Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-14-2023, 09:51 AM
Orc

Question Dark Themes for Wiki

Any chance we can get some dark themes for wiki? I get blasted from my second monitor.

HTML Code:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:DavidL/DarkTheme
If you all need Dev help, I can provide resume and references.

Cheers,
~Matt
Nummen on Green
Old 02-14-2023, 11:14 AM
Planar Protector

There are browser extensions to make sites dark. Firefox has Dark Reader, Chrome has Dark Theme and may possibly be others as well
Old 02-14-2023, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are browser extensions to make sites dark. Firefox has Dark Reader, Chrome has Dark Theme and may possibly be others as well
This.

The problem is, A) what you linked might have issues with our (old) version of the MediaWiki software, and B) it would change the wiki for everyone (ie. it wouldn't be a "dark mode", it'd be permanent darkness for all).

It is possible to add a (true) dark mode to the wiki though. It would take someone who knows CSS writing a new CSS file, or modifying and testing that guy's (it has almost 2500 lines of code, so starting fresh might actually be easier than tweaking/testing his file). Either way, the new file would need to use the prefer-color-scheme media query, to only show the styles with dark mode turned on in their browser.

If anyone wants to make/test such a file I'll happily add it to the wiki ... but Kavious's suggestion of just using a browser extension is probably going to be a lot easier.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-14-2023, 02:45 PM
Fire Giant

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LfZ5d9G1n4JTS3f29
Old 03-12-2023, 02:09 PM
Aviak

adding a new skin wouldn't "change the wiki for everyone"

only for people who selected the dark skin
Old 03-12-2023, 03:28 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Thank you!
Old 03-12-2023, 03:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
adding a new skin wouldn't "change the wiki for everyone"

only for people who selected the dark skin
Did you just stop reading in the middle of my post? I explained that having it work "only for people who selected it" was possible.

We just need a dark mode CSS file with the media query to let it toggle based on the user's browser preference. No one has volunteered to make one yet.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:38 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This.

The problem is, A) what you linked might have issues with our (old) version of the MediaWiki software, and B) it would change the wiki for everyone (ie. it wouldn't be a "dark mode", it'd be permanent darkness for all).

It is possible to add a (true) dark mode to the wiki though. It would take someone who knows CSS writing a new CSS file, or modifying and testing that guy's (it has almost 2500 lines of code, so starting fresh might actually be easier than tweaking/testing his file). Either way, the new file would need to use the prefer-color-scheme media query, to only show the styles with dark mode turned on in their browser.

If anyone wants to make/test such a file I'll happily add it to the wiki ... but Kavious's suggestion of just using a browser extension is probably going to be a lot easier.

Hey bro, you don't have to reply just to say they won't or we can't. That's not helpful for the sake of sounding helpful.

It's just no dark mode in 2023? Is it a huge programmatic effort to add a theme to a wiki and see if it works? I'm almost very sure that it's not.

They may only have productions systems to work with. I could see how one would not want to rock that boat.

If they don't want to take the time that's fine. I don't get the lack of support. I mean I get it, but I don't. But I guess I can't complain...?

Thanks for the alternatives guys!
Old 03-12-2023, 03:41 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkmarino [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Thanks! Dark reader is great so far! Exactly what I'vce been looking for. Let's just see how it messes up my cert classes. haha!
Old 03-12-2023, 03:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meulaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey bro, you don't have to reply just to say they won't or we can't.
That's not what I said.

I said, we can (and, as you suggested, it's really not hard) ... but it does take someone who knows CSS spending an hour or two to write the CSS file, and test it to make sure it doesn't make any wiki pages unreadable. If anyone is willing to do that, I'll happily "install" it on the wiki.

If you were motivated enough, you could probably teach yourself enough CSS in an hour or two to do the job yourself (there are tons of Youtube videos and tutorials and such).