Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-27-2023, 11:57 AM
VIP / Contributor

Default Do your graphics freeze in places? Post here

For certain players, specific locations will cause the display to stop updating even though the game continues to play. This can be corrected by resetting the display, although sometimes this will cause a ResetDeviceFailed() crash. See demonstration above (skyshrine steps are notorious for this, as are OT docks)

Trying to track down this issue. If you've ever had this happen, post below with a breakdown of your OS, graphics card, any eq specific things you are running (i.e. wineq2, dgvoodoo, etc), whether you're using any FPS modifications, and any other relevant information.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:01 PM
Aviak

I have had this issue.

Primarily at OT/SF tunnel, Skyshrine, and randomly in other locations.

Asus Rog laptop with Nvidia 1650 and Asus Rog with 2060 both have same issue.

Installing DGVoodoo 100% fixed it on both though - or at least it has not reoccurred in the 4-5 weeks since I did that.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:56 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I crash almost 100% of the time in Wakening Lands near the eastern entrance to geonids. Anywhere between: (-3000, -1500) to (-2000, -1000). I've talked to many people who crash around here as well. The crash is a screen freeze exactly as you describe. I can still hear sounds, type to group, and cast spells, but I am essentially blind until I /quit and restart.

Specs:
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 TI

I am not running wineq2 or dgvoodoo. I am using DuxaUI.
I've done any recommendation under the sun for updating eqclient.ini and reinstalling P99.

Just installed DGVoodoo. Will report back if that fixes my screen freeze.
Last edited by Kenshi235; 02-28-2023 at 09:06 PM..
Old 02-28-2023, 11:49 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdfurry [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have had this issue.

Primarily at OT/SF tunnel, Skyshrine, and randomly in other locations.

Asus Rog laptop with Nvidia 1650 and Asus Rog with 2060 both have same issue.

Installing DGVoodoo 100% fixed it on both though - or at least it has not reoccurred in the 4-5 weeks since I did that.
Send me a DM on discord, I'd like to take a look at your dgvoodoo2 configuration vs mine and see if there's a difference that jumps out. Dgvoodoo2 fixed zone crashes for me but not this.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:09 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Crashing at OT/SF zoneline in OT, SS coming around the corner and down the ramp from Lararith, and WL Geos tunnel just inside eastside entrance.

Video Card: NVidia GeForce RTX 3060
Used WinEQ2 and dgvoodoo2, neither of which helped the ResetDeviceFailed errors.
Old 03-02-2023, 01:28 PM
Aviak

I can try to gather details on my changes later, but might be in a good position to help diagnose.

This issue used to happen fairly regularly after I started playing again in ~2016. Around 2018 and beyond, I combed through threads and did practically everything except WinEQ2:
  • Altered .bat for CPU affinity 1
  • Altered .bat to /wait to keep cmd window alive
  • Set eqgame.exe compatibility to WinXP SP2
  • Installed dgvoodoo2
  • Forced use of nvidia card
  • Altered nvidia settings, tinkered with a lot here
  • Probably some others I can't remember

Hard to nail down what specifically helped, but this problem went away for years.

After another p99 break, I started up again about a month ago. More out of curiosity than anything, I was tinkering with some settings and ended up with a slightly new setup. This freezing problem has now happened twice in the past month. It seems fairly rare, but it's not something I've seen in a very long time.

High level recent changes:
  • No longer using .bat to launch
  • No CPU Affinity 1
  • No /wait for cmd shell persistence
  • Altered some nvidia settings, returned a lot to defaults (notably removing vsync)
  • Altered registry to enable Large Address Awareness for eqgame.exe
  • Updated version of dgvoodoo2
  • Altered dgvoodoo2 config (used GUI this time, previously would edit config file directly)
  • Possibly other changes, can review in more detail later

I likely (hopefully!) have a backup of my previous setup (minus the nvidia settings) so can compare this evening. My hunch was undoing CPU Affinity 1 being the leading culprit, but that likely conflicts with many players who do not have this issue and also have not set CPU affinity.

Have you (or anyone) been able to determine what triggers this issue? Locations, parameters, etc. that could be used for some relatively controlled testing?
Old 03-03-2023, 03:56 AM
Large Rat

I Also have this issue. While it does tend to be more common in specific areas as stated in this thread, I feel like it also just randomly occurs sometimes no matter where I am.

Not sure if this is related or a different issue but if I log out of one account and then into a different account and then alt tab my game it will give the reset device error 100% of the time. I have not heard of anyone else having this issue.

video card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 super
Trying dgvoodoo2 now but doesn't seem like its helping
Old 03-03-2023, 12:42 PM
Orc

Have you ever had this issue occur while using a UI that was not the default P99 UI?

I used to encounter this issue in East Freeport while camping guards, specifically at 187 -203 -52 while medding near the lamp post in the corner by the Trader's Holiday building. Occasionally when I would go to move/engage a guard the video would freeze as shown in your video. Repro on this issue would take about 1.5-2 hours of remaining in the same zone, but it was ALWAYS reproduced in the exact same location.

I have since resolved this issue, though it is not clear how. I have upgraded to Windows 11 since last seeing the issue and did a full reinstall of the Titanium client from the discs. I do not use any custom files (aside from those distributed by P99) and I do not use dgvoodoo2 or WinEQ. I usually use DuxaUI and can only recall ever seeing this occur with the P99 default UI.

GPU: AMD RX 6900XT
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
RAM: 32GB @3200 MHz

Edit: one other change since seeing this issue disappear was moving from an ultra-wide monitor with a 3440x2160 native resolution back to a standard 1920x1080 monitor. I ran the game windowed (without WinEQ) in both instances but only ever encountered this freeze with the widescreen resolution.
Last edited by Kemadin; 03-03-2023 at 12:50 PM..
Old 03-04-2023, 07:16 PM
Skeleton

Same thing has been happening to be since I came back to p99 a couple weeks ago. Maybe 3 times total.. Twice in Crushbone and once in LFay.

I started researching it all over and have seen multiple people post that hitting alt-enter (switching to full screen) fixes the issue while it’s happening without having to camp. I haven’t had it happen recently to be able to test this, but wondering if any of you have tried this short-term fix?
Old 03-04-2023, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeSeeker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I started researching it all over and have seen multiple people post that hitting alt-enter (switching to full screen) fixes the issue while it’s happening without having to camp.
I don't play on win10 or 11, I actually still play on a really old winxp machine, but I will encounter a somewhat similar problem where if I lock the screen by hitting windowskey+L, and then come back and unlock the screen, the EQ window will be totally black but I can still hear game sounds and my character clearly hasn't actually crashed. Alt-enter to fullscreen fixes it, although sometimes the transition to fullscreen crashes the client instead, but pretty rarely.