Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 09:58 PM
Planar Protector

Default Blue: 3k Plat Wiki Challenge!

What is This?

When you're starting out on Blue, a little plat can go a long way. I like to help newer players out with some plat ... but as a Shaman of the Tribunal I can't just give treasure away for free: you have to earn it, by helping your fellow players and improving the wiki!

What do I Have to Do?

In past challenges I've focused people on specific wiki areas (eg. fashion screenshots or hunting spots). This time I'd like to try something new: you get/have to make your own wiki mission!

Find a way to improve the wiki and post about it in this thread, along with your wiki username so I can verify. You are welcome/encouraged to post your idea here first before doing the work; this is optional, but I can offer advice, mention if the wiki already has something similar, etc.

If you don't know what to do, the hunting guides (Per-Level and Treasure) always need entries, many cities still don't have starting guides, many zones haven't been "loc-mapped", tons of fashion screenshots are still needed ... just look around (and/or look at past challenges).

How Much Will I Get?

I will "judge" all submissions based on effort and accomplishment, and award up to 3k. If you post your "mission" here first before doing it I can tell you in advance.

As a simple example, adding a single very basic new hunting guide entry, with very few details, might only get you 500 plat. To get 3k plat you could add six such entries, or maybe just three entries with tons of details and some screenshots of the monsters ... or maybe even just a single entry could be enough, if it had it's own wiki page full of details and maps/screenshots (see the guides in the Hunting Spots Category for examples).

How Long do I Have?

Between now and midnight on Sunday the 3rd of May.

How do I Claim My Reward?

My Druid will deliver it to you at your choice of Druid ring. Alternatively I could also meet at most banks (we can communicate the details in the thread or via PM).

I Have Other Questions!

Post them here and I'll answer them.

I hope everyone enjoys this chance to earn a little extra spending cash while helping the wiki!

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:19 PM
Planar Protector

P.S. Another couple ideas: https://wiki.project1999.com/Tech_Support could use tons of help (and there's a lot of information in the technical forum that could be very valuable if added to the wiki). Also if anyone is a big fan of EQ Youtube videos, http://wiki.project1999.com/Videos could use some love also.

Both of those are things that even the newest players to the server could contribute to. But again, there are also many, many other opportunities in the wiki for improvement, so don't let these ideas limit you.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:22 PM
Sarnak

I'd like to thank Loramin for the last plat challenge he did before Green launched. I was a noob at that point and even though my submissions were late he still honored the deal and even gave me a little extra (total of 700pp).

It made a world of difference not needing to scrounge for plat each spell level. Thanks Loramin!

(stealth bump)

Zipps - 51 HLF Druid <Castle>
Lykosor - 49 DE Necro <Castle>
Aspom - 12 HEF Ranger <Castle>
Slyng - 31 HEF Bard <Castle>
Flecrad - 21 DE Enchanter <Castle>
Lykos - 43 HIE Mage <Castle>
Ribkage - 17 GNM Boneknight <Castle>
Old 04-27-2020, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspomwell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd like to thank Loramin for the last plat challenge he did before Green launched. I was a noob at that point and even though my submissions were late he still honored the deal and even gave me a little extra (total of 700pp).

It made a world of difference not needing to scrounge for plat each spell level. Thanks Loramin!

(stealth bump)
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 04-28-2020, 10:50 AM
Sarnak

Hm. I might to do something for this, as my favorite part of this game is uncovering mechanics stuff. I have a number of experiments I've run over the years that gathered information that I don't think is on the wiki. Some ideas:

--Information about archery and NPC spell ranges, Z-axis behavior (Archery is not range capped at 300 range, NPC hitboxes add to range, range can exceed dragon fear)
--How to vertically climb open air with gflux and mage lev rings
--NPC vs. NPC aggro mechanics
--A map of Siren's Grotto with all the spawn points listed with a sample mob that spawns at that location, and a guide to breaking into the temple down the hole
--NPC debuff line equivalents for the Buff Lines page, based off the spell effects dat info. I've got a spreadsheet somewhere where I worked out theoretical maximum lines for debuffing AC and the various resists IIRC.
--Tradeskill information (information regarding greater than 95% success rates on deep trivial combines, tradeskill skillup modifiers for different tradeskills from stock eqemu. Would be willing to prove if Brewing matches the predicted base eqemu skillup rate here to statistically significant levels (believe it does based on personal experience, but haven't done a statistical analysis), but there's too many tradeskills for me to be willing to prove them all at different skillup levels.)
--I should probably link the Shardwing Courier quest onto the XP hunting table since it got me maybe 20% of 59, its a decent solo XP pickup for rogues or people with the right faction, even if its not really campable per se.

Jayya can't take outside plat, but I have some mechanics tests involving average root duration on specific Tashed/Maloed mobs that I would like to run, as well as a mechanics tests involving feared and rooted mobs fighting each other that I would like to run in GD between giants and dwarves. Would you be willing to pay me by assisting with those Loramin? Shouldn't be more than half an hour or so for each plus some travel time, I would expect (and I'll put the results on the wiki).
Old 04-28-2020, 11:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
--How to vertically climb open air with gflux and mage lev rings
This sounds like a great addition to the https://wiki.project1999.com/Advanced_Techniques_Guide . I'd think this could be worth 250-750, depending on how detailed you make it and whether you take the time to include a screenshot or two. 250 would be for just a few sentences (like many of the other advanced techniques), whereas 750 would be for a nice detailed description (which may even require its own separate page, as the recharging did).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
--NPC debuff line equivalents for the Buff Lines page, based off the spell effects dat info. I've got a spreadsheet somewhere where I worked out theoretical maximum lines for debuffing AC and the various resists IIRC.
As the person who compiled the Buff Lines page, let me just say that while I would love to see that, and while the wiki has all the data you need, making such pages are a lot of work. Thus, even if you only made a fraction of such a page (eg. only one class's spells, or only a few "lines") it could be enough to earn the entire 3k.

But as for your spreadsheet, just be careful: if it's based on unclassic sources you may need to update it with classic data from the wiki.

Quote:
A map of Siren's Grotto with all the spawn points listed with a sample mob that spawns at that location, and a guide to breaking into the temple down the hole
This could be super useful also. SG has no guides in the wiki currently, and the maps are ... not EQAtlas maps (which is to say they could definitely benefit from some additional details).

Even just a single, well-done, SG guide could also be worth the entire 3k, but it would have to have all the relevant details (like the better guides in https://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Hunting%20Spots).

Quote:
--I should probably link the Shardwing Courier quest onto the XP hunting table since it got me maybe 20% of 59, its a decent solo XP pickup for rogues or people with the right faction, even if its not really campable per se.
The hunting spot guides always need more places to hunt, so this too would be great. As I said in the original post, the exact plat reward would vary based on how detailed the entry was (0.5-1k).

As for all of the rest of the "research" ideas, those all sound great too! I can't give specific plat numbers without knowing more details, but in general if you add any significant chunk of data to the wiki that requires any significant amount of in-game (or online classic) research, that would very likely qualify for the whole 3k. And even the "easier" ideas (you mentioned one that you thought would only require half an hour of research) would still be worth at least 1k.

Quote:
Jayya can't take outside plat
Ah yes, ALS [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I can give the plat to another (non-ALS) character of your's, or you can do anything else you want with it (eg. give it to a non-ALS friend).

Can't wait to see what you contribute!

Old 04-28-2020, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

My submission is a page on death.

I suggest this page includes the penalties for death, such as respawning at your bind without your equipment, a limited time period in which you can return to the place you died to retrieve your unbanked equipment as well as what XP penalties are for dying and when they may occur.

The page could include advance strategies for dieing, such as erudite casters farming skill ups so they can actually solo a level 1 mob, using it as a ghetto FD, using it to restock supplies/bank before being rezzed back to camp and so on.

There also could be an NPC section, describing what happens to NPCs on death, depending on NPC type and how the NPC was killed.

Death is an integral part of Everquest, and I was amazed recently to see there is not a page dedicated to this mechanic.

My wiki profile is Eldrath, and I apologise for the update I recently made to the disclaimer page.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As the person who compiled the Buff Lines page, let me just say that while I would love to see that, and while the wiki has all the data you need, making such pages are a lot of work. Thus, even if you only made a fraction of such a page (eg. only one class's spells, or only a few "lines") it could be enough to earn the entire 3k.

But as for your spreadsheet, just be careful: if it's based on unclassic sources you may need to update it with classic data from the wiki.
I went back and checked, and I'm not 100% sure that the info I pulled for this was classic, so I'll probably skip this one. Like all eqemu or non-classic sources, its useful as a personal guide to what might be true here, but I don't have access to the characters to validate this easily.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My submission is a page on death.

I suggest this page includes the penalties for death, such as respawning at your bind without your equipment, a limited time period in which you can return to the place you died to retrieve your unbanked equipment as well as what XP penalties are for dying and when they may occur.

The page could include advance strategies for dieing, such as erudite casters farming skill ups so they can actually solo a level 1 mob, using it as a ghetto FD, using it to restock supplies/bank before being rezzed back to camp and so on.

There also could be an NPC section, describing what happens to NPCs on death, depending on NPC type and how the NPC was killed.

Death is an integral part of Everquest, and I was amazed recently to see there is not a page dedicated to this mechanic.

My wiki profile is Eldrath, and I apologise for the update I recently made to the disclaimer page.
I think this would be an awesome addition, but somehow I'm guessing you don't need 3k Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

P.S. ROFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I had to go look that up [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Honestly I just don't have time to do as many wiki edits as I could before, so I try to make the biggest mark I can by focusing on templates, Javascript, and encouraging others. But I do still edit from time to time.

Last edited by loramin; 04-28-2020 at 12:46 PM..
Old 04-28-2020, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

don't need, nor deserve!
Closed Thread