Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 03:39 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imagine a necro book or something going to someone who has next to no chance of snagging one under normal circumstances <3
That's generally not what happens, as most of the people at the raid are in raiding guilds :/ I think the only necro book from an open raid went to a member of that one guild that gets the lion's share of 7 day content.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the only necro book from an open raid went to a member of that one guild that gets the lion's share of 7 day content.
So there's "open raids", and "open" raids... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-03-2020, 08:34 AM
Kobold

Thats RNG, %s, and Confirmation Bias.

With a few Epic exceptions, loot is distributed based on the Class / Race specifications of them item, to 46+, and the winning Character has to be on the engagement log.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:41 AM
Planar Protector

I don't care about the loots but I will never pass up a chance to be Charmed and Diseased!

Thanks for everyone involved in making that happen! See you next time!
Old 08-03-2020, 12:04 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thats RNG, %s, and Confirmation Bias.

With a few Epic exceptions, loot is distributed based on the Class / Race specifications of them item, to 46+, and the winning Character has to be on the engagement log.
This isn't a belief I had nor ever expressed before attending the open raids, so it's not confirmation bias :/

The issue at hand here is the vast majority of attendees are already in raiding guilds, so the likelihood of items going to raiding guilds is high, making the scenario where an item goes to someone who wouldn't have a chance at it otherwise, very rare. We are talking 95%+ of attendees here (though feel free to provide logs to prove otherwise). Further, guilds can redistribute loot internally, so any given guild has extra rolls on an item proportionate to the number of characters of that class that already have said item.

Yesterday, I watched someone who already owns a piece of god loot, from the guild that gets most of the god loot, roll on said loot and win said loot.

Honestly, I'm very glad these open raids exist. But the narrative that casuals have a shot at god loot is mostly fiction, and there is room for improvement in this regard, imho.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:20 PM
Planar Protector

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This isn't a belief I had nor ever expressed before attending the open raids, so it's not confirmation bias :/

The issue at hand here is the vast majority of attendees are already in raiding guilds, so the likelihood of items going to raiding guilds is high, making the scenario where an item goes to someone who wouldn't have a chance at it otherwise, very rare. We are talking 95%+ of attendees here (though feel free to provide logs to prove otherwise). Further, guilds can redistribute loot internally, so any given guild has extra rolls on an item proportionate to the number of characters of that class that already have said item.

Yesterday, I watched someone who already owns a piece of god loot, from the guild that gets most of the god loot, roll on said loot and win said loot.

Honestly, I'm very glad these open raids exist. But the narrative that casuals have a shot at god loot is mostly fiction, and there is room for improvement in this regard, imho.
this is dumb and bad, unlike open raids, which are cool and good. a daniel won a Tunarian Scimitar this week and we have like five active members.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:27 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Sorry, was not suggesting your specific case was Confirmation Bias, just saying others that might feel that. It's in inescapable side effect of RNG. I totally agree with your statement and that's what I meant by the %s.

I love to see the loot go to those with less opportunity to hit this content as well, but the fact of the matter is the bulk of the people getting it done are in raid guilds with access. The stated goal of the UN Open Raids is for those with less opportunity to experience the content, not necessarily be handed the loot. That said, there are always discussions going on around these policies.

Perhaps you're aware of something I am not, but the conflict I was aware of was the Carmine Robe (not god loot) and it was handled within the rules:

Quote:
37.6) Plane of Hate & Fear armor drops will be rolled by only those that can equip the item. Guilds still have the right to distribute loot if their member wins the roll. If the winner of the roll is either role or anon then they forfeit their roll and it will be awarded to the next person with the highest roll. Roughly 30 secs will be allowed to unanon/unrole. (Edited: This is in regard to the open raids described in policy 37)
Even if that wasn't the case, I'm not sure what can be done there. We'd have to have historical loot logs of every player to enable people to be disqualified if they had looted said item in the past. It's just not realistic. I know a lot of people work very hard to make the events as enjoyable and fair as possible. The loot distribution has always been a challenge, but I think we are getting better at it and I appreciate everyone's patience and understanding. For example, we had some major concerns being vocalized in events past about Characters that were not there for engage, and I think we've been doing a great job since ensuring they are on the engagement and the community having some faith that that is indeed the case.

Quote:
this is dumb and bad, unlike open raids, which are cool and good. a daniel won a Tunarian Scimitar this week and we have like five active members.
Working as intended. New requirement stipulates at least one piece of DaG loot goes to Daniel. All praise the mighty Daniel! (it's the only way to satiate his bloodlust)
Last edited by Cawin; 08-03-2020 at 12:30 PM..
Old 08-03-2020, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

Seems obvious enough to me that most the players who want to raid are going to join raiding guilds. That's hardly rocket science. You'll get a minority who linger in other guilds for whatever reason (role-play, friends, etc) but mostly in open raids you're going get folks looking to augment their normal drops, or gear up alts, or folks from second-tier raid guilds that don't always win. Take myself as an example: I don't join big raiding guilds because I don't care for raiding. There are quite a few open raids on "Blue." Number of them I've attended in recent memory: Zero--because, again, I don't care for raiding in the first place. In other words, looks like your event's working as intended. When you host or attend an open event the best thing you can do is treat it like "neutral territory" and ignore whatever guild tags you see.

Danth
Old 08-03-2020, 01:09 PM
Fire Giant

I believe the open raids provide a net good for the community. There is no doubt about that. Let's please keep them going!

However, the ostensible purpose of the open raids is somewhat murky due to their origins. The missing context is they largely came about as a result of a compromise between the top raiding guild and the rest of the server with regards to sharing the limited end game content.

So I believe they can simultaneously be an undeniable good for the community and yet flawed as a compromise.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:55 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
I believe the open raids provide a net good for the community. There is no doubt about that. Let's please keep them going!

However, the ostensible purpose of the open raids is somewhat murky due to their origins. The missing context is they largely came about as a result of a compromise between the top raiding guild and the rest of the server with regards to sharing the limited end game content.

So I believe they can simultaneously be an undeniable good for the community and yet flawed as a compromise.
The origin of the open raids actually exists far before that. Green server first naggy and vox were open raids. Seal Team hosted monthly open raids up until the merge. After the merge Seal Team proposed open raids to the UN and was shot down. It was only when the Federation proposed bag limits and rotations that ST was able to push through the open raids proposals. Yes it was a compromise, but not on ST side... it was a compromise of the other guilds who wanted exclusive raids for themselves.
Closed Thread