Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-22-2019, 01:13 AM
Large Rat

Default Stupid question - maybe ?

Hello,

This is probably a stupid question - but using your mouse sofware for keypress is bannable ?

Because i think i just learned the hard way if it is...
Old 05-22-2019, 01:15 AM
Planar Protector

Did it automate anything? If so then yes.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
5. You may not use third-party programs on Project 1999.

The use of any third-party programs on Project 1999, including but not limited to, Macroquest/Macroquest2(MQ/MQ2), ShowEQ(SEQ), or any other program that interacts with the Everquest Titanium Client, is strictly prohibited. Use of any third-party programs will be detected and will result in the permanent banning of your account(s). No exceptions will be made, and once a ban has been enacted for violation of this rule it will not be reversed.

This is not limited to programmable keyboards or other input devices that creates multiple inputs for a single keystroke or automated task.

Wineq2 by Lavishsoft is the exception to this rule. In addition, any program that strictly reads log files is acceptable.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:35 AM
Large Rat

I have nerve damage in one of my arms.

Quote:
This is not limited to programmable keyboards or other input devices that creates multiple inputs for a single keystroke or automated task.
I read that to mean that they are OK.

But one key to launch an ingame macro.

Anyway, i really enjoyed my time on p99 - it really took me back to my university days! The community is excellent, and have had great fun getting to know some of you a little bit!
Last edited by iddqd; 05-22-2019 at 01:38 AM..
Old 05-22-2019, 04:54 AM
Sarnak

If you just got banned, petition for more information. As long as you were not boxing or trading real-world currency for plat at the same time, you might be on a week's suspension rather than losing your account. They might also be able to explain what you did wrong and how to avoid it in future.

If you do need to automate certain tasks, you would be amazed what the (completely legitimate) macro system can do for you. The game is filled with mechanics which are either harder (bards twisting) or nigh-impossible (rogues evading) to do effectively without macros.

There is also nothing wrong with mapping a few mouse-buttons to each activate a single macro in-game, so you might find you do not even have to relearn your control-system.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:00 AM
Large Rat

If you are banned, how do you petition ingame ?
Old 05-22-2019, 06:08 AM
Sarnak

https://www.project1999.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=25 is the petition forum; it's all hidden from public view. I think in-game petitions are only really for urgent in-game stuff like getting stuck or name changes.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:20 AM
Large Bat

I'm a bit concerned about this on two counts:
1) I play on a Linux machine using Wine. I hope that's not detected as 3rd party program.
2) Awhile back I got a Roccat Nyth Mouse with 12 "programmable" keys. I haven't done anything with them yet (because, lazy), but I was planning on setting the 12 keys on the side of it to motion and spellcasting. The idea was to make playing my bard less painful.
Unfortunately, EQ doesn't let me set one character to be controlled by mouse/WASD and all the others to be controlled by the cursor keys, and I never really adapted to the mouse / WASD control method.

So would setting the 12 buttons to my number and cursor keys, for spellcasting and movement, count as "macros"?
As I could set up a single-key macro sequence of something like, "/cast 1, /pause, 10, /stopsong, /cast 2" etc in the game itself, could I assign one of the keys to this such an in-game macro?

I'm not going to do a thing until I know for sure it won't get me banned. My bard can wait.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm a bit concerned about this on two counts:
1) I play on a Linux machine using Wine. I hope that's not detected as 3rd party program.
No, WINE is not a problem. Lots of us (myself included) play on Linux via WINE, and many more use WINE-related software to run on Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2) Awhile back I got a Roccat Nyth Mouse with 12 "programmable" keys. I haven't done anything with them yet (because, lazy), but I was planning on setting the 12 keys on the side of it to motion and spellcasting. The idea was to make playing my bard less painful.
Unfortunately, EQ doesn't let me set one character to be controlled by mouse/WASD and all the others to be controlled by the cursor keys, and I never really adapted to the mouse / WASD control method.

So would setting the 12 buttons to my number and cursor keys, for spellcasting and movement, count as "macros"?
As I could set up a single-key macro sequence of something like, "/cast 1, /pause, 10, /stopsong, /cast 2" etc in the game itself, could I assign one of the keys to this such an in-game macro?

I'm not going to do a thing until I know for sure it won't get me banned. My bard can wait.
I'm no GM, but the heart of the rule is simple: don't use stuff outside the game to let you do things other players can't do without such outside stuff.

So for instance, binding individual keys to individual mouse buttons is allowed; you're just pressing something different, but fundamentally you're doing the same thing as everyone else (one button press, whether on your mouse or keyboard = one action).

However, the moment you map more than one in-game action to a single button press (eg. if you make clicking your 4th mouse button trigger a "TAB press followed by a 0.5 pause followed by an "ALT + 1" keypress) you're cheating (because regular players can't do that).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:39 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
As long as each mouse-press is the equivalent of a normal mouse-press for anyone else, I think it's all good. The in-game macros are completely legitimate, your mouse-buttons are just equivalent to single key-presses, so what could go wrong?