Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 02:02 PM
Sarnak

Question Iksar Shammy - pre-twink

So, I've never played a shaman and was thinking about maybe starting one when Kunark comes out.

I may start setting some gear aside now.

Any thoughts or recommendations to get started right?

Thanks,
Old 06-10-2020, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

So, I'm one of the least min/max people here: I fully encourage people to make Human Monks, Barbarian Shaman, etc.

But ... I also think people should at least be aware that there are trade-offs to different races, and as such I just want to warn you that Iksar are (IMHO) the worst Shaman race, for one simple reason: they have all the pros/cons of Trolls, except that instead of suffering from large size they lose the ability to wear Jaundiced Bone Armor (and other plate armor) ... and that armor (the Jaundiced Bone Bracer in particular) is really good.

To be clear, I AM NOT SAYING YOU SHOULDN'T MAKE AN IKSAR SHAMAN! I'm just saying, if you haven't even looked at http://wiki.project1999.com/Shaman#P...the_Right_Race yet ... you should. Then, if you still want to, by all means go roll an Iksar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But maybe once you weigh the pros and cons, you might not even want to wait for Kunark, and you may wish instead to roll an Ogre/Troll/Barbarian Shaman today!

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-10-2020 at 02:19 PM..
Old 06-10-2020, 03:28 PM
Sarnak

Assuming you do go the route of the Iksar I'd recommend getting a pair of 5/55 or 6/65 rings. After that get what you can out of this list: http://wiki.project1999.com/Shaman#Gearing
Old 06-10-2020, 04:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or, the better (IMHO) ... http://wiki.project1999.com/Equipping%20a%20Shaman

It has everything that first link has, plus the total stats of every major shaman suit of armor, plus a hand-curated list of items that matter because of procs/clicks/regen ... eg. the JBB [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:27 PM
Sarnak

All very interesting. I thank you all for posting.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or, the better (IMHO) ... http://wiki.project1999.com/Equipping%20a%20Shaman

It has everything that first link has, plus the total stats of every major shaman suit of armor, plus a hand-curated list of items that matter because of procs/clicks/regen ... eg. the JBB [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never knew that page existed. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2020, 01:47 PM
Planar Protector

@OP short and sweet. Get to level 60 as fast as possible, Get torpor. Enjoy your new life as a shaman with torp. No other gear or spell compares to what a game changer torp is for the shaman class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never knew that page existed. Thanks!
Loramin has been working on a few projects in the background, here is another
https://wiki.project1999.com/Equippi...%20Necromancer

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] He does great work on the wiki

edit ps. It's linked on the shaman page
https://wiki.project1999.com/Shaman#Gearing
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 06-11-2020 at 01:52 PM..
Old 06-11-2020, 02:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
@OP short and sweet. Get to level 60 as fast as possible, Get torpor. Enjoy your new life as a shaman with torp. No other gear or spell compares to what a game changer torp is for the shaman class.

Loramin has been working on a few projects in the background, here is another
https://wiki.project1999.com/Equippi...%20Necromancer

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] He does great work on the wiki

edit ps. It's linked on the shaman page
https://wiki.project1999.com/Shaman#Gearing
/blush

My goal is to someday build up a page for every class, because I think every class has "notable" items: they either have a meaningful click, proc, or other effect (pet focus effects, HP/Mana regeneration, haste, etc.) ... or, for weapons, they could just have a good damage/delay ratio for how attainable they are.

The problem is, I don't know every class's items the way I know Shaman: a lot of that Necro page came from a thread someone started about key Necro items. My hope is that other people will run with the idea, and add items to existing pages, or create new ones for their class.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:52 PM
Sarnak

I'm semi-torn between making my own thread and hijacking this one so.....

Many years ago I made a barb shammy back on Saryrn server. Somewhere around level 3 or 4 frustrations got the best of me and the delete button was used. A little while later my wife did the same. She ended up making an iksar shaman and levelled it to 90 something, lots of fun.

Fast forward to me playing on p99. Barbarian rogue, leveled to 4 or 5 then met the delete button. Barb warrior didn't even make it to level 2.

Barb newbie area in Everfrost just plain sucks. Even Nek forest and Toxx are better. Any tips to surviving EF until a swarm of yellow and red con's don't have it out for me? Am I just lazy/spoiled with Field of Bone, Steamfont and Misty Thicket?
Old 06-11-2020, 04:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I'm semi-torn between making my own thread and hijacking this one so.....

Many years ago I made a barb shammy back on Saryrn server. Somewhere around level 3 or 4 frustrations got the best of me and the delete button was used. A little while later my wife did the same. She ended up making an iksar shaman and levelled it to 90 something, lots of fun.

Fast forward to me playing on p99. Barbarian rogue, leveled to 4 or 5 then met the delete button. Barb warrior didn't even make it to level 2.

Barb newbie area in Everfrost just plain sucks. Even Nek forest and Toxx are better. Any tips to surviving EF until a swarm of yellow and red con's don't have it out for me? Am I just lazy/spoiled with Field of Bone, Steamfont and Misty Thicket?
The first character I ever made on live was a Barbarian, so to me it's just a typical EQ newbie area. I think the really key things are to ALWAYS keep track of where you are (those white walls make it difficult, but you can learn the area), and try to pull mobs out of the "stream" of mobs, to the side where you can't get adds.

Also, run like hell from any skeleton model you see until you can confirm that it's not a Vengeful [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Within a few levels you'll be able to head to Qeynos if you really dislike EF that much.

Closed Thread