Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 02-14-2024, 07:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderpress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most people say channeling is OP here in my experience. Careful what you wish for! To me it seems pretty much how I remember it tbh.

Your gate collapsing when you cast gate does seem way more frequent than I remember though. I think it happened to me maybe four times total from 99-2001, and here it's about 1 per day.
That is because u should be using insta gate pots aka cloudy pots or lizard bloods
Old 02-14-2024, 10:16 AM
Planar Protector

they broke op
Old 02-14-2024, 09:08 PM
Fire Giant

I posted here well-knowing it was RnF, but I underestimated the absolute retardation of the RnF forums.

I wonder how many of you are Language Model bots who are in training
Old 02-15-2024, 12:55 AM
Banned

Can't wait until classic channeling and resists.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:47 AM
Planar Protector

In addition to the channeling check based on distance, isn't there like a 5% chance per melee hit landed against you, up to a certain cap, to interrupt your cast? Or was this removed as they refined the channeling implementation?
Old 02-15-2024, 11:32 AM
Planar Protector

Was the channeling implemented on Blue as well? I've been playing more on Blue than Green these past few months so maybe that's why I haven't noticed it as much.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:31 PM
Kobold

On Quarm your only hope of channeling is to have max defense. And there the skillups happen paradoxically to all RPG leveling systems in history, with the earliest levels being the hardest and slowest to raise, so if you forget to max your skills at low levels you'll never max them at high level and have permanently ruined your character.

Hopefully all those channeling and skillup formulas come to P99 because replicating universally terrible design choices from 20 years ago is what gets me out of bed in the morning.
Old 02-15-2024, 01:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoolrausch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On Quarm your only hope of channeling is to have max defense. And there the skillups happen paradoxically to all RPG leveling systems in history, with the earliest levels being the hardest and slowest to raise, so if you forget to max your skills at low levels you'll never max them at high level and have permanently ruined your character.

Hopefully all those channeling and skillup formulas come to P99 because replicating universally terrible design choices from 20 years ago is what gets me out of bed in the morning.
I don't think that was a terrible design choice from 20 years ago was it? I don't think that's how it worked on live?

Seems like a terrible thing Quarm implemented not something from classic
Old 02-15-2024, 01:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think that was a terrible design choice from 20 years ago was it? I don't think that's how it worked on live?

Seems like a terrible thing Quarm implemented not something from classic
Secrets did a lot of dumb shit with Quarm.

Typical.
Old 02-15-2024, 03:05 PM
Kobold

It actually makes a lot of sense and works that way on P99 and classic as well. You only achieve skill ups through successful displays of skill.

Sense heading is an easy example, it takes forever to level up the first few skill points because you rarely are successful in determining what direction you are facing. The skill ups happen quicker as you start being more successful and then reach a tipping point where the amount of success needed to progress becomes very high.

It mirrors the real world. If you try to learn a new skill that you have no basis in you don't know what you don't know at that point and therefore it takes more time and energy to advance in that skill. As you gain some basic understanding of the skill you can start to assess what you do and don't know and therefore better understand how to progress.

Its more like a bell curve:
No Skill - No understanding of progression, slow pace
Some Skill - Some understanding and ability to find gains, medium pace
Advanced Skill - High success rate, still room to improve, fast pace
Master Skill - Hard to identify and find incremental gains as you have mostly mastered all aspects, slow pace