Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 04:08 AM
Sarnak

with so many years before velious it makes sense. with free accounts it makes sense. p99 is even worse for alt-itis than live probably ever was? another thing.... different classes are very different to play... it's not a matter of other mmos where warriors and rogues have mana and nukes and are basically just themed mages :-p

I think a good mmo breads alt-itis because alts are DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES you want to have. not just pointless slogs of the same shit over again like in some mmos.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:14 AM
Planar Protector

I absolutley hate leveling in all mmo's but I still seem to have managed 4 characters 46+. Trying to finally focus and hit 60 on my monk lol.

I did sac my monk from 54 to 46 in order to help me focus on one toon. Worst decision ever, he is now almost 57 lol. Would be be 60 or pretty damn close if I never sacced him haha. Sloppay was in a bad place. I told him no!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My hangup with alts is I LOVE equipping them. It is a blast for me sitting in the tunnel finding this or that for them. And moving things I already have around to make the stats work.
This gets me as well, and I'm not sure why. Researching a new class on the wiki/forums, doing a min/max value analysis on the gear it will need, then doing the scanvenger hunt thing and questing/farming/buying until you have a decently equipped twink, etc... I find the whole process strangely engaging. I've done this for almost every class at this point. It's a sickness!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This gets me as well, and I'm not sure why. Researching a new class on the wiki/forums, doing a min/max value analysis on the gear it will need, then doing the scanvenger hunt thing and questing/farming/buying until you have a decently equipped twink, etc... I find the whole process strangely engaging. I've done this for almost every class at this point. It's a sickness!
This
Old 02-19-2014, 12:53 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by August [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a 60 enc, 50 sham, 40 sk, 35 mnk, and 11 nec.

I don't even log on my ENC anymore - what's the point, really?

I think the problem, which modern MMOs try to alleviate, is 'what do you do at level 60'.

If you are a non gear dependent class, you pretty much have no real reason to play at 60 on this server. Yes, you can raid, but for what - gear? What do you need gear for? To raid more?
EQ has always been about making your own challenge. If you have a 60 enchanter, practice soloing/duoing nameds in HS south, sebilis crypt, etc. If charm soloing isn't something you're familiar with you can start in lower guk. Take some inspiration from Loraen's solo artist challenge. There is a world of magic wonders and magical treasures out there waiting to be plucked by your magical fingers. Parking an enchanter at 60 is a shame.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:01 PM
Sarnak

This thread actually turned out something nice. Honestly questioning my recent EQ playtime. Especially the past month or so since the raid re-format. Batphone, poopsock, grinding the last few levels to 60... All for sock fights, trivial zerges, and most of the time, nothing. Highlight of the month was farming resist gear.

Taking a step back,
Fun > Pixels

Disclaimer: This was a personal reflection, and by no means Trolling the end game losers with absolutely no lives. There are plenty of other threads for that.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ has always been about making your own challenge. If you have a 60 enchanter, practice soloing/duoing nameds in HS south, sebilis crypt, etc. If charm soloing isn't something you're familiar with you can start in lower guk. Take some inspiration from Loraen's solo artist challenge. There is a world of magic wonders and magical treasures out there waiting to be plucked by your magical fingers. Parking an enchanter at 60 is a shame.
How do you think I made money to gear out my 3 alts?

That was my point. I made a 60 enc. I went and camped high value loots in HS / seb, sold them, bought myself a couple fungis, t-staffs, jbb, shaman epic mq, etc. etc. etc.

I just don't have a need for cash anymore.
Scientist - 37 ROG
Old 02-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Kobold

Quote: "I think the problem, which modern MMOs try to alleviate, is 'what do you do at level 60'."

Quote: "That was my point. I made a 60 enc. I went and camped high value loots in HS / seb, sold them, bought myself a couple fungis, t-staffs, jbb, shaman epic mq, etc. etc. etc."

So your point is there's nothing to do at 60, once you're done farming loot?

Farming loot is one of the things you can do at 60.

The implication when you said there's no point to logging in your 60 because there's nothing to do, is that you haven't done anything.

There are challenging things to do at 60..

If your goals are trivialized by having cash then it sounds like you beat the game.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:58 PM
Aviak

I spent my career on live (and I say career because I truly treated it like a job) at max level. I went from 1-60 in Velious era right before Luclin was launched and except for the few days after a new expansion I was never below max level. Raiding ever increasing targets is the point of being max level. Farming for me is something I do when I'm bored and want to fund alts.

It's easy right now to skip progression if you join a major raiding guild, that's why I like being in Knights of Ni because they're just starting fresh raiding the Hole and SOME planes. Eventually (hopefully I'll be raid worthy by then) we'll progress to Naggy/Vox, and then to CT Gods and then dragons of Kunark and so forth. You can't access that level of game play and progression without being max level. Eventually level 46 isn't going to cut it and you're going to be left behind.

There's no experience in any game I've every played that has come close to the feeling of exhilaration when your guild takes down a target for the first time after weeks or months of failing and then doing it again and again till you're ready to try to next target. That's why I like Pop so much, the progression was fantastic on raid targets.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote: "I think the problem, which modern MMOs try to alleviate, is 'what do you do at level 60'."

Quote: "That was my point. I made a 60 enc. I went and camped high value loots in HS / seb, sold them, bought myself a couple fungis, t-staffs, jbb, shaman epic mq, etc. etc. etc."

So your point is there's nothing to do at 60, once you're done farming loot?

Farming loot is one of the things you can do at 60.

The implication when you said there's no point to logging in your 60 because there's nothing to do, is that you haven't done anything.

There are challenging things to do at 60..

If your goals are trivialized by having cash then it sounds like you beat the game.
Obviously hit a sour note with you. I am very familiar with charm-soloing - I have been playing enchanter for over a decade now. I personally don't find the game very rewarding to play by myself. There are much harder, solo-player games out there than classic everquest.

I absolutely love leveling an enchanter. I love being in a group and saving us from a wipe. I love charming and providing more dps than the rogue.

Once I'm 60, there's no point to group like this, except to gain more cash from item drops. I can do it 'for fun', as well, but it ends up just being KC + Seb + HS always.

For me, my enjoyment comes from leveling in this game. Being OP as a monk or shaman, makes leveling more fun for me. Thus, I had a great time leveling my enchanter, got bored at 60, farmed several 100kpp, and made a bunch of alts to level on.

I'm sorry that you feel like I'm wasting my 60 enc. Honestly, if they hadn't banned account trading, I would have traded it away. I was in talks with someone right as they announced the ban, so it sits unused.
Scientist - 37 ROG
Closed Thread