Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheopisIV [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love the toxic narcissism people playing this game exhibit not only in game but on the boards and presumably in life. I'm right, you're wrong so F-Off. It's absolutely useless as anything but entertainment but I do like being entertained so carry on (like you people would ever stop...).

I for one as a "never-before-and-now-practicing" Shaman appreciate the opinions and evidence outlined in the article. I'm always interested to see how people play their characters. Vids are great and I'm a bit of math/stats junky so it's all good.

Min/Max be damned, I can't stand the ogre model so I went Troll and love every minute of my play except the stuns while tanking, but I love my regen after taking some hits. Better or worse, it's all irrelevant and boils down to preference.

Thank you for putting up the guide.
Lol no problem, glad you liked it[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Trolls do look way better than Ogres, I can't deny that. They have the best animation set in the game to boot!
Old 11-22-2020, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

I think a lot of folks get hung up on the notion of "better." Better in this case doesn't mean X is 100 while Y is 60. It's more like X is 100, Y is 98, and Z is 97. Non-powergamers will look at the same data and regard them as effectively equivalent because this game is not that tightly tuned. Sham's guide is specifically geared toward the min-max mindset that seeks out that last couple per cent whether or not it's actually needed in practice. I think of it as a hobbyist mentality, building something for its own sake, not for any special reason beyond that.

Danth
Old 11-22-2020, 04:06 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think a lot of folks get hung up on the notion of "better." Better in this case doesn't mean X is 100 while Y is 60. It's more like X is 100, Y is 98, and Z is 97. Non-powergamers will look at the same data and regard them as effectively equivalent because this game is not that tightly tuned. Sham's guide is specifically geared toward the min-max mindset that seeks out that last couple per cent whether or not it's actually needed in practice. I think of it as a hobbyist mentality, building something for its own sake, not for any special reason beyond that.

Danth
Are you trying to say this is a game and not a way of life? Shame....
Old 11-23-2020, 11:19 PM
Planar Protector

I have a 50 troll on green and a 55 iksar on blue. This by no means makes me a shaman expert, but I think the guide is pretty fair and informative. Don't really understand the anger at you.

My two big takeaways are that some people get really rubbed the wrong way by your posting style from another thread, and that some people really really really hate anyone saying that ogre has the slight edge over other races. But this topic seems like the most contentious issues on the boards historically, maybe only with charm pet power being close in controversy levels.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
some people really really really hate anyone saying that ogre has the slight edge over other races
I agree with this and chalk it up to buyers remorse

If you've invested a significant amount of time in something, find out there is something slightly better (no stuns), you will have a heightened level of cognitive dissonance and attempt to justify your "purchase"

That said, shams are OP with torpor regardless of race. You do you
Old 11-25-2020, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by busted [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree with this and chalk it up to buyers remorse

If you've invested a significant amount of time in something, find out there is something slightly better (no stuns), you will have a heightened level of cognitive dissonance and attempt to justify your "purchase"

That said, shams are OP with torpor regardless of race. You do you
Ogre FSI is useless to raiding ones. The best shaman race is based on what situation you’re encountering. Ogres are no doubt the best solo shaman at 60. Iksars are likely the best raiding shaman. But a lot of people tend to say troll is the best overall because you get the regen benefit for raids and also the snare clicky for solo play, as well as jbb. The debate will never end 😀
Old 11-25-2020, 11:54 AM
Aviak

What debate. Troll = All the win. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-25-2020, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ogre FSI is useless to raiding ones. The best shaman race is based on what situation you’re encountering. Ogres are no doubt the best solo shaman at 60. Iksars are likely the best raiding shaman. But a lot of people tend to say troll is the best overall because you get the regen benefit for raids and also the snare clicky for solo play, as well as jbb. The debate will never end ��
As I mention in my guide, FSI is not useless at all in raid situations. It could allow you to finish casting a slow while a mob is agroed on you. It also maximizes your chances of procing https://wiki.project1999.com/Di%60zok_Oracle_Shillelagh while a mob is agroed on you. This is useful any time you are needed to slow something, which is one of your primary jobs.

Troll/Iksar rengeration is useful in some AoE fights like Lord Feshlak. This is because his AoE can't be avoided. But it isn't really useful in raids past that. This is because most of the time in a raid you are Torporing out of danger. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HjZxMlJSCDc This video shows how quckly a Torpor Shaman can go from Low HP and Mana to full. In the 3 minutes 48 seconds of this video, a Troll/Iksar would only get around 300 HP, which is 1/4 or 1/5 of a Torpor. That extra regen would save you less than 30 seconds, which wouldn't matter at all in a raid. Or you are getting your face smashed in by a mob, which typically means death in a minute or less. A Troll/Iksar would get 80 HP at best during that minute, which isn't going to do much against a mob swinging for 500+ damage.

EDIT: As for the snare neck, I have a few videos on my channel showing how weak clinging darkness is, and honestly how rarely you need to use snare as a Shaman. If you do need snare on a rare situation, there are other items all Shaman races can use to cast snare. So the snare neck really isn't a big deal.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 11-25-2020 at 12:07 PM..
Old 11-25-2020, 01:26 PM
Kobold

Quote:
This is a wiki for a reason. Anyone can contribute. If you see something that is inaccurate or can be improved, don't ask that it be fixed--just improve it.
From the 7 pages that I wasted my time on, I think following this advice would settle most, if not all, of the mud slinging. Don't like the guide? Do your own. Simple.

It is a wiki for a reason you know. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!
Old 11-25-2020, 01:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The debate will never end 😀
Indeed it won't, but I didn't regard this specific thread as the place for such debate. It's about Sham's guide, not my own differing opinions on the matter. I like the data Sham compiled and I understand where he's coming from in his assessments; his guide presents it in a clear and descriptive manner that should suit just about anyone. It's a pretty good guide by P99 wiki standards, even if I have a different notion of "best" because I weigh some factors differently than he does.

Danth
Closed Thread