Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 09:55 PM
Planar Protector

If you can afford it, FBSS will be better for you. Now that Stonebrunt is out, you could quest the 15% belt in that zone at level 30 for free, but I guess the heretic heads are rare drops and the belt is a rare reward, so saving plat for the belt might be more expedient. The gloves are cheaper, but for as fast as you're gonna level and as good as monk weapons are anyway, you'll get to your 40's and 50's where better haste is easier to get fast enough where you may as well just spend the plat on a tink bag. If you get in a guild that does sky, you can get rotting 21% haste belt for free at level 46.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:54 AM
Sarnak

For me weight wasn't a huge issue until 50+.

That being said you always need to keep an eye on the weight of the items you are equipping starting at level 1. However, most of the time my monk weighed 30lbs while fighting. At 50+ you may find it easier to reduce weight than to add item AC to get an edge.

I'll add that AC is only useful if you are getting hit and cant just FD out of it.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:25 PM
Fire Giant

Having a larger HP pool also increases how much mend heals for and allows you to bandage to hella high HP total.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:35 PM
Kobold

I got some decent armor and weapons and managed to get to lvl 23 so far. Should I save for haste or weight reduction bags?
Old 03-15-2017, 11:24 PM
Kobold

From a min/max perspective: haste, then weapons, then weight reduction and armor. That's assuming you already have a Wu's Quivering Staff and two Trance Sticks (or something better) -- otherwise, those should be your first purchases.

From a peace of mind perspective, being a monk is SO MUCH nicer and easier once you get a bunch of weight reduction. I have two tinks, a large soiled bag, and 4 lionhide bags, and I'm thinking about upgrading some of my lionhide bags to tinks and some of my tinks to dragon bags. I remember the days when I worried about what I looted and what I carried. Those days are largely gone, and it's wonderful.

So, both options are valid.

I wrote a Monk guide: Meviin's Monk Mechanics
I wrote a guide on purple links in incoming messages:
Meviin's Macros: Purple Links When Pulling

Meviin - 60 Monk (Iksar) <Kittens Who Say Meow>
Laylot - 21 Necromancer (Iksar) <Kittens Who Say Meow>
Kozev - 12 Enchanter (High Elf) <Kittens Who Say Meow>
Old 03-16-2017, 07:43 AM
Planar Protector

At 57 my monk has never carried more than 3 bags: tiny 10 slot 100% from solb and 2 shralok packs. Turn your coin into gems, delete your copper/silver and don't pick up things that aren't worth the weight. One day I'll pick up some better bags but so far it hasn't been an issue.

I'm anal about staying at or below weight - it makes a big difference.

To buy in order as a starting monk:

-WQS
-5/55 rings
-magic boots
-cheap light weight armor (cured silk)
-save for haste

Once the basics are covered explore different weapons (AC/SOS/IFS/PB) , start acquiring resist jewelry.

Don't waste your money on anything else until this point. Save your pennies for the fungi you'll eventually be able to afford.

Monks can get a lot of stuff done with little investment thanks to AC bonus, avoidance, fd, bind wound, and mend.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 03-16-2017, 10:06 AM
Kobold

I went with strength as my main starting stats. I know a lot of people say that's dumb because you can easily max it with raid gear but I know I will never have uber raid gear. I wanted the extra damage but I guarantee you will never notice the difference either way.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdub [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I went with strength as my main starting stats. I know a lot of people say that's dumb because you can easily max it with raid gear but I know I will never have uber raid gear. I wanted the extra damage but I guarantee you will never notice the difference either way.
You need 120 STR to cap with level 60 shaman buffs. Thats the big reason why most people don't put starting stats into STR. You can hit 120 STR very easily.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:14 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowako [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You need 120 STR to cap with level 60 shaman buffs. Thats the big reason why most people don't put starting stats into STR. You can hit 120 STR very easily.
I fully understand that, I just don't really plan to raid so it was kinda whatever for me.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:27 AM
Planar Protector

I put full points into strength as well - no regrets. An extra 15-20 stamina even at 60 is not a big difference. Min/max? Of course ... but you spend an awful lot of time on this box not being 60, not having str/focus stack, and not having full raid gear.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Closed Thread