Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 11:15 AM
Banned

Default News Flash: PNP isn't classic.

I think some of you have been playing P99 for so long that you forgot what actual classic was like. 20 years ago, I don't remember there being a system in place that allowed the same group of players to hold camps indefinitely while largely AFK, in a different zone or even offline and asleep. This idea that /lists are moving further away from classic is hogwash.

I've only been playing P99 for about 2-3 months, so my memory of Classic EverQuest is very different from someone who may have spent the last 10 years on Blue. To me a /list is MORE classic than being told I'm simply not allowed to farm content that is trivial to me because someone who is asleep right now has the right to the camp for the unforeseeable future -- and if I should challenge this the way a player traditionally would have 20 years ago -- my account will be banned.

It's really sad too because when the younger generation of WoW players ask me why EverQuest was better than WoW, I always tell them that it's because the game was truly the wild west -- you could do whatever you wanted, but your actions had consequences, and your reputation mattered. In 2020, that's no longer the case.

So no, /lists are not getting further away from classic -- the need for /lists is a direct result of the PNP. Instead of calling people care bears, you need to realize that the system we're playing under right now makes everyone a care bear by default.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think some of you have been playing P99 for so long that you forgot what actual classic was like. 20 years ago, I don't remember there being a system in place that allowed the same group of players to hold camps indefinitely while largely AFK, in a different zone or even offline and asleep. This idea that /lists are moving further away from classic is hogwash.

I've only been playing P99 for about 2-3 months, so my memory of Classic EverQuest is very different from someone who may have spent the last 10 years on Blue. To me a /list is MORE classic than being told I'm simply not allowed to farm content that is trivial to me because someone who is asleep right now has the right to the camp for the unforeseeable future -- and if I should challenge this the way a player traditionally would have 20 years ago -- my account will be banned.

It's really sad too because when the younger generation of WoW players ask me why EverQuest was better than WoW, I always tell them that it's because the game was truly the wild west -- you could do whatever you wanted, but your actions had consequences, and your reputation mattered. In 2020, that's no longer the case.
Early WoW wasn't much different than early EQ. If you were an asshat, you didn't get groups. it would cut both directly in not getting the invites, while also indirectly in that you would forever be under geared so no one would want to hold their nose and take a chance on you in the future.

in some ways, early WoW was even more unforgiving in that you had virtually no way to solo content that would drop level-appropriate gear and generally there were very limited ways via the auctionhouse/crafting to get gear at the upper end of the spectrum. Hunter's/rogues might have been exceptions in that they had some great crafted gear options even early on, but that was just a handful of gear items, they'd still be left with a lot of shitty pieces. a rogue with a barman's shank was on a whole other level than one with whatever random garbage you bought off the AH. The better shit was almost always bind on pick up, unlike EQ where much of the better early stuff you didn't need to loot yourself. You could go buy a sash, mith, or a manastone if you had the dosh and there were many solo-oriented ways of obtaining that money and solo/duo players capable of obtaining much of it.

Even with the planes in EQ you could just get a PUG and farm trash for shit almost as good as anything else in the game available. You couldn't show up to onyxia or molten core with some scrubby PUGs in WoW, and shit there blew the doors off anything else you could get.

The real difference was you were much more likely to have previous interactions with everyone else in EQ. So you more readily knew who was a shithead, and who wasn't, because you were all tossed into the same zones. The process of finding out who the assholes were was just more streamlined but fundamentally not much different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So no, /lists are not getting further away from classic -- the need for /lists is a direct result of the PNP. Instead of calling people care bears, you need to realize that the system we're playing under right now makes everyone a care bear by default.
Nah, lists aren't there because the PNP. Lists are there because the load on the staff would be ridiculous if they had to relitigate elf pixels every time a new set of manbabies walked into a "legacy camp". Not sure what you referring to with carebears. That's an old term poking fun at people on non-pvp servers( or non-pvp games in general).

As far as /list "feeling" more classic, it tends depend on the server you played on and the time period you were referring to. There were plenty of cases on my server of people gatekeeping content from other people and certainly guilds/groups monopolizing camps. it didn't happen often but it certainly happened. But it would have certainly have happened a shitload moreoften if people could look into the future like we essentially can on p99, knowing what is going to be nerf/removed. it seemed the GMs on their respective servers set the tone for how these interpersonal squabbles would be dealt with and people just went along with whatever the server standards were. if your GM was fairly Laissez-faire, then you better bring a nuker with to secure your kills from Ksers. Sure you can blacklist that asshole in the future, but he's stealing your manastone/sash today.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:28 PM
Banned

Quote:

This server is filled with a bunch of assholes

Raiding on P99 isn't even about the content. It's about fucking over other players. I guarantee that whoever is hoarding Summon Corpse pixels is getting a lot more enjoyment out of doing that than by raiding any dragons.

Go to any high ZEM zone. Nothing but whining and what constitutes a camp in OOC. PnP is out the window. People are straight up a bunch of pricks and will hoard multiple camps if they can get away with it and be total dicks about it.

The mentality of the modern gamer can't coexist within the development of a 20 year old MMO. EQ's Design is archaic. People are shitheads. It's oil and water.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:47 PM
Banned

Uh you must not have played ultima online in 1997-98

People being dicks is not remotely a new thing. It's also infinitely more interesting than modern mmos where there are no high highs and no low lows. You just kind of feel distantly invested in your character and it's not particularly satisfying nor disappointing when anything happens.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:12 PM
Kobold

Low lifes are generally assholes.
Low lifes like everquest.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:13 PM
Planar Protector

To be honest your post is pretty convoluted and not really clear on the point you're trying to make, especially considering the title. Are you saying rules didn't exist? Are you saying people could monopolize content? Or are you saying they couldn't?

If you're saying rules didn't exist, you're certainly incorrect. I was CSR and involved in creating some of the rules that existed.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:23 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordgordon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Low lifes are generally assholes.
Low lifes like everquest.
Blame f2p?

"if the rules are all you use to determine what you should or shouldn't do, you're probably an a-hole" -soup

Hooden • Xegony enchanter '00 - '02 • <Aeternus> from SoD '06 - '07
Old 07-29-2020, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Uh you must not have played ultima online in 1997-98

People being dicks is not remotely a new thing. It's also infinitely more interesting than modern mmos where there are no high highs and no low lows. You just kind of feel distantly invested in your character and it's not particularly satisfying nor disappointing when anything happens.
The original Ultima Online gave the players the ability to police themselves (Open World PVP)

They should create a Guild War system on P99 that automatically flags a guild war once a guild successfully kills a raid target. All guilds that have killed a raid mob are flagged PVP to all the other guilds that have also done so.

Guilds can create alliances that removes this flag between the guilds that have formed the alliance. Example: Federation wouldn't be PVP flagged between each other. Only to other guilds that have successfully killed a raid target outside of their alliance.

PVP would be based on level and guild membership. Will never happen but it would certainly create a possibility for resolution beyond bitching in RnF. Would definitely make the game a lot more interesting and put an end to cock blocking pixels.

Let the guilds police themselves with open world PVP - GMs take a hands off approach and watch it burn
Old 07-29-2020, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People being dicks is not remotely a new thing.
I never said it was. You know it's been 20 years and I'm still angry at some of the people who fucked me over on this game. You would think bygones will be bygones, but when people aren't held accountable for their toxic behavior, and likely never changed, it's hard for me to look back and think "I forgive that 40 year old man who stole a Tranquil Staff off of me and proceeded to viciously cyber bully me, suggesting that I commit suicide, knowing that I was a 12 year old kid at the time."
Old 07-29-2020, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
You know it's been 20 years and I'm still angry at some of the people who fucked me over on this game.[/I]
Time for a break?
Closed Thread