Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 08:27 AM
Skeleton

Default Knight agro wpns thread

So decreased spell hate sucks. Keeping flash of light memmed for emergencies but wont it do shit to keep mobs off dps. Stuns are unreliable if a mob isn't slowed and interrupts you once or twice, and honestly i dont have the mana to stun a mob 3-4 times a fight to keep agro all night.

So what weapons (under 10k) would you suggest that'll allow me to tank again? I'm a paladin but I'm guessing sk's are having similar issues.
Last edited by bernardsalmon; 02-14-2019 at 08:35 AM..
Old 02-14-2019, 09:24 AM
Planar Protector

I wouldn't spend money just yet. Flash of Light, Disease Cloud, Shadow Vortex, Flame Lick etc. had very good aggro in Classic for the classes that could innately cast those spells... unfortunately all I have is anecdotal evidence. My guild on Xegony had a SK as a main tank in Velious for HoT or anything that didn't explicitly require warrior disciplines to tank. No one ever yanked the mob off him. I know for a fact I could yank a mob off any caster that drew aggro with one Flame Lick (or a Snare or two if there was a chance whatever i was going to offtank or kite would be mezzed.)

i think something went wrong with the way the patch was implemented.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 02-14-2019, 09:58 AM
Planar Protector

Spell threat was only supposed to be reduced for spells not in your book, i.e. warriors and monks using clickies. So it should be fixed at some point.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Spell threat was only supposed to be reduced for spells not in your book, i.e. warriors and monks using clickies. So it should be fixed at some point.
This. It’s going to have to be fixed.

But for now for Paladin sword of the morning has a 50dd 5 second stun. The down side is relatively low white damage threat. As a warrior main I can would you encourage you to not overestimate proc mechanics for the purposes of threat. It is inherently unreliable especially if you’re used to on demand aggro as pretty much most knights are.

I use natures Defender. Before the patch procs were some bonus threat and dps I didn’t pay much attention to. Now, as I have to cast more and ration mana I watch them much more closely. An early proc can save me an extra 20-60 mana per fight in avoided casts. That may not seem like much but without clarity I can only meditate 20 a tick. It makes a big difference in a fast pulling group.

This issue since the patch will need a full revamp. Warrior weapon procs are going to have to come back up. There’s no excuse for end game warrior threat weapons to be as terrible as they are now.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 02-14-2019, 10:42 AM
Planar Protector

Honestly, I have only tanked puppets since the patch, and two dc + shroud of death is enough to take agro off the slower, and it seems quite similar to what I was experiencing before the patch... The nerf to not seems that huge to me, if any...
Old 02-14-2019, 10:48 AM
Aviak

I'm a bit confused by this whole thing. Obviously flash of light shouldn't have been nerfed (hope it gets fixed soon), but shouldn't proc aggro from Sword of the Morning, Nature's Defender and Fiery Defender be a lot lower now regardless? None of those procs are in a paladin spell book.

Blue Server
Aegnor Eldruin - 60 High Elf Wizard <Dial a Port>
Vizeryn_D'Raethe - 60 Erudite Paladin
Formerly of <Azure Guard>
Old 02-14-2019, 11:04 AM
Planar Protector

Agreed with the above posts. But if you can't wait and have plat to spare, it might be worth purchasing a deepwater bracer (assuming you are of or close to the required level). Spamming it while backed against a wall could be done to hold aggro reliably before the patch and it should still be enough to get the job done. Of course timing its 6sec cast just right, on incoming targets, is exceedingly difficult in dungeons with poor line of sight so dps will still have to wait for the assist call.

Otherwise, might as well defer to other group members and let them adjust their playstyles for the time being, not just the stab-happy rogues but classes with deep mana pools who can cast root for proximity aggro--priests and robe wearers who are able to meditate while the mob is in camp preventing you from doing the same. Being such a common, low-level spell, root can save healer mana and everyone the frustration if it's cast straight away on the incoming target rather than as a CC reaction afterwards when aggro bounces.

A cheap alternative/addition to this strategy would be to buy a Treant Staff. The ratio is poor, but obviously no one is going to be shocked that a knight is lacking in damage output.
Last edited by Ennewi; 02-14-2019 at 11:12 AM..
Old 02-14-2019, 01:17 PM
Planar Protector

Sitting in a corner doing less DPS than knights already do and spamming DW bracer sounds like the worst thing ever. I remember having to be a lot more patient on live having to wait until tank built aggro. People just need to slow down and not be so stab-happy as you put it.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly, I have only tanked puppets since the patch, and two dc + shroud of death is enough to take agro off the slower, and it seems quite similar to what I was experiencing before the patch... The nerf to not seems that huge to me, if any...
Well enchanters are reporting significantly less aggro on tash so this spell aggro reduction may likely be across the board. I have not had any problems with proportional aggro compared to slows/debuffs/mez_breaks. I don’t find your report odd at all — remember, Willsapper which has a proc slow went from being very strong to quite weak. I think all spell based aggro is just gimped.

Holding aggro off melee is the rub. A single flash used to be enough to lock down early fight but it no longer is. Yesterday we had a monk offtanking another mob and after first mob was dead I failed a few taunts while spamming flash of light and it took 8-9 flashes to steal aggro. This monk wasn’t using any stunn proc weapons. I can not recall any other time ever (even with an off tank being on the mob significantly longer) where 2-3 casts would fail to snap aggro.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 02-14-2019, 03:37 PM
Planar Protector

Hum, good point... All spells might be impacted... Being the only melee beside pets it do not prove much...
Closed Thread