Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 11:20 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelbor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The level range you're in right now - the early 20s right before you get Canni, Regen, and an upgraded poison at 24 - is probably the absolute worst and most frustrating part of leveling a shaman.
So true. Just grind through it to 24 and claim your reward as Zelbor mentioned above. This is the point where the shaman really starts to take off and become fun!
Old 01-11-2020, 04:43 PM
Kobold

Having played necro and druid both previously I to thought there was no way dots should stack except for 1 post and 1 pre 50 of the same line (magic and fire line for druids for example). Turns out shammys are insanely overpowered as all of their dots stack with previous, you can stack affliction with not only infectious cloud but sicken (level 5, 2 / tick) as well.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:12 PM
Kobold

Just hit 34, I was wondering how that chagnes things. So far I have been root rotting at 24+ . . .
pre-buff with AC / Regen
1. Disease dot
2. Poison dot
3. Root
4. Start Canni if mana is low and hp are above 80%
5. apply poison dot and root when needed.

At 34 I assume this will change with new root and pet. Will it go something like this . . .
pre-buff ac/hp/regen
1. send pet
2. Disease dot
3. poison dot
4. root
5. pull back pet
6. Start Canni if mana is low and hp are above 80%
7. re apply poison and root when needed

I havent leveled to 34 yet but i imagin this is how it will go. I am going to head over to OOT and try and camp a Ebon War Spear and give this method a shot. Let me know if you do things different.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:44 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewingMachine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
At 34 I assume this will change with new root and pet. Will it go something like this . . .
pre-buff ac/hp/regen
1. send pet
2. Disease dot
3. poison dot
4. root
5. pull back pet
6. Start Canni if mana is low and hp are above 80%
7. re apply poison and root when needed

I havent leveled to 34 yet but i imagin this is how it will go. I am going to head over to OOT and try and camp a Ebon War Spear and give this method a shot. Let me know if you do things different.
You've got more or less the right idea, and you'll undoubtedly figure your tactics out in practice. A couple things to keep in mind:
1) Be careful you don't allow your pet to do more than 50% damage, or it'll take half your XP. The easiest way to ensure this is of course to wait until the mob is at 49% to sic your pet, but your DOTs will continue to tick after that point, so you can experiment with the best time to send in your pet without losing partial XP (the answer will vary based on your level and your target's HP).
2) It's sometimes more mana efficient to slow the mob your pet is tanking rather than burning your target down faster and/or having to heal your pet. I strongly recommend a downranked slow (I used Walking Sleep all the way to 50) because you probably don't need the higher-level, more expensive ones. Again, experiment to find the sweet spot where your pet does just under 50% damage without dying while you spend the least mana in the course of each fight.

Quick edit to add: I also recommend STR and haste buffing your pet. Some people think haste is a waste of mana and that it makes the pet more likely to inadvertently steal XP. I disagree, but again: experiment for yourself to decide what you think works best.
Last edited by Zelbor; 01-13-2020 at 07:47 PM..
Old 01-13-2020, 11:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelbor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You've got more or less the right idea, and you'll undoubtedly figure your tactics out in practice. A couple things to keep in mind:
1) Be careful you don't allow your pet to do more than 50% damage, or it'll take half your XP. The easiest way to ensure this is of course to wait until the mob is at 49% to sic your pet, but your DOTs will continue to tick after that point, so you can experiment with the best time to send in your pet without losing partial XP (the answer will vary based on your level and your target's HP).
2) It's sometimes more mana efficient to slow the mob your pet is tanking rather than burning your target down faster and/or having to heal your pet. I strongly recommend a downranked slow (I used Walking Sleep all the way to 50) because you probably don't need the higher-level, more expensive ones. Again, experiment to find the sweet spot where your pet does just under 50% damage without dying while you spend the least mana in the course of each fight.

Quick edit to add: I also recommend STR and haste buffing your pet. Some people think haste is a waste of mana and that it makes the pet more likely to inadvertently steal XP. I disagree, but again: experiment for yourself to decide what you think works best.
You're suggesting not sending pet in for half of a fight, but using mana to keep the pet str and haste buffed? What's the point of that?
Old 01-14-2020, 02:26 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're suggesting not sending pet in for half of a fight, but using mana to keep the pet str and haste buffed? What's the point of that?
Er, no, I said that waiting until 49% to sic the pet was a guaranteed way to be absolutely certain pet wouldn't take XP. I also said that a player can and should experiment with when exactly to send in the pet in consideration of the DOTs ticking on it so as to maximize the pet's damage without allowing it to do more than 50% total. In most cases soloing, I would send in pet around 65-70%.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:54 AM
Planar Protector

You said it was the "easiest" way, which read to me like it was a suggestion! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Anyways, when leveling my sham 34+ with a standard "disease dot, root, slow, pet, poison dot, optional nuke/poison dot depending" sort of method, I found that only rarely could my pet steal exp. This was when 1) he was hasted (and usually str-buffed too), 2) he was a high-level summon for the pet level, 3) I had just moved to higher-level monsters to fight but without getting new dots. When I first noticed this I just took the easy route and stopped giving my pet offensive buffs. Saved me mana and attention to haste timer and ensured he wasn't going to steal exp.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:03 PM
Kobold

I am excited to try both ways i will report back with my findings of the most mana efficient way. I might go murder some halfling guards.