Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did back in April, it didn't fix anything. Guess I should try again.

More worrying news: there are white lines showing up on my screen now, when I turn computer on and Windows is loading. They weren't there yesterday :s
how old is your monitor?
Old 08-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingme [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
how old is your monitor?
A few years. It's a cheap and kinda crappy one, too.

HP w1907

Red99
Old 02-20-2014, 06:41 AM
Planar Protector

Necrobump, but still very relevant. I kinda quit playing partly 'cause of this, and now I'd like to get back into things. The white lines don't seem to happen all the time, at least I haven't seen them in gfay. When playing my rogue I get really strange lag about everything. With autoattack on she doesn't attack, but can still take damage. After hitting sneak/hide it takes a while before the commands are recognized.

Tomorrow I can do all that stuff Thulack listed again, I'm going to bed now :P

Thanks everyone.

Red99
Old 02-20-2014, 09:24 AM
Planar Protector

Try discarding SLI for now and test using each GPU independently to see if the white lines persist with either cards.

I'm not sure how a graphics issue would create the problems you're describing in terms of gameplay lag, so long as your graphics rendering isn't slowing down too (everything gets choppy, or moves in slow-mo). That would typically indicate a connection issue. Out of curiosity, is this machine running hard-wired to the network or wirelessly?

If you ran through the suggestions to clean your system of malware and viruses without success, you may also try http://support.kaspersky.com/downloa...tdsskiller.exe as well just to be safe.

And if none of that helps, more information would be needed.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
HP w1907
Is it weird we're both using the same monitor?? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's the monitor I bought when I originally built my machine, and what I resort to when I'm not using HDMI into my 42" LED TV. I actually like mine quite a bit. It's been very reliable for how old it is now.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardalicious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is it weird we're both using the same monitor?? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's the monitor I bought when I originally built my machine, and what I resort to when I'm not using HDMI into my 42" LED TV. I actually like mine quite a bit. It's been very reliable for how old it is now.
Monitor twins!

I was thinking that the lag and graphical glitches are different issues, because the lag had been going on for a lot longer than the other. It's wireless connection. Guess I should try wired for a bit to see if the lag is fixed.

Going through Thulack's list of things again. I have no idea how to turn off SLI and just use one card.

Red99
Old 02-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Planar Protector

This page should help:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001167.htm

Turning it off (should) make your PC use whichever GPU your monitor is running through independently. If you still get white lines with it off, try plugging the monitor into the other card with SLI still turned off.

And yeah, after trying to clean the PC, I'd troubleshoot next by attempting a hardwired connection to your network to see if it fixes your lag.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:23 AM
Retired GM

Location: Cabilis East, in the northwest corner of the zone-in from Field of Bone

The lag on the icons is almost guaranteed network related. If you are able, plug your computer directly into your router (as opposed to wireless) and see if that fixes the issue.

Graphics/processor/ram issues wouldn't cause your spell icons to not be usable.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:02 AM
Planar Protector

Anyone recommend a reliable USB wireless NIC? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Red99
Old 02-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Aviak

Quote:
When no one else has any lag going on, my tells can sometimes be delayed for literal minutes at a time. Also affected: spells. I can start a spell, and not have it start until minutes after I cast it. Sometimes NPCs sneak up on me, and I die to them even though I have sow and should be able to outrun them.

My graphics have been bugging out, too. The screen will turn white, in... lines originating at a point? That point usually being a character/NPC model.

What's going on?
Your system specs that you provided in a follow up post indicate that it is a 6 year old chipset. Not new by today's standards by any means, but certainly substantial enough to play a 14 year old game.

Here's a roadmap that might help you identify your problem:
  1. Are these issues only experienced with Project 1999? If yes, there could be some file corruption and a re-installation of the game could solve the problem).

2. If your copy of Windows is an older installation (how many years has it been since you have performed a fresh install)? If yes, there could be some file corruption at the OS level. You would notice issues with other applications as well if this was the case, not just Project 1999. Back up your system and re-install everything fresh.

3. Has your ability to browse the internet been compromised in any way (eg. load times, timeouts, etc.), and does it coincide with performance issues in Project 1999? If yes, you may also be having some issues related to your internet connection. If other devices in the house are not experiencing connection issues, it could be a problem with the connection on your system (eg. bad Cat5 cable if directly connected, or internal ethernet/wifi card is failing, address conflicts). Some things to try include reversing the cable (if directly connected), disabling/re-enabling WiFi (if wireless), resetting the router and/or modem to refresh IPs. If none of these solve the problem, your card itself may be failing and it's time to get a service diagnostic check to identify hardware issues and potentallly hardware replacement (if you're quoted more than a couple hundred to fix, get a new system).

4. Is your system behaving abnormally in any software-related ways (eg. weird error messages constantly popping up)? If yes, you could have a virus. Back up necessary files, zero out your drive (format drive 7 times), reinstall everything fresh including an up-to-date anti-virus program and scan your backed up materials before bringing them back on to your cleaned system.

5. Is your system making any strange sounds, or is your monitor displaying anomalies (colour fluctuations, patterns, dimming, etc.)? If yes, it's time to take that thing in for service, as you may be experiencing some form of hardware failure. For a system this old, this isn't uncommon. A failing hard drive can cause some of the issues you describe before it craps out completely, so don't rule this out if none of the above solutions help you. Again, if you're quoted more than a couple hundred dollars for a fix (and is anything than a memory or HDD issue), consider system replacement. Some parts for a system of this age can be subject to premiums due to the age… it's just not worth it to spend more than 100-200 on something that may experience more failures in the near future.

Blue: (Inactive)
Pinoit Pumpie, Elleyne
<Bregan D'Aerth>

TAKProject: (Inactive)
Marshmallow Staypuffed, Pinoit, Pinot, Piia, Dahria, Freyja, Inaera, Naga, Bhut, Mata

Green: (Inactive)
Echofreya
<Black Lotus>

Formerly:
Babayaaga Danaeis, Ellyn Danaeis
~Xegony
Last edited by Babayaaga; 02-23-2014 at 01:06 PM..