Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 02-11-2023, 04:11 PM
Kobold

Default Alternatives to P99?

To tide myself over before the release of Green 2.0 (if it ever happens), I'm looking for alternative MMOs to play. Are there any other EQ private servers that have similar qualities as P99 (no multiboxing, no increased rates, etc)? Or maybe other oldschool-style MMOs that an EQ player would like (or interesting private servers for them)? Doesn't necessarily have to be popular.

These modern MMOs like WoW and FF14 just aren't doing it for me. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-11-2023, 04:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalora [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are there any other EQ private servers that have similar qualities as P99 (no multiboxing, ...
No to that (key) part right there. Every other major EQ server allows multi-boxing, which is probably a huge part of why P99 is so popular in spite of of it's classicness.

If you can stomach triple-boxing being allowed, I've heard TakP is a great server, and it goes up to (I believe) PoP. That may be your best bet.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No to that (key) part right there. Every other major EQ server allows multi-boxing, which is probably a huge part of why P99 is so popular in spite of of it's classicness.

If you can stomach triple-boxing being allowed, I've heard TakP is a great server, and it goes up to (I believe) PoP. That may be your best bet.
It does, and it is.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:46 PM
Planar Protector

There is a cottage MMO called Haven and Hearth which, if caught at the release of a new world, is the single purest source of "that original MMO" feeling I've ever been able to replicate in adult life.

It's a soft permadeath full PvP and PvE survival MMO designed by two insufferable Swedish libertarians. You start naked and alone in a very large procedurally generated world (takes over a full IRL day to travel across). You tame the land, domesticate crops and animals, hunt, roam, settle, build a farmstead, a town, or a civilization with other players, or strike it out on your own as a hermit, get involved in global or regional politics, join a player faction, find and trade coveted resources, and try not to get murdered by Russians, Koreans, or bears. The game uses a system of hybrid online/offline progression reminiscent of Eve Online.

It has some rough edges, like EQ, but if you can get into it it can be extremely rewarding. They essentially created the holy grail of sandbox player-run emergent open world PvP that Darkfall attempted so many years ago. Usually well over 1,000 people in a new world, steadily declining to a few hundred over the next year or two until it all gets wiped and starts over again with a new world. I believe they are on their 14th or 15th iteration.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:51 PM
Planar Protector

I've been playing Eden which is a Daoc "classic" server. They have some modern things but it's mostly like it was in the early 00s. Just google eden daoc to get started if it sounds interesting to you.

I'm in Albion mostly but every realm is pretty interesting in their own way.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 02-12-2023, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
designed by two insufferable Swedish libertarians
Notch?
Old 02-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Planar Protector

Ive been wanting to try eden.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:36 AM
Banned

There's an emu server for almost every classic MMO imaginable out there.

Eden DAoC just launched recently.

If you like EQ, TAKP seems to be popular.

Ashersons Call server called Levistras.

Even City of Heroes has a couple of servers.

I think the Warhammer MMO server relaunched?

There's a ton out there.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's an emu server for almost every classic MMO imaginable out there.

Eden DAoC just launched recently.

If you like EQ, TAKP seems to be popular.

Ashersons Call server called Levistras.

Even City of Heroes has a couple of servers.

I think the Warhammer MMO server relaunched?

There's a ton out there.
It did, definitely has a cult following.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:50 AM
Planar Protector

Not a MMO but Champions of Norrath for PS2 is a hoot.