Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 12:46 AM
Skeleton

Default Miracle in the Mist

It took me many days to get over the events that took place in the nested city of High Keep. To this day, I have nightmares, and flashbacks. How was I changed? What is my true path? It was obvious HE supported me in my efforts to learn greater magic. But, HE left. I heard that the Erudite with FIRE, moved to battle darker forces in a well-known area of Dagnor's Cauldron. This adventurer understood some battles must be waged alone. So, HE stays.

As for me, I recovered enough to pursue greater powers. As a young magic user, I had already been to the "lizard" man's lands. My experience was enlightening, and I felt I was always missing something as I left to pursue the mountain hold of High Keep. The voices were calling, and it wasn't from one man, but from villages, and cities that were again at war fighting for the survival of truth. With fortune on my side, i prepared my tools and set off for an adventure. Not in the mountains of Norrath, but the jungles of Kunark.

With some effort and support from magic men capable of sending me through the ether, I made it to a place in the Jungle of Emeralds. A city, but a city in ruins appeared in front of me. Although not horrifying, I felt a cold chill come over me as I got closer. It wasn't goblins or orcs that I would learn to overcome, but worse: the undead. Was I prepared?

I would try to take the skills I learned from HIM, and make my stand. The City of Mist, as they referred to it, was dramatic. Far from being alone, I was surrounded by treasure seekers and righteous fighters who were bound together within the walls of this obscure city. Unsure how to begin,but knowing it was time to start, I waited at the entrance. I called deep within this undead paradise, looking for kindred spirits. My expectations were already set to stay some time without finding my way through, when I got the word I was looking for. My invitation came from a well-known area, where in the past the most treasured stallions of the previous inhabitants were kept. Although many years or decades had passed, you could almost hear the neighing of the foals, and the stench of the bedding. I didn't have time to admire the once glorious compound, because I was immediately faced with hordes of spirits and many powerful reanimated servants. Countless foes were dismissed with my mighty companion and my circle of , what I refer to now as, friends. Unfortunately, the battles forced losses on both sides. We suffered many. Bless those adventurers who faced this city with determination, because our circle was rejuvenated with fresh magic.

It was some time before I met a very special adventurer. The oaths I have taken as part of my training, keep me from exposing them. As sure as I am at this table writing this journal, I can tell you SHE was the master of the evil arts. Like one with the City of Mist, SHE too summoned undead servants. HER cackle, as she let forth her power, was unnerving but also hypnotizing. I recall she was from a band of masters who were quite different than most. They were bearers of children who chose professions outside their often dark dwellings. Quite remarkable and worthy of all the praise I could muster. She turned to me many times, and without uttering a word commanded my respect and friendship. So many foes we dispatched together. We were ONE.

I felt the same way about HER, as I did about the Erudite. The moments we had bantering about TROLLS within the city will never be forgotten. But alas, things change. The mighty warrior who kept us in high spirits and provided us so many experiences departed. For another cause? Possibly. It was this change, that brought HER and me close to a power I had never witnessed. His name was Wen E'Tal, and he was a thought manipulator and a shape shifter. Although he could read minds, he was above such mortal fantasies. He kept himself busy clearing our minds and expanding our thoughts. Soft breezes followed him wherever he went. HER and I underestimated his powers and found ourselves mocking and teasing his abilities. Blame it on the forces within the city that corrupted minds and ideas. I was leader of the circle after one of our members had passed, and I took the chance to transform this band of magic users into the finest fighting force in the Emerald Jungle. Maybe even Kunark itself.

I expected loyalty and commanded respect. Wen E'Tal, as he was known, was going to be my project. Without a hesitation, I sent him to disrupt the undead and bring them running to our line. "Get out there, and make us proud", I yelled while looking at HER for recognition of the superiority we felt. Anger and pure evil followed him as he ran to us. Pieces of his majestic robe fluttered in the air. The redness of his robe made those pieces resemble tears of blood falling. He stood valiantly while he took what seemed like dozens and dozens of these evil spirits to their final destination, wherever that might be. The feeling of invulnerability forced me to send him deeper and deeper into the city. It was on one such lunge, he was lost. But, they learned. They learned what we were doing, and they surprised us with a quick and devastating volley of powerful spells. I could only watch as we were overwhelmed, surrounded. I just remember losing my senses and waking up in a place far far away. I was bound to a friendly spot I remember well from my time at near Tower of Kurn's.

It was at this point, I have trouble really believing what I went through. In fact, what we all went through. I do remember watching Wen jump, run, and diving to bring us our opportunities, but that is the last of the moments of total clarity. Being scared and alone in that barren area was distressing, but when almost all hope was gone, I felt a breeze near my ear. It was Wen. The same one who I mocked. He was reaching out from his own passing to relay a message: I was not alone. Wen told me to relax and free myself from worries. He would be the one to bring me back from beyond. With a "shhhhh" and a *cough*, he left us all. He was not gone forever, however. Not in the least. Wen transformed. His powers were beyond words. He held the power of resurrection. Something I had heard about, but never witnessed. It wasn't Wen anymore though, but instead a higher form. He was known as Ba'Kari. Understand I was still stunned and in awe so parts remain cloudy, but he spoke to me. Ba'KAri, as much as I can remember it, whispered to me and prepared me for this journey.

I accepted the transition,and I found myself back in the city. Although dazed, confused, and extremely weak, I was thankful. What had we done? Who were we? I was horrified by the evil effect the city had on me and HER in our control of our circle. I was also thankful for the enlightenment. With my strength and spirits brought back, and having the warm embrace of my friends, I looked to HER and smiled. It was at that moment, we nodded and finally understood what we found. A real god was within our presence all along. Much more intellectual and understanding than we were.

Even though we found treasure and cleansed evil, we discovered something even more profound. We happened across a miracle in the Mist. And without much fan fare, this god, this being, left us. But he left us better than we were before. Bless us all.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:50 AM
Planar Protector

Did you live in the San Francisco area circa 2001? I am vaguely certain that I recall reading this on leaflet wheatpasted to a bathroom wall in the Haight-ashbury.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:33 AM
Skeleton

Default Thank You

I certainly respect your question, but I'm not familiar with any similar event or journal. Bless you.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:24 PM
Skeleton

Thank you for visiting my thread. Hope you enjoyed.
Closed Thread