Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 03:36 AM
Kobold

Default Warrior Aggro

Hey people, just looking for a little help. I played a Wood Elf Warrior back in 99-01. I decided to do the same class/race combo again for nostalgia of course! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

My problem comes down to aggro or Mob hate to be more specific. I'm currently level 15 using a Screaming Mace, and Unicorn Shield. All skills are maxed, or close to being maxed (got 15 not long ago.) My stats are 78 strength, agility is 100, and dexterity is 84. I have all skills available up to lvl 15 (Dual Wield, Double Attack Etc.) I cant remember if I had problems holding aggro on a mob back then or not with a Warrior. Ive also forgotten, what exactly increases aggro or hate on a mob.
Ive been grouping with shadow knights, and their spells pretty much end up being instant taunts. Where as, I'm lucky if my taunt does anything at all. Even though, I have better equipment/weapons I cant hold the same type of aggro as them. Could someone please explain to me the intricacies of classic hate/aggro on mobs? I just feel like I'm doing a terrible job, when in reality; I'm doing all I can to get them to just even glance my way at times. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Thanks in advance [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Ps. Is it just me, or do mobs hit like a freakin MAC truck? I dont recall them ever being so brutal sometimes, but then again I dont remember simple stuff. Just curious.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:55 AM
Fire Giant

Mobs hit for a lot. Taunt isn't very useful until higher levels when you are fighting blues. Warriors cant old aggro over SK // Pally's due to super-hate from spells.

weapons that proc are your only hope until you are fighting blue/light blue mobs, and even then, you have little hope.

Im a 46 war.. BTW
Old 02-11-2010, 04:37 AM
Kobold

Quote:
I'm currently level 15 using a Screaming Mace, and Unicorn Shield.
If you want to increase your aggro generated, never ever use a shield, instead use two one hand weapons that proc some sort of stun/dd/snare/whatever on your target. Having high dex helps too.

Quote:
I'm lucky if my taunt does anything at all
Taunt, if successful, puts you at the top of the aggro list ahead of the second person by 1 aggro point. Once you are on top of the list, the only way in classic to keep building aggro is to continue to do damage, procs, and other abilities like kick/disarm/whatever (if disarm wasn't broken...). Taunt does almost nothing if you're already at the top of the aggro list, it is not a good way to build aggro. Try and save it to use immediately when you lose aggro. It also fails.. a lot.. and in classic there are no failure messages.

Quote:
Taunt isn't very useful until higher levels when you are fighting blues.
This doesn't really make any sense, taunt fails more on higher cons, but it still works...

Quote:
Warriors cant old aggro over SK // Pally's due to super-hate from spells.
Any Pally/Sk in a group as dps with a warrior that is tanking should learn to minimize their hate by not casting stuns or snares, etc. However, in an all out competition, I'm sure a hybrid would prevail.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:55 AM
Kobold

Not that it matters much, but Unicorn Shield is basically an 8/40 piercing weapon with 10 ac. Ill try to find a good 2h with a proc and see if that helps. Thanks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-11-2010, 05:58 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Ill try to find a good 2h with a proc
I don't know if you read what I posted wrong but I strongly recommend two one handers for when aggro is needed. 2H is nice when you're just dps. I think tanking 2 handers were introduced with PoP. Blade of War, etc. And mostly only because riposte is pretty bad when you're fighting something that hits for like 5k. I doubt we'll see that in classic. :P
Old 02-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Kobold

Yeah, you can for sure hold aggro well with 2 Short Sword Of the Ykesha ... If you have the money.

Good 1 handers and proccing 1 handers are mostly expensive to buy whereas some two handers are affordable and can dish out some good damage, moreso if you got a haste (<3 you Chanters/Bards). While having two good one handers is your best bet, at lower level (at 15 only few procs do proc) a 2 hander is nice to have.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Orc

If you are seeking agro for cheap money - get 2 stun whips.(Gnoll Hide Lariat - 15-20pp per. Even free for kind people) They are almost got the same agro as 2 SSoYs. But damage on them are weak. I even used them to lvl 50 when grouping, as damage from a warrior dont matter much if grouping with a full group.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Aviak

Get a Langseax of the Wolves. It's more than enough for aggro at your level if people aren't being stupid about DPS. This advice is from experience.

Also Gnoll Hide Lariats are going to be useless until they start procing.
Last edited by Rifter; 02-11-2010 at 08:48 AM..
Old 02-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also Gnoll Hide Lariats are going to be useless until they start procing.
This is true. Wont proc untill lvl 25 - but probably will be your best agro, unless you get SSoYs.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Taunt, if successful, puts you at the top of the aggro list ahead of the second person by 1 aggro point. Once you are on top of the list, the only way in classic to keep building aggro is to continue to do damage, procs, and other abilities like kick/disarm/whatever (if disarm wasn't broken...). Taunt does almost nothing if you're already at the top of the aggro list, it is not a good way to build aggro. Try and save it to use immediately when you lose aggro. It also fails.. a lot.. and in classic there are no failure messages.

This is not the way I remember taunt working in classic. It was not snap agro and is not snap agro here. Taunt adds threat (i.e. builds threat), this is the reason you taunt 2-4 times before breaking mez.

If I am wrong please elaborate...
Closed Thread