Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 06:48 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Returning player looking for caster duo recommendations

Hi all, I’m in the process of getting back to the game for the first time since... Planes of Power I think (shoutout to anyone from Ayonae Ro!).

However, I always used to play with a large group of friends, and because of this I would have a lot of freedom in terms of class choices. This time however I’ll primarily be playing with my wife, who is pretty specific about what she wants to play.

Here are the limitations I’m trying to work with:
She primarily wants to play as either a Cleric or a Druid, but could do a Wizard, Enchanter or Mage if it gives us many more options for what we could do.

I also want to play as a caster, preferably Necromancer or Enchanter (with an added option of Bard because they always looked fun).

We have pretty limited time to play, probably max 2 hours at a time in the evenings, so we would need to be able to get something done in an effective manner in that time.

I also want to be able to show her some of the dungeons I’ve always loved (like LGuk, Howling Stones, Seb, Crystal Caverns, and others) so being able to either duo them (which seems crazy to an old rogue player), or get groups easily would be great.

I have a hard time imagining life without either teleports or SoW, but can see the argument for trying to cope... because if I go with my current idea of Necro and Druid, I fear we would have a pretty bad time of it once we made it past the point where druids can heal reliably in groups, and her interest would fade.

Would appreciate all suggestions, preferably with a note about cool things they would let us do.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:09 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Ok, so my wife created a Halfling Cleric. Don't know if it's permanent or not, but I'm taking the time to teach her the basics of how the game works.

One thing that is driving the both of us crazy right now is that we can't bring up the stats of items. Is this a toggle we've pressed by mistake, or a button we need to hold to show them when hovering over an item?
Old 07-13-2018, 08:50 PM
Kobold

Default did you turn it off and turn it on? not a joke apparently...

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ight=mouseover
Old 07-13-2018, 08:52 PM
Planar Protector

I second Dino's suggestion of chanter/cleric, though the early levels will be a little rough. If you do want to group, they are both desired classes.

Hold down right click over the icon to look at items. (or maybe thats for making the inspect box stay up? It's just muscle memory now when I play, so I don't have to think about how to do it)
Last edited by Tethler; 07-13-2018 at 08:54 PM..
Old 07-15-2018, 05:50 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Huh, I guess that really does fix more things than you can imagine. Thanks! (though we’d have rebooted before playing next time anyway, I guess [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])

So we’re rolling with our Enchanter and Cleric for now, and it’s amazing how much fun this game can be, even on low levels. I even had some kind of fun trying to make it from Erudin to Rivervale (before dying in Runnyeye [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]).

Well, I finally made it and we’re currently in Misty Thicket. Now I’m starting to think about where we should go in a couple of levels (or even right now, because this forest is not my favorite starting area). I’ve pretty much always leveled in outdoor zones on Antonica in the past until level 25/30ish and want to try something else this time around. Out of Crushbone, Befallen, and Blackburrow, which do you guys recommend for this duo as a first foray inside?

I’ve never spent any time on Faydwer really, but it looks like it has a pretty decent progression from Crushbone to Unrest to Mistmoore. Are those zones much fun, and how is the crowdedness usually?
Old 07-15-2018, 09:38 AM
Sarnak

crushbone and unrest are both quite small zones, mistimoore isn't that large either, and they're the most popular leveling zones on the entire server. If you play at peek times you won't be able to duo without stepping on toes. If you play off-peek times though those will be the only places you'll get a chance to make friends.

They're popular zones for a reason, mostly because they're "outdoor" dungeons with dungeon ZEM and access to spirit of the wolf/wolfform/harmony as well as their outdoor theme making it a little more spacious and open and easy to see a long distance, rather then just a deadly series of narrow corridors like many "dungeons" are in classic everquest.

cleric/enchanter duo's often look to avoid crowds so they can cherry pick their own spots. places like splitpaw or sola/b.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:18 PM
Aviak

Steamfont Kobolds until lvl 6 is where it's at.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:08 PM
Sarnak

ENC/CLR is probably the most broken, OP duo in the game

Monk/SHM is up there too, but monks aren't casters
Old 07-15-2018, 10:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargryllz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ENC/CLR is probably the most broken, OP duo in the game
Protip if going this route. At 51 plus, be in the state of /duel...and allow the enchanter to "Theft of Thought" the cleric if there's no caster mobs to drain mana from.

(you're welcome)
Old 07-15-2018, 10:43 PM
Planar Protector

You can try the warrens
Closed Thread