Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 01:54 PM
Sarnak

Thank you SO much for your response!
Old 04-29-2020, 10:53 PM
Sarnak

Default NPC Spawn Issue: Magi P'Tasa Staff of Elemental Mastery Earth drop rate

Gnomish Greetings!

I found another website that contains references to Matt Waggoner's website. There is no date on the website, but the same in era references and no mentions of revenants About 2/3 of the way though the text you can see familiar text from other posts:

http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~guardian/epic-mag0.txt
Quote:
Staff of Earth drops off Magi P'Tasa in Hate. He is on a rare pop out of
several (12) places, so there can be multiples of him up, although I have
never seen more than 2. The drop rate is about 1 in 4. One uber group can do
him, although you probably need an all out raid.
There is a lot more color around the quest in this text post about mobs and encounters than some of the other sites. At the very end of the website you can see they reference sources.

Quote:
*Lots of Mob Info came from
Matt Waggoner's Ultimate Magician Epic Quest Guide.
( http://matt.waggoner.com/orbofmastery.html )

*All Pictures are from The Mage Compendium.
( http://www.magecompendium.com/ )
Since there are no pictures at all in this all text document, it is likely a saved copy and paste from another website. However, it points to the information on Matt's site as being a trusted source for many mages.

And then I hit the jackpot. I feel stupid for not trying this obvious look up before. The ultimate proof of in period drop rates from the source everyone else is copying (The Wayback Machine look up - Doh):

https://web.archive.org/web/20011005...ofmastery.html
Quote:
UPDATE: The Staff of Elemental Mastery: Earth *** NO LONGER DROPS OFF INNORUUK ***! It now drops off a new mob in the Plane of Hate, a mini-boss named Magi P'tasa. We need details such as his HP, how much he hits for, and so on. In other words, all the stuff that would go in the fields below.

Thanks to Bahmut Illuminarie of Ayonae Ro for some basic info about Magi P'tasa.

Arkahn Tyr'Zhal of Ayonae Ro sent me the following info:

Magi, like all mini bosses, is a semi-rare spawn with a placeholder on a 72 hour timer + or - 12 hours (60-84 hour spawn). He spawns in 10 different spots:
2 in rev house
2 on top floor in maestro's house
2 with ashenbone drakes on first floor
2 in inny's old lair
2 on second floor of second floor church.

This explains why he can spawn a ton in a few hours, or can sometimes never spawn even if hate is cleared completely. He is NOT always up after patches... but he has a very good chance of being up because he has about a 30% chance of spawning in 10 spots, but sometimes the spots could all be filled with phs (has happened before). He has 32k hp, hits for max of 200-240 (depending on level of the spawn >> 54-56 <<, and he CAN be slowed, malosini'd and debuffed in many other ways. He can be taken out with one full group if you are good and have a 60 shaman.

Drop rates are as follows:
30% chance of dropping the staff
30% chance of dropping apothic robe
40% chance of dropping apothic sleeves, pants, or crown
50% chance of dropping apothic bracer, gloves, or boots

so far he is known to drop up to 3 armor pieces at a time

none of this info except spawn spots has been "verified" yet but i have done a lot of research about the magi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am not sure I can find you any better evidence than this. We have an in period player who did a lot of research and was trusted by the person who wrote the book/website on how to obtain the epic that everyone else quotes and copies (as you have seen from my earlier research). I would think this is conclusive evidence of the drop rate.

I will continue poking around, but doubt I could find any better evidence than this.

Thanks for bearing with me through my research.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:56 PM
Sarnak

Excellent job!
Old 04-30-2020, 04:15 AM
Sarnak

Gwideon is the MVP for all mages! This is awesome work, truly awesome.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:17 AM
Planar Protector

Nice one Gwideon.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:45 AM
Kobold

good work
i played a magician on blue and couldnt be bothered to finish the epic but now if staff becomes easier to get i might unshelve the toon

on the same page, in the smae message gwiedon refers to we have more info
https://web.archive.org/web/20011005...ofmastery.html

Code:
Name: Magi P'tasa
Zone: Plane of Hate
Spawn time: 1 day
Drops: Staff of Elemental Mastery: Earth (uncommon to rare drop), numerous other items
Class: ?
Level: 55
Hit Points: 32000
Casts: Damage shield on himself (he might recast it if you cancel his DS)
Hits for (max): 240
Notes: ?
Appearance: Large male revenant
it says spawn time 1 day, which seems to contradict himself when he says 72 hrs

it says uncommon to rare drop too, which contradicts the 30% drop rate he mentions above

imo, set it to 24 hours +/- 8 hours, staff drops 30% and there will be a lot of happy mages
Old 04-30-2020, 07:47 AM
Planar Protector

Typically common means 75% and uncommon means 25%.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:37 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyrkoon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It says spawn time 1 day, which seems to contradict himself when he says 72 hrs
It really should say Spawn Time: Special since the mechanics for his spawn are different than most other mobs. He describes that the 10 spots and says that each spawn point has a 30% chance to spawn the Magi. I think on P99 the rate of his spawn is lower that 30% in each spawn location, possibly 10% (since there are 10 different minis that can spawn there). So, I think you are correct that his spawn rate is lower than in period, but the research does not indicate a straight 1 day spawn.
Quote:
but he has a very good chance of being up because he has about a 30% chance of spawning in 10 spots
In actuality the spawn rate could be many times in 1 day if the 10 spots are staggered in the spawn time.
Quote:
This explains why he can spawn a ton in a few hours, or can sometimes never spawn even if hate is cleared completely.
This indicates to me that the Magi is far more likely to spawn than the other 9 minis. Or it is possible that a few of the other minis also have a higher rate than some of the filler placeholders. However, since the walk through is about the mage epic, he only catalogs the Magi.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:38 AM
Former Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyrkoon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it says spawn time 1 day, which seems to contradict himself when he says 72 hrs
This is not a contradiction. "Spawn time" is a classic thing, it refers to how long the mob takes to initially spawn upon a server reset (such as a patch or zone reset).

Respawn time is how often mob pops after initial pop (spawn time)
Old 05-03-2020, 07:29 PM
Skeleton

Anecdotal I know and not submitting as evidence, but I got my staff on my first Magi kill on live and have pretty much reserved myself to slowly accruing 1 million pp here.
Closed Thread