Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 01:00 AM
Large Rat

Default On Teal, need some help.

I am new to EQ. I don't really know what I am doing. Playing with a few friends that just started as well, but they are on different times. They dragged me out to Free Port? But I am a Dark Elf Wizard. Level 2 not sure what to do.

I think I need food and water, I don't know where to get it. Also need to sell stuff, but again I am lost.

Other words I don't know what I am doing.

in-game : Xault if you want to contact me. Not sure how to send a tell.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:08 AM
Orc

I highly suggest checking out this for some newbie tips

https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie

After that check out

https://www.almarsguides.com/eq/leveling/Classic/

That should give you a good idea of where to go.. google search p99 wiki for everything else (especially maps for vendors, zones, etc..).

A few tips I can give you are, eq is very unforgiving with mistakes, but with the right group or knowledge, can be very rewarding and a fun a community experience. There is no handholding and you’re kind of expected to figure it all out. As a wizard, you’re basically going to be root and nuking stuff to get by (so I’ve heard, never played one). Very social game so make friends and go blow up stuff in a dungeon is what I would suggest. Your health won’t regenerate withou food and mana without drinks.

Go put one point into sense heading and bind it to a movement key till you max it out.

P.s. dark elves are hated by “good races” and their guards will kill you on sight. Neriak is your starting city and close to Freeport so you can run back and buy/sell stuff while leveling with your friends near Freeport.

There’s a ton of info out there and it’s super difficult to be able to just tell you what to do since there’s so much! Wiki some stuff and play the game. It’s tough but worth it! Wishing you the best of luck!
Old 12-19-2019, 07:08 AM
Sarnak

My first suggestion to you would be to get back to Neriak. You will find Freeport unfriendly to you as a dark elf. It's possible the guards there will not attack you on sight, but you'd have a hard time finding merchants to trade with, making getting that food and water very difficult.

The suggestion above about Sense Heading can't be understated- Sense Heading skill attempts to tell you what direction you're facing. This can be used in tandem with the maps on the P99 Wiki to give you a realistic sense of where you are and what direction you're going. I'd get back to Nektulos Forest for hunting and look around Neriak for a merchant selling food and water.

You should also make an effort to locate the Wizard guild in Neriak, as you can find merchants there who will sell you your level 1 and level 4 spells. I wouldn't move out of the Neriak/Nektulos area until you are level 4 and have at least your best level 4 Direct Damage spell and the Gate spell, which returns you to your bind point.

EDIT: Ping Fuzzlecutter in the Freeport Newbie yard is one of the game's few "greedy merchants". He may trade with you, but will buy your items at significantly less than normal merchants and sell things to you at a significant markup. Avoid unloading things on him and the Shady Swashbuckler in EC as much as possible. A list of greedy merchants can be found at https://wiki.project1999.com/Classic_Merchant_Guide .
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Last edited by greenspectre; 12-19-2019 at 07:10 AM..
Old 12-19-2019, 10:27 AM
Kobold

While there's no map in game because it's not classic, there is a program that is legal to use on P99 that uses your logs to display your location on a map that you can have on another monitor or over top of your EQ window.

It's called ZlizEQMap and is pretty handy for navigating zones you're unfamiliar with.

To send a tell it's /tell name message

Also, don't be afraid to ask people in zone for help if you have any questions. Just type /ooc message
Old 12-19-2019, 02:16 PM
Sarnak

I'm not familiar with being an evil race or a wizard. Like has been said, you're going to have a hard time around "good" cities and races like Freeport (FP). FP has a tunnel system where evil characters hang out and you could use that (I think it can also get you to the boat if you need to take that to Faydwer continent - no fast travel in this game, the boat travel time is like 30 minutes round trip, but Druids and Wizards can port people around instantly but they usually expect money for this service), but it's probably best you stick to Neriak much more so than Freeport. I imagine wizard is a harder class to play in this game, but I don't have much experience with them so check out class guides.

If you've played newer MMORPGs you need to know that EverQuest is very oldschool, does not hold your hand at all, and can be quite masochistic at times. It can also be nice, unique experience though (at the same time, it can also be super frustrating at times).

- You send tells by pressing enter in a chat box and typing "/tell {name} {message}" - without the quotes

- You can make multiple chat boxes and filter what type of messages go where (right click a chat box for options). Typing "/chatfontsize {1-6}" in the box will change text size for you.

- Find your wizard trainer in Neriak, right click him and train up at least 1 point in the skill "Sense Heading" (also put at least 1 in swimming and some in whatever weapon type you're using). Then make a button for Sense Heading and/or bind this to a movement key so you keep spamming it and eventually your character will get better at it over time and it'll tell you which direction you're going. Pair this with maps on the wiki (https://wiki.project1999.com/)

- As a caster, getting your spells when they become available are high priority. Vendors selling these will be around your trainer usually. Look at a guide to know which for wizard are priority spells. Spells in this game are expensive.

- You regen faster when sitting. Starting at level 4 to regenerate your mana faster not only do you need to be sitting, but you need to keep your spellbook open AND press the meditate button. As a newbie caster you're probably going to be supplementing your spell DPS with melee. You rely less and less on melee DPS as you get higher in level, though.

- Learn the "con" system (short for consider - https://wiki.project1999.com/Game_Me...ngs_with_Level), target a mob and press C (I believe this is default button). Color will tell you difficulty. For your first 5 levels or so you'll probably just be soloing in Neriak forest and you generally want to stick to killing blues and whites. At later levels you could try to move out and find groups or other places to solo. Trying to solo reds will almost surely get you killed.

- You'll want to learn about the /loc system as well. First number is North/South coordinate and second number is West/East (third is Z axis, not as important usually). Make a button for this like sense heading, but this doesn't need to be trained it just always works and can be spammed. You want to press this if you know you're about to die so you can use it to locate your corpse.

- There is a faction system which alters how mobs will treat you in the game (you can see your current faction standing to something by conning the mob; https://wiki.project1999.com/Faction): if it says "glowers at you threateningly" or "scowls at you ready to attack" - it will attack you if you get into range it so be careful. When selling to a merchant, you want to sell to someone who is "indifferent" to you or better.

- My character is Tianya. You can "/friend tianya" then type "/who all friend" to see if I'm online then /tell tianya {msg} and I can see if I can help you out some in game maybe. Typing /who in a zone will tell you who else is there. You could try asking some higher level chars if they have like a fine steel staff or something you can have as that'll help your damage when you're meleeing still during low levels.
Last edited by TripSin; 12-19-2019 at 02:23 PM..
Old 12-19-2019, 04:16 PM
Large Rat

Thanks for the reply's. I am level 4 now, found someone to help me get back to the Dark Elf area.

I've had a little trouble with finding the right info on wiki, because sometimes I think I look up mixed info. Some of it seems like it's for EQ at a later period or patch. But I've putting the puzzle together slowly.

I picked wizard because I like to play a damage role in most rpgs. Also well from what I've been reading, they can make some decent currency while be able to teleport around freely. I went Dark Elf because I was told in this version night is super dark, did little reading that Dark Elf can see a night. Didn't really want to get anymore lost then I am.

Is that location spell at the Wizard trainer as well?

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:40 PM
Kobold

Dark elf is a difficult race in general. Most towns and vendors and npcs hate you. Neriak is hard to navigate. If you want a challenge, fine. But you might consider an easier race and starting city to get your feet wet in EQ. For example, a human from Freeport or Qeynos or a halfling from Rivervale.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:49 PM
Sarnak

The p99 wiki is your best friend bud.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:34 PM
Sarnak

Don't forget that as a dark elf you have the racial ability to Hide which will make you invisible until you move. Since you don't have a pet to worry about you should hide everytime you sit. Most green things that scowl at you won't attack you unless they see you sitting down, hiding first will keep them from wandering by and whacking you while you med.

Zipps - 51 HLF Druid <Castle>
Lykosor - 49 DE Necro <Castle>
Aspom - 12 HEF Ranger <Castle>
Slyng - 31 HEF Bard <Castle>
Flecrad - 21 DE Enchanter <Castle>
Lykos - 43 HIE Mage <Castle>
Ribkage - 17 GNM Boneknight <Castle>
Old 12-19-2019, 09:57 PM
Orc

I know you’re not here soliciting advice on your race/class selection, but unless you have really read up on wizards and are motivated to play one, I would not recommend you roll one as your first character. I say this as a level 39 dark elf wizard on Green. While we have our niche, it will be frustrating for a new player.

If you’re stuck on a caster class, roll Magician. As for race, I haven’t found being evil all that inconvenient (however, I am a porting class which makes if vastly easier). But if you’re playing with friends, roll a human starting in Freeport, or Gnome/High Elf and find someone to port and bind you.