Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Negative, it means you attacked the target sooner than anyone else except possibly the person who's acting as tank. Rampage works based on order-of-engage. Other players can overtake the rampage target's aggro but he'll still have rampage; that's how healers get stuck with rampage damage sometimes. Once you have rampage the only way you get rid of it is either clearing off the hatelist entirely (feign/etc) or moving outside its range limit. You're not necessarily second on aggro so much as you're a good shaman who likes to aggressively slow stuff--as it should be.

I agree that Shamans in solo/duo/smallman situations generally want to slow stuff ASAP. I like telling the wife to cast as soon as she's in spell range and as quickly as cooldown permits. If your tank is a Paladin or Shadow Knight or similar high-hate class then that's no issue, but if you're running around with a Warrior or Monk or similar melee who generates less frontloaded threat then the Shaman's probably going to be getting hit.

Danth
Interesting, that is good to know! I just assumed EQ had simpler logic for this, since the hate list already exists. That means they have a separate list for Rampage as well.

I guess I just don't notice that nuance too much, since groups have a small amount of people anyway, and raids are usually much more organized in terms of people ensuring they have their agro together. If a rogue or something gets agro, they are usually dead in two seconds anyway lol.

EDIT: And yes, I do agree with Isoka that if you do have an awesome group composition, a Shaman can be more flexible overall in terms of when they need to start Slowing/Debuffing. I didn't mention the presumption here (my fault), which is many 6+ Dragon groups are anything but awesome group compositions. They tend to be pick up groups with guildies or people in the zone, so it is a bit of a crapshoot for group composition, levels, and overall gear. This means Shamans are usually required to Slow and debuff ASAP, since they are often the only primary healer in the group. Torpor isn't that great of a heal when a mob is unslowed, especially when that mob is dealing 200+ damage per hit. You really need the mob to be slowed for Torpor to consistently out heal the damage. Otherwise, I would need Chloroblast on bar to spot heal while Torpor is still ticking.

If I do get a perfect group in any situation, then most encounters are quite easy anyway, and all racial bonuses basically become pointless.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 07-30-2020 at 12:06 PM..
Old 07-30-2020, 12:14 PM
Fire Giant

Imagine being this salty
Old 07-30-2020, 12:19 PM
Fire Giant

Did you guys know Ogre's are far superior in the casting world because of frontal stun immunity? lol
Old 07-30-2020, 12:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imagine being this salty
Yeah, some people get really offended by the Shaman race debate. Not sure why to be honest. I just assume people want straight information about the game, so they can make the best choice when trying out a new class. I don't think anyone here is claiming a re-roll of your character is required to be a good Shaman. Play what you want. Some people simply like Min/Maxing (myself included), and that should be supported just as much as a person who plays one race exclusively due to that race's awesome fashion.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:51 PM
Aviak

Holy shit, the haters in this thread. Sickening. Nice content OP ty
Old 08-16-2020, 02:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbaal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Holy shit, the haters in this thread. Sickening. Nice content OP ty
Thank you very much[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-16-2020, 03:02 PM
Sarnak

Well, apparently there is not that much of a difference between races, or else everyone would agree which one is the best...

So, Barb Shaman for this inexperienced clumsy player [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-16-2020, 03:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, apparently there is not that much of a difference between races, or else everyone would agree which one is the best...

So, Barb Shaman for this inexperienced clumsy player [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's pretty much what it boils down to. Just play the race you like looking at.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycon43 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's pretty much what it boils down to. Just play the race you like looking at.
There is objectively a best Shaman Race. Read my guide for more details[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Some people prefer Min/Maxing over fashion. These types of discussions are for those people. Knowledge is power, and people like to know what benefits they can expect from each race, and what they are missing.

Everquest is a LONG game, and some people want to make the best version of a class. This is because most people are not going to make multiple characters of the same class. Some people do, and that is awesome, but it isn't super common.

If you prefer fashion over Min/Maxing, that is completely fine too[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

EDIT: No Shaman race is so bad or so good that it changes which content you can do. This is why Shaman racials are not a huge issue at the end. That doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile to know which race is the best, if that is what you want to know.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-16-2020 at 03:26 PM..
Old 08-16-2020, 03:39 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is objectively a best Shaman Race. Read my guide for more details[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Some people prefer Min/Maxing over fashion. These types of discussions are for those people. Knowledge is power, and people like to know what benefits they can expect from each race, and what they are missing.

Everquest is a LONG game, and some people want to make the best version of a class. This is because most people are not going to make multiple characters of the same class. Some people do, and that is awesome, but it isn't super common.

If you prefer fashion over Min/Maxing, that is completely fine too[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

EDIT: No Shaman race is so bad or so good that it changes which content you can do. This is why Shaman racials are not a huge issue at the end. That doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile to know which race is the best, if that is what you want to know.
I mean in your own guide you break down pre-torpor/torpor/raid exclusive sections and each #1 race is different.
Closed Thread