Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawll [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why the hell would you start troubleshooting this issue with looking for overheating? Shit I would say virus wayyyyy before i'd think his PC is overheating haha. Lets start simple, does this only happen with everquest or does you system generally run slow? Also the lines and the screen going white, is this only on the game or does your desktop also turn white?
Because when graphics start having a issue its usually a overheating or video card problem not a virus. Viruses very rarely are built to screw up your graphics but not crash your PC.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because when graphics start having a issue its usually a overheating or video card problem not a virus. Viruses very rarely are built to screw up your graphics but not crash your PC.
You don't even know if the issues is with the game or his whole system. You don't know if other games or videos are doing the same. Calling out overheating is wayyy to soon before we even know major troubleshooting questions you should ask for this issue. Also if you have a virus that is eating up your memory (TONS of viruses do this nowa days) guess what well start to happen to your system?
Old 08-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawll [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You don't even know if the issues is with the game or his whole system. You don't know if other games or videos are doing the same. Calling out overheating is wayyy to soon before we even know major troubleshooting questions you should ask for this issue. Also if you have a virus that is eating up your memory (TONS of viruses do this nowa days) guess what well start to happen to your system?
Eitherway it takes 5 mins to check temps on PC. virus scanner takes much longer. And Also if it wasnt just EQ you figured she might mention something about it like "It also takes minutes for my browser to open" etc. If whole system is lagging in general do the following:

Install CCleaner and run it.
Google something called Rkill and run it(it stops known virus and malware from running).
Install Malwarebytes and run it.
Run whatever virus scanner you use in bootmode so it scans PC before you log into windows.
click start menu and in run bar type msconfig. Go to startup tab and disable the usual supspects from starting at windows startup(adobe,itunes,etc)

You might have to reboot a few times when installing the stuff just make sure you run the rkill then malwarebytes without rebooting so might have to install malwarebytes first cause i think it asks you to restart pc when done.
Last edited by Thulack; 08-01-2013 at 04:42 PM..
Old 08-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Eitherway it takes 5 mins to check temps on PC. virus scanner takes much longer. And Also if it wasnt just EQ you figured she might mention something about it like "It also takes minutes for my browser to open" etc. If whole system is lagging in general do the following:

Google something called Rkill and run it(it stops known virus and malware from running).
Run whatever virus scanner you use in bootmode so it scans PC before you log into windows.
click start menu and in run bar type msconfig. Go to startup tab and disable the usual supspects from starting at windows startup(adobe,itunes,etc)

You might have to reboot a few times when installing the stuff just make sure you run the rkill then malwarebytes without rebooting so might have to install malwarebytes first cause i think it asks you to restart pc when done.
All good suggestions, let us know if any of this worked for you.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Check the temps of your cpu and gpu(s)

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
http://www.gputemp.com/

When did this problem start?

How many processes do you have running? ctrl+alt+del/start task manager/processes

4g of ram.. you might have something eating it
Temps looks like they're 46-55ºC

Says 43 processes, but I can only see 13 things in the list.

I noticed this way back in April, at least the spell lag. It would make it nearly impossible to keep my groups healed for hours at a time, then would miraculously end and not be an issue for a few days.

Red99
Last edited by Faerie; 08-01-2013 at 07:23 PM..
Old 08-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Planar Protector

A friend was trying to show me LoL (game looks pretty boring), and there would be those lines originating from player units or spell effects.

Red99
Old 08-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Doing this now, thanks!

CCleaner installed stuff onto my browser I think.. some weird 24x7 Help thing. Uninstalling that.

Red99
Last edited by Faerie; 08-01-2013 at 07:32 PM..
Old 08-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Planar Protector

ah yeah sorry forgot to tell you ccleaner has a install thing you just have to click no to when ask to install.

edit: 24/7help thing doesnt sound right though think it just asks if you want to install chrome.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Planar Protector

CCleaner says it fixed some issues, but there are 100some still unfixed. I click to fix it and it opens browser wanting me to buy something :P

Malwarebytes now into C:\Windows\System32 (almost done I think) and has detected 14 objects.

Red99
Old 08-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Planar Protector

do you have the demo for pro or something? should just downloaded the free version.

Downloaded from here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner ?