Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-11-2020, 02:30 PM
Aviak

Smile Viewport Command - Anyone Else Not Know?

Just booted up P99 for the first time in a while, and it looked mostly... normal I guess, that is to say not great. I noticed in particular that the draw distance seemed to be SUPER low even set to max in the options. I wondered what was up with this.

Well I'm playing on a 3440x1440 ultrawide, never messed about with the resolution much as I figured that's how it's supposed to be. Some random forumgoer mentioned about "viewport" and how EQ was designed for 4:3 aspect ratios, so I play around with this (eventually settling on /viewport 700 0 1920 1440) and I swear the draw distance is much better now, can actually see a lot further, it doesn't seem so "stretched" any more.)

Maybe i've misunderstood something but it seems like, for an ultrawide monitor at 3440x1440 at least, this seems like the highest 4:3 aspect ratio it supports. Really looks a lot closer to how I remember it as a kid.

Just interested to hear other people's thoughts on this!

Edit: Can I just say how incredibly happy it makes me to see Crushbone's Castle and the slaver caves PROPERLY i.e not stretched and distorted out of recognition since the last time I played this on a CRT in about 2003, graphics aren't great but damn I can finally appreciate what it was intended to look like at least!
Last edited by Chris1479; 05-11-2020 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: See above
Old 05-13-2020, 09:44 PM
Large Rat

Thats because the game fov is Vertical Minus instead Horizontal Positive

The further from 4:3 you are (wide) the more it cut from the top and bottom of the render area.

If it was coded in Horizontal+ it would add rendering elements to the side letting you see more when you go wider resolutions like 16:9/21:9 and higher

Setting a vieport is nice because at least you can still use chat and other windows like bags in the black area.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:35 PM
Planar Protector

I used to use viewport way back in the day and put all my UI elements outside the game window.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:16 AM
Large Bat

Thanks for posting this Chris1479, I have an ultra wide and was curious which setting viewport would be for proper pillarboxing for the correct aspect ratio. You rock!

Edit: I actually just adjusted mine to /viewport 760 0 1920 1440 to get the gameplay more centered in the screen, it was a bit far off to the left. Hope that helps!
Last edited by Tsaier; 02-16-2021 at 11:20 AM..
Old 02-17-2021, 06:53 PM
Planar Protector

Its a struggle. Then the text is marginally legible and blurry and...hard.
Lost but not forgotten.