Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Aviak

Default Soloing: An Essential Skill on P99?

Hi all, still pretty new around here but I've started to notice that a lot of talk in the forums focuses on people being able to solo or how to solo with just about every class. It got me wondering, do P99 Blue players prefer to play solo rather than group or is it an issue of population size or even just a lot of people wanting to explore and soloing is just easier to do that?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Kobold

More exp if you solo. There are groups everywhere. Some people already experienced the game 1 to 60 and want to rush alta to end game. You'll be fine if you can't solo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

More downtime if you solo too... unless you're a necro or a shaman that prefers to canni over a few mins afk.

Groups can be great, or they can be terrible... and that's classic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Soloing generally speaking, is faster leveling.

For me personally, it means I don't have to deal with other people's AFKs / Lag / or sometimes just general stupidity! ALSO it means I can AFK whenever I want to and don't have to worry about people getting annoyed.

There are times I enjoy grouping, just like there are times I prefer to solo or just duo/trio.

It isn't a necessary skill by any means, you just see a lot of talk about it because that's the nature of the average player here:

Started EQ in 1999-2001. Likely in middle school-college range (12-20ish)
Add 10 years. These people are now mid 20s-30s. Have some combination of full time job, bills, wife, kids, etc.

Due to this many people do not have a life that can facilitate an 8 hour grind group. But they still love EQ and wish to play, so they ask ideas for soloing that they may not have done 10 years ago when doing this grind groups was no problem after school or inbetween classes.

There are definitely grind groups here and you can go 4-60 in groups exclusively. But there are definitely plenty of soloers here.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Kobold

I think the main reason that a lot of people want to be able to solo, or at least have the ability to solo as an option, just comes down to where we all are now in our lives. Many of us don't have the time to dedicate to EQ that we did 10-15 years ago due to family, work, and various other reasons. Being able to solo allows people the flexibility to AFK if needed without bringing a group to a halt, or the ability to play short sessions and jump right in to doing stuff instead of going LFG for a while, then having to bail soon after finally getting a group.

P99:
Nubben, Level 16 Rogue
Old 02-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Banned

not essential on this server! But try leveling a rogue on red without items ... Lol
Old 02-19-2014, 11:43 AM
Aviak

Thanks for the responses! I'm one of those people who started EQ at Kunark release in 8th grade, now I have a wife and kid (got my wife in on the game though!) and chose a druid so I could solo and travel quickly. Pretty cool to know that a lot of others on the server are in a similar place.

That said, I do miss those grind groups that lasted hours with a good rhythm in a good loot spot... rare but really awesome.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Soloing generally speaking, is faster leveling.

For me personally, it means I don't have to deal with other people's AFKs / Lag / or sometimes just general stupidity! ALSO it means I can AFK whenever I want to and don't have to worry about people getting annoyed.

There are times I enjoy grouping, just like there are times I prefer to solo or just duo/trio.

It isn't a necessary skill by any means, you just see a lot of talk about it because that's the nature of the average player here:

Started EQ in 1999-2001. Likely in middle school-college range (12-20ish)
Add 10 years. These people are now mid 20s-30s. Have some combination of full time job, bills, wife, kids, etc.

Due to this many people do not have a life that can facilitate an 8 hour grind group. But they still love EQ and wish to play, so they ask ideas for soloing that they may not have done 10 years ago when doing this grind groups was no problem after school or inbetween classes.

There are definitely grind groups here and you can go 4-60 in groups exclusively. But there are definitely plenty of soloers here.
Perfect post.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Planar Protector

EXP group calculation is also 100% fucked. You can PL 1 person four times as fast as a 2 person group same penalties, same mobs. Should be slightly under 2x as fast (halved xp, group bonus). EXP's never been right here though, so...
Old 02-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Planar Protector

If you are a healer and want to spend 4 to 5 hours of your life every time you join a group have at it. Not easy to find a healer replacement at the drop of a hat. Same pretty much goes for a Tank.

Been there done that. I just don't want the commitment anymore. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread