Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 07:27 PM
Kobold

I'm level 30 now, so stuck with my enchanter. My highest lvel character on p99, and my "main".

I have 220 CHA and 126 INT with a Jesters Crown (I was able to sell a Shiny Brass Idol, an easy camp, for enough to buy all the CHA gear I needed. So even without the jesters at 30 I'd have 190 CHA and 156 INT.

And I went 20 int 5 CHA.

It's not hard to get to the 200 cap. In fact, I'll probably take the crown off soon to get my int back. The hours put in are hard to get back.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:28 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Damn... y'all are pretty balanced on each side here, ha ha. No help at all! (jk)

Additional info:

I'm likely never going to make it to 60 -- so if that's a key factor, it's an easy decision! I work a ton, am starting a side-business with a friend, spend all the time I can with my life partner, lead an active social life, and am about to start working toward a second master's degree. EQ was a formative part of my teen years, picking it up as a 14 year-old in '99 with a handful of RL friends, two of whom I am now playing with again, cracking each other up on Discord while we adventure in all the places we never did back then, sloppy young noobs that we were. I was an Enchanter then, too.

I like the character I rolled almost a decade ago: an insidiously charming, ambiguously malevolent trickster known only as "Lies". He's also done a lot of faction grinding for his level (non-KoS most places even in DE form, and I believe I'm ally with ogres even in Dwarf form), and playing again for the first time in well over 5 years he's starting to grow on me again.

I very luckily found a pre-nerf CoS in my Iksar Necro alt's bank -- he's only level 9 and couldn't even use the proc yet -- so I sold it and grabbed a Gob Ring, and am now working on getting decked out in CHA gear with the remaining 25k. Considering JBoots but my friends are a DWF PLD & HLF DRU, so I reckon I can probably get buy with a few bottles of SoW potion.

Even if I rerolled with 20 pts in CHA as a DE, Gnome or Erudite, I'd still be as far away from min-maxing compared to if I'd rolled a High Elf, right? And I will skin myself alive and roll in salt before I ever play one of those smug twats.

EQ's Enchanter is the most fun I've ever had with any class in any MMO (made it to 56 or so back in live when PoP dropped and destroyed the game). There's just something about influencing and commanding the random factors in battle, in the terrifying and unpredictable environments of Norrath, and using quick decision-making to shut down crises and maximize opportunities, that is really exhilarating and fulfilling. There's just nothing else like it.
Last edited by Treehorn; 04-17-2019 at 03:50 AM..
Old 04-17-2019, 08:06 AM
Kobold

Hey Lies! I play Florimel. I was camping the GG ring since I can't afford to buy one (heh).

I'm never raiding or min-maxing either. Don't reroll - as mentioned, there is so much gear available at such reasonable prices you can stack STA, or CHA, or whatever you want. Especially if you are just playing for the journey.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:38 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its not "more related to MR and level check"

Its literally 1% save chance on charmbreak/tick per 10 cha up to 200, and then its 1% per 11 cha up to 255.

With all things MR and Lvl-delta being equal among chanters, the difference between a 150cha (15% save check) chanter and a 255cha (25% save check) chanter means the former will fail to save on a charmbreak 40% more often than a max cha chanter succeeds at saving against a charm break.

Out in oractical terms, suppose the base chance of charmbreak is 5% with zero cha on a tashed mob 1 level below u (avg once/2minute for charmbreak)

A 25% save chance would extend your average charm duration from 120sec to 120s/.75 = 160s or 26.67ticks given the spekl itself has the duration capability to last that long.

Likewise a 15% save chance extends your 120s duration 120s/.85 =142s =23.5ticks

This has direct relevance to the mana/sec spent maintaining the charm, and everyone know mana/sec is really the only thing that matters in a long grind/crawl.
Interesting. I would be interested in the source of this information. Was it posted at some point by devs? Not doubting you, but there has been some debate about how much CHA affects charm duration. Also, what about MR and mob level? What is the formula for how those play into charm duration?
Old 04-17-2019, 12:18 PM
Planar Protector

Pretty sure someone tested this. Search the forum threads(I’m at work or I would). Was basically concluded that cha is an important factor. But level and mr are still more important.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:42 PM
Kobold

I wouldn't reroll, you sound like a casual player, you won't be losing sleep about not being able to replace your CHA gear with better HP gear in the end game. Enjoy your dark elf enchanter =). Now if you had put your points into like strength and wisdom or something. I would say re-roll. 25int 5cha on a dark elf certainly isn't min/max but it's a fine way to spend your points for a casual enchanter in this era. Plenty of good CHA gear to be had.
Last edited by Dillusional; 04-17-2019 at 12:46 PM..
Old 04-18-2019, 06:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretty sure someone tested this. Search the forum threads(I’m at work or I would). Was basically concluded that cha is an important factor. But level and mr are still more important.
I'd question them as well. The soft cap should reduce effectiveness of a stat point way more than 10%.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deven1313 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Interesting. I would be interested in the source of this information. Was it posted at some point by devs? Not doubting you, but there has been some debate about how much CHA affects charm duration. Also, what about MR and mob level? What is the formula for how those play into charm duration?
Search the official forums. Mykaylla from ROI did most of the legwork, along with Dandin and was confirmed by dev on the hard-limits where heroic-cha essentially does absolutely nothing despite post-cap gains. There was some ambiguity about the translation of CHA gains with the level/aa cap-increases from PoP onward
Last edited by Thorondor; 04-18-2019 at 12:53 PM..
Old 04-19-2019, 03:51 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No you should not. You can fix any stat with gear, and max both with level 60 gear if you want.
this is not true - as a de i put everything into sta when i first started, at 60 even with full ss armor and neriad shawl and epic u wont max cha or int. of course, if u can get ntov gears its a diff story, but how many casual players can get there?

i do regret not putting everything into cha or int because sta is totally useless, but im still able to solo cash farm at ease, and i always wish i have more HP

if ur going to lose sleep cuz ur at 210 cha and not 255, then reroll, but there is no way u can measure the impact of that extra 45 cha. but i do understand why people is bothered from min/max perpsective
Old 04-23-2019, 07:40 AM
Planar Protector

As a DE that lack of charisma is gonna be painful. Unless you want to raid velious your choice of hp gear while balancing for 255 cha is limited. If you want to maintain max charisma you will need to drop hundreds of hp or mana. Course that's min/max and far in the future but you might regret it one day. Nothing wrong with having a clarity bot for buds.

Here's my chanters outfit try to find 20 charisma of upgrades while maintaining hp/mana [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Pons
Closed Thread