Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Kobold

Default Charm Animal question

Is the Charm Animal line of spells useful at all for a Druid? I haven't done a serious amount of tooling around but it seems that no matter what I charm it breaks in less than 10 seconds. Even green mobs break charm.

I obviously don't expect it to work anywhere close to an enchanter, but does it work at all? I see that Druids get spells that are supposed to buff their pets, but I can't even keep something charmed long enough to finish casting the buff.

What am I missing?
Old 01-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun421 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What am I missing?
Charisma, maybe?
Old 01-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Planar Protector

you need 200+ charisma to charm effectively, that also applies on this server to druids and necroes
Old 01-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Kobold

They are correct. On this server cha seems to be the only thing that matters. I have purchased every piece of cha gear and can only get to 155ish. I cannot charm a light blue for more than single tick w/ 155 cha. Sucks that necros and druids have entire spell lines that are useless because of it, but I dont know if there is anything that can be done.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Fire Giant

That's a bug, plain and simple.

Charisma does (and should, and always did) have a slight impact on Charm, Mez, and "a resisted Lull's aggro chance". BUT, for Charm and Mez, CHA is not as big of an impact as the mob's relative level, or, the mob's MR.

-Greens should very often stick around for the max duration.

-Light blues should generally stick around for awhile (no guarantees though).

-Dark blues can stick around for awhile, especially if their MR has been lowered. High CHA helps quite a bit here too and can make all the difference over time.

-Yellows will seldom stick around for long (or will outright resist the cast) unless you drop their MR through the floor (high level resist debuffs), *and*, have a very high (175+?) CHA.

-Low reds will generally just resist unless you crush their MR first, and, have near-max CHA. It *is* possible even here to get a full duration charm, because it has been done...it's just very rare.

To summarize, Charm resist and per-tick break chance rely on the following factors, in order of priority...
1 - Mob's level relative to the caster (hugely important).
2 - Mob's MR (very important).
3 - Caster's CHA (somewhat important).

I can provide old (public) posts from the original devs if it would help - although no implementation details (or hard numbers) were provided of course.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Kobold

So is this a bug that the powers that be are aware of? And is this a bug that is potentially fixable? I'm not sure how high on the priority list this would be, just curious if it is fixable.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Planar Protector

From what I have heard you should have about 200 charisma to reliably charm on this server.

Haven't tried yet because I just haven't seen the need to charm anything while in exp groups and haven't bothered to purchase the appropriate gear.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malrubius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
CHA is not as big
*CObullshitUGH*
Old 01-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Kobold

As a druid I don't really have any desire to try to charm anything in a group (especially if CHA really makes such a difference on this server). It would just be fun and helpful for soloing, or dicking around farming low level loot.

And it's the principle of the thing! I don't like having spells that are useless [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun421 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And it's the principle of the thing! I don't like having spells that are useless [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Half of my class defining abilities are broken in one way or another...

Druid charm needs to wait in line [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread