Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estolcles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So what's the take on Elder Scrolls Online in comparison to everything else coming out/already out?
It was voted the biggest disappointment by almost the entire Massively staff at E3 this year. I was already on the fence, but I think I'm cleanly on the side of No at this point.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawqueue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was voted the biggest disappointment by almost the entire Massively staff at E3 this year. I was already on the fence, but I think I'm cleanly on the side of No at this point.
I was feeling the same way, but I have a buddy working on it now and he's told me they have been working hard for most of the year tuning the game away from WoW and back towards Elder Scrolls. That, and the recent announcement that it will be subscription has peaked my interest again.

There are still several things going against it from my point of view (they are apparently having a cash store *as well* which is just complete bollocks), there are no less than three different levels of instancing etc., but I am definitely more interested.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Planar Protector

I am looking at it this way...

ESO is going to be like Skyrim with friends. If you liked Skyrim style play and want to be able to enjoy that style of content with other folks then ESO looks like it will strongly appeal to you.

For me, it looks like it is definitely worth giving a whirl, but I can tell already that the only way I'm going to enjoy ESO is most likely if I am playing with folks I already know (either IRL or folks I know from other MMOs). I don't think there will be much meaningful socializing in game.

The content itself it looks like total hack and slash, cookie cutter content, good lore and story lines. Maybe I'm getting older, but I'm starting to feel like I only have so many hours in my day that I can justify playing a game of virtual dress-up. If I take on another game to actually play more than an hour a week then it needs to be something I can totally immerse myself in or it just isn't worth it anymore. Probably a 1 time purchase and install...followed by an uninstall a few weeks later when the novelty wears off.
Last edited by fastboy21; 08-27-2013 at 09:50 AM..
Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Fire Giant

Dug Skyrim but the constant dialogue menus and zoning got old fast....And not crazy about how the inventory works...everything all piled into one list, be it some crap loot you just picked up or the gear you are wearing. But I guess Oblivion was the same. I played them on console so not sure if PC was different.

Great games though....I'm really curious if there will be any scaling like those games are known for?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Great read, t0lkien. Thanks for sharing that.

Made me fondly remember my days of playing EQ before there was even an expansion. I never leveled up that high but loved exploring what the game had to offer and finding little quests because they were cool, not neccessarily for the loot.

Hoping for some fun out of ESO, but not holding my breath..

Nerbalik 23 Gnome Necro
Obeciroth 35 Gnome Wiz
Perfidious 19 Gnome Enchanter
Strega 25 Halfling Druid
Ublaatz 47 ERU SK

Zephyrfist 36 Human Monk
Old 08-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Skeleton

This has been a conversation that has been going on with myself and others for years. One friend of mine swears by the philosophy that "you never forget your first time." That is what worries me, that we find kinship over a game that was our first time in an MMO world.

No game to this day has given me more joy, more sense of accomplishment, more frustration and more confusion and more adventure and desire than EverQuest. I played the WoW and her progeny, Guild Wars and even EQ2 and all of them are always missing something.

I believe that something is the combination of game mechanics and a communal archetype that made it such a memorable game and I would argue the only MMO that got it right, at least for the first two expansions.