Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splorf22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1. Reroll Warrior
I have an ogre warrior alt. When comparing raw tanking power / survivability against my DE SK, the difference class/race makes is depressing.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:28 PM
Sarnak

In classic, the difference was minimal in impact, if not in raw numbers. I tanked everything in classic at level 50, CT, Inny, Nag, Vox, even Spiroc Lord.

In kunark it makes more of a difference, but many things can still be done without defensive or evasive (not that you should in many cases, but you could) I do much more raid tanking on my warrior than sk these days.

In Velious, 99% of the time it's warriors only for raid tanking, but SKs can still do some fun things involving pulling, offtanking, add management, and CR.

In all time periods, SKs are better at soloing, and are fantastic as group tanks. It takes a lot of gear and patience to solo effectively as a warrior post 50 (fungi+ToD+good haste at a minimum).

No shame in being a SK, just know your limits... and by that, I mean, be creative to find out what can be done alone, in groups, and in raids. Good players of any class create many opportunities to contribute.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumesh Uhl'Belk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good players of any class create many opportunities to contribute.
This 1000x.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:53 PM
Fire Giant

if eq were left up to the min/maxers we'd only have war, enc, and cle as class choices - now that wouldn't be very fun now would it? :P
Old 02-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have an ogre warrior alt. When comparing raw tanking power / survivability against my DE SK, the difference class/race makes is depressing.
Does this translate to "I wish I would have rolled an Ogre SK" ? Or are you happy with your DE?

Old 02-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Banned

at the end of the day, all that really matters is how good you look in ec tunnel tho AMIRITE
Old 02-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Planar Protector

While I'm not a DE, I have a 60 Human SK and I'm entirely satisfied with it. While there are things a Warrior can tank that a SK cannot, I do not believe there is a single mob in the game that an Ogre SK can tank that a Human or DE or Erudite SK can't. The big races do have a stat advantage, but in the long run it's not a game breaker, and for my specific needs (sporadic and generally limited playtime) the lower experience requirement of the Human was a significant plus.

Warrior vs hybrid tanks is an argument as old as EQ. Make a Warrior if you want to main tank high-end bosses. Make the hybrid if you want to be a better tank against pretty much everything else. I figure the two sorts of tanks are suited to different kinds of players. For my part I can't stand playing Warriors.

Danth
Old 02-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexid [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Does this translate to "I wish I would have rolled an Ogre SK" ? Or are you happy with your DE?
I love my DE SK. Had I known then what I know now about race would I still have picked DE? Probably not.

Without spending any allocation points, starting STA:
Ogre 127
DE 70
DIFF 57

At level 60, 57 STA ~ 342hp (I think 1sta = almsot 6hp I can't quite remember). It is disgusting how much pp I have spent to gain just 20 extra hps in a slot. Combine that info with being able to cast FD while being attacked by 3+ mobs due to frontal stun immunity and one can start to make a compelling case for ogre. The downside would be that you would look like Myuharin. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
at the end of the day, all that really matters is how good you look in ec tunnel tho AMIRITE
Damn straight. Old school troll model in full Skyshrine, with custom velious helm, and Narandi's Lance/Primal 2hp/Epic, is just the most badass looking character in the game. Period. Swamp brothers represent!
Old 02-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaakglith12194 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Damn straight. Old school troll model in full Skyshrine, with custom velious helm, and Narandi's Lance/Primal 2hp/Epic, is just the most badass looking character in the game. Period. Swamp brothers represent!
I ended up rolling a Troll SK last night. Excited to start playing him.

Closed Thread