Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 06-21-2023, 03:36 PM
Planar Protector

I just use the maps on the wiki, and have them open frequently on my 2nd monitor while I play.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:40 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maps and cartography were added with Legacy of Ykesha, which is several expansions after Scars of Velious.

The project aims to emulate Everquest in the period up to and including Velious. As such the ability to use maps has been removed from the game.

The classic solution is to print off or draw your own maps.

If you are inclined then the games log file can capture output of /who, /loc and sense heading which could be used to create an overlay of a map of the current zone showing your location and facing. There is probably already a software solution for this but I don’t know whether it would be compatible with the games usage agreement.You can also have great fun here playing gambling games.
Creating or printing your own maps is a wonderful throwback to the days when players sat with notebooks beside their keyboards, meticulously documenting their adventures and discoveries. For those who enjoy a tactile connection to the game, this method can enhance the sense of immersion and achievement.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellah [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Creating or printing your own maps is a wonderful throwback to the days when players sat with notebooks beside their keyboards, meticulously documenting their adventures and discoveries. For those who enjoy a tactile connection to the game, this method can enhance the sense of immersion and achievement.
You sir are an excellent bot! Stealth editing the quoted post while ostensibly adding to the discussion. Well played.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 03-29-2024, 08:28 AM
Planar Protector

its classic

use the wiki
Old 03-29-2024, 10:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absinthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly, at that point, I would just play on live
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You sir are an excellent bot! Stealth editing the quoted post while ostensibly adding to the discussion. Well played.
Whoa. I didn’t notice that. Is there a way we can report these bots?
Old 03-29-2024, 10:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its classic

use the wiki
this
Old 04-02-2024, 09:24 PM
Planar Protector

Making notes on quests and printed maps with deets. It's the best.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:29 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In-game maps are unclassic and thus were removed; third-party programs are also unclassic, but probably cannot be prevented.
This is the part you got wrong, in fact the reason that log parses, which allow for map overlays exist in P99 is due to the fact that they were classic, I had a map overlay in the early 2000s during the velious era as did the majority of people I played with. Sure they were newer and maybe not as polished or have as many features but log parse/in game mapping did occur during this era.

What wasn't classic is maps embedded into the game but 3rd party software was used en mas and were generally accepted by the community.
Old 04-03-2024, 03:30 PM
Sarnak

I didn't even play back then but I know you didn't have anything like what p99 players are using now back in velious era. I resisted using that stuff for a long time but it's such a huge advantage at 60 when you're solo farming harder stuff. I think I made to 59 on my chanter, ate a harm touch on a repop in HS and was like fuck it I need some spawn timers.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:01 AM
Large Rat

live has tons of quality of life perks.

-maps
-search command - follow the light to any pc.
-automatic bard twisting
-extremely fast leveling compared to p99
-no corpse recovery!

this isn't even half of the quality of life improvements on live. I think that's why they dont want to add them. if yo0u want all that stuff just play live.
-