Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-18-2019, 06:13 PM
Aviak

Default Game freezes and goes not responding on one character

I noticed this a day or two ago, my lvl 19 druid mainly a mule. After porting to the EC rings and heading out the game froze and was not responding. Only thing I could do was hard reset my PC, noticed this 2 times.
Now today going through the east / west commons this has been happening every 10-20 secs, and now when I try to log in with this one character the game is immediately frozen not responding when I log in.

I have my necro parked right at the tunnel entrance, I was able to log on them just fine and stand there for 5 mins with no issue, I then tried my Druid again and the game was immediately frozen and not responding.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:34 AM
Aviak

This may have to do with your logfiles. If the logfile for that character has become too big, it causes problems ingame.
Go into your EQ folder under Logs, find the log.txt with your druids name and rename or delete it.

There are 2 programs often used on p99 that archive logs automatically, usually at 100mb size.
The programs i know of are GINA triggers and GamParse (DamageMeter).
Old 06-19-2019, 08:51 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortnit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This may have to do with your logfiles. If the logfile for that character has become too big, it causes problems ingame.
Go into your EQ folder under Logs, find the log.txt with your druids name and rename or delete it.

There are 2 programs often used on p99 that archive logs automatically, usually at 100mb size.
The programs i know of are GINA triggers and GamParse (DamageMeter).
I thought of Gina when this was happening, my druids log file is only 6megs. However I'm still going to delete it and see if that helps.

To add I did log into the game on my sons laptop with no issues, and moved out of the commons zones. As these are the only two zones I had issues with, maybe 30 mins later on my desktop I ported back to the EC druid rings and ran to freeport with no issue.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:58 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveslug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought of Gina when this was happening, my druids log file is only 6megs. However I'm still going to delete it and see if that helps.

To add I did log into the game on my sons laptop with no issues, and moved out of the commons zones. As these are the only two zones I had issues with, maybe 30 mins later on my desktop I ported back to the EC druid rings and ran to freeport with no issue.
To clarify I used my sons laptop yesterday when I was having this issue, I deleted my log files today.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:22 PM
Planar Protector

It can also be a chat window that's in an invalid position for the resolution you were playing at on your son's laptop. Once it tries to write a line to that chat window your UI will crash. Whenever I copy my install between systems I delete (or rename) eqclient.ini so everything reverts to default positioning, and then I manually fix them to suit the resolution on the other system.

-Mcoy
Old 06-20-2019, 06:25 AM
Fire Giant

Did you resize a chat window very small? this will also cause the client to hang when text is sent to it.

Drumas - 60 Cleric
Ashintar - 60 Wizard
Old 06-20-2019, 12:08 PM
Large Rat

Been having the exact same issue. Bought a new laptop and this just started happening pretty frequently. Same situation, sometimes every 10-20 seconds. Are you still seeing issues after deleting the log file?
Old 06-20-2019, 06:58 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veign [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Been having the exact same issue. Bought a new laptop and this just started happening pretty frequently. Same situation, sometimes every 10-20 seconds. Are you still seeing issues after deleting the log file?
I have been back twice with no issue. Granted this is a mule character moving gear to alts, so I don't go through there a lot.

I did a few things.

a) Went default UI
b) Deleted log file
c) Closed any minimized windows ( I had a channel for just /auctions ), I will point out my other characters have the same thing and never had a problem.
d) I turned off Logging, I now set it manually when I log on a character.

I will update this post if I ever see the issue happen again.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:52 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveslug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have been back twice with no issue. Granted this is a mule character moving gear to alts, so I don't go through there a lot.

I did a few things.

a) Went default UI
b) Deleted log file
c) Closed any minimized windows ( I had a channel for just /auctions ), I will point out my other characters have the same thing and never had a problem.
d) I turned off Logging, I now set it manually when I log on a character.

I will update this post if I ever see the issue happen again.
still on the laptop? I have never had an issue with my desktop but bought a new laptop and cannot figure out what is going on. Updated drivers for everything, one of which was the wifi adapter but i just disconnected again. It seems to come and go, can play for an hour or two without issue then itll happen 2-3 times within a couple minutes.

Ive updated drivers, changed the launch to eqgame with patchme at the end, reinstalled 3 times.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:49 PM
Large Rat

Been happening to me after resizing my "miss" window very small.

Never would have thought that was a problem, but will change it and see if it stops.