Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 08:39 AM
Skeleton

Default Could someone explain exactly how resistances work?

I know what you're thinking, check the Wiki, but on the wiki it says (Todo: Add the mechanics and formulas behind resistances.) I understand that the bigger the number the less spells hit you, but does anyone know more about how it works?
For example, what does 45 magic resist mean? 45% chance to resist spells of that nature, or?
Old 07-23-2020, 09:09 AM
Planar Protector

It’s something like each 10 resist stat is 5% resistance against a white con caster. Higher con casters are harder to resist and the opposite for lower.

You always have a ‘nat 1’ and ‘nat 20’ chance to resist/be resisted.

Something like that.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:45 AM
Banned

resisting damage and a spell from that school calculates differently
Old 07-23-2020, 09:50 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It’s something like each 10 resist stat is 5% resistance against a white con caster. Higher con casters are harder to resist and the opposite for lower.

You always have a ‘nat 1’ and ‘nat 20’ chance to resist/be resisted.

Something like that.
So to have a 95% chance of resisting a white con you need a resist score of like 200?

If so, then it looks like resists span the same range of value as all skills.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:48 AM
Large Bat

255 mr will resist MAYBE 40% vs a white con.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:15 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
255 mr will resist MAYBE 40% vs a white con.
Really? only 40%? Are resists even worth it?
Old 07-23-2020, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dural_Levant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So to have a 95% chance of resisting a white con you need a resist score of like 200?

If so, then it looks like resists span the same range of value as all skills.
I don’t think it’s linear. Maybe 10% resist chance at 20 stat then x 1.05 for each extra 10. This is a very loosey goosey guess off what u’ve seen others suggest.

It maybe worth heading to eqemu to see their open code, which will be the basis for p199 but revised.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:30 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dural_Levant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Really? only 40%? Are resists even worth it?
Definitely. say you camp a place full of casters for an hour where many of the mobs cast spells, say you get hit by a hundred spells an hour. saving against 40% (roughly) of them is actually really really good odds in a roleplaying game. I mean, the difference between a 30% and a 35% spell save is pretty huge, especially when fights so often come down to 1 or 2 spells/attacks between life and death.

The way I see it is that we grind literally thousands of mobs in EQ, if we counted all the resists we made, I bet that 40% is pretty noticeable.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:29 PM
Sarnak

EQEmu's code is probably not helpful here, since they have definitely changed a bunch of stuff.

IIRC, on EQEmu non-damage spells, you get a resist check roll from 0 to 200, and you need to roll under your resist to resist it. Resistance is modified by the level difference squared, so 5 levels higher = 25 resist all, 10 levels higher = 100 resist all. Damage spells have a whole bunch of code to calculate partials, which I didn't fully read but I believe makes it so you often take some damage if you resisted, I think some source indicated that you needed 600 resist to never get partialed, ever, which is probably why Immune mobs often have 1000 resist in a type, so they stay over 600 to Lures.

I'm on blue, but my gut feeling is that the 2 resist = 1% resist is at least kind of close, but that there might be a larger impact from level differences. I will say that there are a number of fights that are much, much easier with excellent resists and maxed levels; the difference between doing Talendor at 57 with 190 FR and 60 with 255 FR was huge, and trying to do Sev at 135 PR vs. 245 when I didn't have buffs was just crippling.

I'm effectively immune to siren enchanters in SG at 60 with 225 MR; they're really nice to kill, actually, because their AC is terrible and they spend all their time trying to slow, charm or gflux me, which does nothing. Duoing the same mobs at 55 with 175 MR was very noticeably more dangerous, as they would still sometimes be able to charm me to sic on my partner or land a slow or debuff DoT, and that causes a lot of problems.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:56 PM
Planar Protector

I am convinced resists can go over 255 (it just doesn’t show on UI) ... when you are just brushing 255 it feels like you get far fewer resists than when you are massively ‘overcap’.
Closed Thread