Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-21-2021, 03:04 PM
Large Bat

Default Right click camera control - Linux

Hi all, I've been trying to fix this since I started P99 4 months ago, but I finally give up to come ask for help.
I'm running P99 on a Dell Latitude E6410
Operating system is fosspup64 9.5 Linux Kernal 5.4.53 running Xorg 1.20.8
Video card is Nvidia 3100M PCIe 512MB driver is 340.108

Problem is in game, using the right click to change camera angle is choppy. Otherwise I don't get lag usually, but the appearance is similar to lag. With enough bumping, twitching and jerking of the mouse, I can usually get the camera where I want it (yes, the "Mouse Look" button in Options->Mouse is clicked down yellow).

I have tried changing the in game settings every way I can find. Particularly I want to try adjusting the Max. Frames Per Second, but whenever I do, it reverts back to 60. Is this the same as the refresh rate of the screen, which is set to 60 (or 59.99) Hz in the Nvidia control panel?

I have tried WinEQ2 but struggled to get it working in my 64bit Linux running 32bit EQ through the program called wine.

TIA
Last edited by bobbinhoppin; 03-21-2021 at 03:07 PM..
Old 03-21-2021, 03:38 PM
Planar Protector

There's a command you can run, winecfg, which lets you configure WINE. You can set which version of Windows it's trying to emulate, whether it runs EQ in a virtual desktop, etc.

I'd recommend playing around with the Windows versions, and with the options in the Graphics tab (eg. that virtual desktop thing I mentioned), and see if different configurations help. I can't say specifically "use Windows 95, it will fix things", but very often trying different configurations will help.

Also, if you haven't already, make sure you're using the latest graphics drivers ... or at least the latest available for your repo (eg. on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint the latest ones in apt-get).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:47 PM
Orc

Are you playing in a window(full screen window counts as window) or full screen?

Do you experience the same lag and hitching if you keyboard turned?

The in game FPS will top out at whatever your current screen refresh rate is.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:49 PM
Large Bat

I will play with winecfg, that is new to me!
I am in windowed mode.
I do not experience the lag/hitching when I move with the keyboard.
It seems I cannot adjust the in game frames per second, it always reverts to 60 after relogging and there is no noticeable effect. My Nvidia control panel only has 2 options, 60 and 40.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:58 PM
Large Bat

So I realized Everquest is misidentifying my video card. In game, in Options->Display->Advanced is the wrong video card model listed.

My driver seems up to date in Linux. Maybe Wine needs a Windows video driver? I dont see it in winecfg. Is that a dll? Changing the Windows version did change the video card model identified by Everquest in a couple cases.
Last edited by bobbinhoppin; 03-21-2021 at 09:00 PM..
Old 03-21-2021, 09:00 PM
Orc

I have never had good luck adjusting the Max FPS in the options under display. Even out of game in the eqclient.ini file if I set something there it'll just ignore it and give me all of the FPS (that my system+screen can handle).

What wine version are you using ?
Do you remember installing directx(d3dx9) at all ?
Old 03-21-2021, 10:21 PM
Large Bat

wine-5.9

I do not think directx is installed.

I'm wondering if this is an X server configuration..../shrug

Thx for helping
Old 03-21-2021, 11:50 PM
Orc

There are a few things needed to get Everquest working well on wine. It won't run very well just installing wine and hitting the installer and hoping for the best.

So that being said. There is a website called WineHQ. It collects a database of various games and how well they work on wine and what steps people do to "make it work" if needed. Here is the one for Everquest : link

Also there is a utility/program that really simplifies the setup and config process for wine called Lutris. They also have their own database of sorts here. It also has a 'Everquest Project 1999' version installer on this page here
Old 03-22-2021, 12:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-EAVKR [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It won't run very well just installing wine and hitting the installer and hoping for the best.
I think it'd be more accurate to say YMMV (your mileage may vary). For me, with a few-year-old laptop and Linux Mint Mate, I literally can just install WINE, copy my installation over, and everything "just works".

But of course, part of the "fun" of LInux is that different distros, different hardware, etc. all conspire to make it so as I said ... YMMV.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:16 PM
Orc

You're absolutely right. Maybe I was a little harsh in what I wrote. There are many factors to consider from both the user and the system. The process of simply installing the base requirement of Wine can be trivial to some and problematic for others. Sometimes it'll just work as expected and sometimes it needs some tweaking.