviak

Did you see that reddit post where the guy had 300~ gnoll fangs and levelled 11 to 22? Think you can farm 300 fangs in like...4-8 hours.

Food for thought on starting a new toon.

Anyway, Enchanter all the way because of ease of travel.

You said you've only gone to lvl 30 and that's where it gets easy. I'm on red99 and I just sat at the misty thicket guard wall and solo'd to 40. There are 2 single spawn guards with no aggro wanderers that drop 11pp per kill every 6 minutes....uhhh score! necros can kill here too.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

I did gnoll fangs to 24, but I thought it got nerfed since then.

There's better exp spots, but I wanted a spot where I could not pay attention and not die since I was more focused on other servers back then.